LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Hunting Reports/Discussion

10 deer licenses sold to kids under 1 year of age.

11/29/17 @ 10:59 AM
INITIAL POST
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

Read on the WEAU website that 10 licenses were sold to "hunters" under 1 year old this season.

Unethical parents exploiting the law for a $5 tag.  This was not the intent of removing the age restriction.  Luckily, the youngest reported harvest was by a 4 year old.

Displaying 91 to 105 of 110 posts
11/30/17 @ 1:44 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

I think it's great when i hear people say " my 8 year old is into it and is more mature than most adults".  Stop lying to yourself people.

It's almost as bad as someone saying "I shot a big body nub buck".  Please.....

And replying to the OP,  yeah that 4 year old shot a deer using a lead sled.  Oh how fun that must have been.  Really proud dad moment there.  Let's get out of LaLa land and stop making a joke out of Wisconsin.  It's not to keep the tradition alive,  it's for the money.  Stop giving the Government power by patronizing this BS.  Let them find some real solutions to decreased hunting participation or just increase the license fees $10 a person...stop with all the BS about reducing the herd more,  there aren't the deer they say there is.  

If they are concerned about money,  which they are...just increase the license fee by 10%,  big deal.  Then when 100k more drop,  raise the price again 10%.  i'll pay it and the hunting will be WAY better.

11/30/17 @ 12:37 PM
Eyetest
Eyetest
User since 7/12/01

Just heard that the DNR is considering making it mandatory that each deer stand has a changing station.....

11/30/17 @ 10:35 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Im sure it was a joke....basically poking fun at the POS that allowed the law to pass in the first place.  Just a horrible attempt at generating more revenue to make up for declining numbers.  Who cares,  less hunters,  more woods to everyone else.  Plus there are way less deer than 30 years ago and no one was talking about killing more more more.  WDNR is bought and paid for when it comes to deer.  If they would manage the deer like they do those prehistoric turds sucking mud off the bottom of Winnebago,  WI could have the best hunting in the nation. 

11/30/17 @ 9:21 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I can see it now, the DNR will start to weigh in on the 'when does life begin' debate. Pregnant women lining up outside of the capital, protesting for their second license.

11/30/17 @ 9:04 AM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

Rumor has it that the DNR is going to revamp the age rules.

Next year pregnant women will be able to buy 2 licenses. One for themselves and one for there fetus

11/29/17 @ 3:33 PM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

It is illegal for a mentor (or anyone else in the hunting party) to fill a junior tag, so buying one for your kid just so you can use the tag is a no-no.

It's inconceivable to think a 10-month old could effectively shoulder a gun, point it at a deer, center the sights/crosshairs, and shoot.  Sure, the parent could hold the gun, aim it, put the kid's finger on the trigger and have the kid pull it, but that's hardly the infant "shooting the deer."  Then factor in the potential for damage to the kid's hearing and body.......it would be interesting to see what would have happened if someone DID register a deer, saying it was their baby's. 

11/29/17 @ 2:10 PM
blackbrd
User since 1/9/07

This irresponsible law only creates food for the antis hope they dont introduce this crap in michigan

11/29/17 @ 1:54 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

Could be a joke too.  I can see someone doing it just for a Facebook picture.

11/29/17 @ 12:38 PM
7thson
User since 6/4/06

Not always about the kid actually shooting a gun , but, free antlerless permits ?

11/29/17 @ 11:44 AM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

I've asked the DNR about the fishing thing before.  Their stance is if the kid can hold the pole and reel the fish in, they can have their own limit.  The parent is allowed to bait the hook and take a fish off the hook.

But I agree - letting a 10-month old fire a rifle is endangerment.

11/29/17 @ 11:17 AM
ere
User since 2/22/07

When politicians run the show this is what we get.

11/29/17 @ 11:17 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I actually thought that was pretty good.  There are far more than 10 idiots out there so only having 10 take advantage seemed like a win.

I assume though that some of the tags bought for older kids were still used in the same manner.  4 year olds can't even talk in decent sentences but hey, take this gun.  Always going to be some brilliant parents out there, like the one who put a swimming pool on their van and had the kid sit in the pool to weight it down as she drove down the road.  Out of 600,000 people, some of them are going to be like that.

Think about it like fishing.  You can't keep a limit of fish for a 1 year old or anyone for that matter.  Each person must be able to show they can catch their own fish.  So for the parents who double dip with a kid, technically if stopped they must show that the kid can catch his own fish.  Should have to show the kid can shoot the gun.  Those 10 people would be in jail for child abuse.

Displaying 91 to 105 of 110 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE