netloss
User since 8/4/03

https://youtu.be/qccpwbauqZU?si=a_6YQYCHauxZjjsh

Displaying 30 to 44 of 119 posts
2/4/24 @ 10:23 AM
prj
User since 6/19/01
Paul A. Smith has another piece in the MJS re: the Spring Hearings and states:
Wake boats are the topic of several WCC advisory questions. One will ask if the Legislature should create a statute prohibiting the use of wake boat ballast systems on Wisconsin's lakes and rivers. Another will ask whether statutes should be modified to allow wake boats to operate only on state waters larger than 1,500 acres, more than 20 feet deep and at least 700 feet from shore and other lake users.

Wisconsin spring conservation hearings resume in-person for 2024.webloc
2/3/24 @ 10:02 PM
Bodhi77
Bodhi77
User since 1/9/21
Interesting reads. Nice to see so many states at least starting address things. Looks like vermont is the only state going after the ballast issue so far. I do think that 50 acre lake rule is a bit ridiculous, as that is way too small. I mostly fish lakes 3000 acres plus and think they are too much for those lakes. If i had it my way the only place they would be allowed here is Bago, Lake Michigan and the Mississippi. 
2/3/24 @ 9:11 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07
2/3/24 @ 9:05 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
https://www.nmma.org/press/article/24016

I found this as I was researching the subject, but this is a summary written by the folks who like wake boats lol! But it does speak to your question. 

I do know that Vermont Is leading the charge. And Colorado is doing some stuff too!

Im uncertain what Michigan or Minnesota is doing.

2/3/24 @ 8:53 PM
Bodhi77
Bodhi77
User since 1/9/21
Brent I'm already not a fan of the WI DNR and how they handle fisheries management in general. I have not looked but I'm curious as to if you know what our neighboring states are doing as im sure they have the same issues. I know states do have different laws in place but you would think WI would be looking into this.  
2/3/24 @ 8:51 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
I would add this has been a great discussion all.

It's always nice when folks can have an open and honest discussion without some of the nonsense you see on other discussion boards. 

Looks like all the civil folks hang out on this thread :)
2/3/24 @ 8:36 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
That's exactly my point 100%

But it's not happening.  For whatever reason wardens don't feel empowered to check wake boat ballast tanks.

That direction has to be coming from the top.

Why? No clue, but it's fairly obvious nothing is being done about the issue. ​
2/3/24 @ 8:31 PM
Bodhi77
Bodhi77
User since 1/9/21
I'll fully agree if they are checking they should indeed check everyone.That and this would likely get things rolling in the courts fairly quickly as to if randomly checking people without consent violates their ​4A rights.
2/3/24 @ 8:20 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
Im more of a simpleton...

You could ask all those same questions of a fisherman, so enforce it or don't.

For the waterways that I frequent (Tichigan and Plum) both only have 1 launch that would support a wake boat.

A warden could launch their boat, take a spin around the lake, see whose doing what (take pics if they like) and then go back to the landing and wait. Check the fisherman's live well and the wake boats ballast tank. 

Warden's do this type of stuff all the time. 

Right now it's not happening ever! Wardens could watch someone actually draining their ballast tank (on a wake boat), knowing it can't be completely emptied, and no inspection will happen.

On the flip side, come in to the launch in a Lund, Crestliner or other fishing boat, and the warden will ask to see your live well.  I had it happen to me on Delevan.  

Was I fishing just because I was in a fishing boat after dark? The warden's answer was yes (and he was right lol).  But if I'm in a wake boat, I was probably just harmlessly site seeing with no water in my ballast tank. If a fishing boat is fishing, then a wake boat should be wake boarding - you can't have it both ways.

It's a double standard that should be acknowledged.  The fact that it isn't being acknowledged, is exactly why we're in this spot!
2/3/24 @ 8:18 PM
Gillespie
User since 2/6/19
Plenty of precedents have been set in Wardening for decades and decades.  While the wake boat issue is new, Wardens doing these types of checks, investigations, and enforcements in very similar types of cases (checking live wells, game bags, shotgun shells, etc.) is nothing new.  Plenty of case laws are in the books backing up Wardening work.

All we are asking them to do is enforce the rules!
2/3/24 @ 8:10 PM
Bodhi77
Bodhi77
User since 1/9/21
 Are wardens on the water seeing this? Are they seeing it from shore? Are they getting registration #s when they observe this? How many landings are on the lake? How big is the lake? Where are they doing the checks? 1 landing or all of them?  How reliable is it a warden knows a boat has water in the ballast from sight alone? These are all things a defense attorney will ask and likely many more. The problem also becomes if someone is able to fight this to the highest court and wins, then that case could set a legal precedent. My guess is the DNR is being very careful to make sure checks hold up to legal challenges before they undertake them.
2/3/24 @ 8:05 PM
Gillespie
User since 2/6/19
Agree.  And we didn't even bring up the cases of Natural Resource agencies conducting vehicle stops and searches.  Happens all the time in Ontario, and big fisheries like Lake Erie.  Agencies also conduct mandatory vehicle stops and searches for big game hunters out west and bird hunters leaving the Dakotas.  Also states are now stopping anglers coming into their states looking for illegal bait and invasive species.
2/3/24 @ 7:58 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
Think we're in agreement!

It's exceedingly rare that I see a wake boat on the water that isn't wake boarding! 

I know when I'm on Tichigan and I see a warden or town LEO, I see them a dozen times!  

They have a solid idea of what most boats are doing!

If they in turn start to enforce their right to inspect based on their observations, this problem would start heading toward resolution. 

But because they don't, nobody cares, and the boat manufacturers are not making any changes, and only live wells are being inspected. 

2/3/24 @ 7:54 PM
Gillespie
User since 2/6/19
That's exactly what Brent and I are saying.  Wardens have legally defensible reasons to check any ballst tank, live well, etc.
2/3/24 @ 7:51 PM
Bodhi77
Bodhi77
User since 1/9/21
Coming on your property would likely be considered part of their regular duties, and they would likely come up with a "reason" as to why they were there. Again though, if you were in violation and took it to court those reasons would be scrutinized also. But it's the same as the police can generally always pull you over for something, but they can't then just search your vehicle.
Displaying 30 to 44 of 119 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE