INITIAL POST
wet-net
User since 1/8/03

Did I interpret these right?

Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 posts
5/28/16 @ 9:58 AM
fishtrapp
User since 6/16/09

Without knowing what model/brand this is...can't say.  Do you have an instruction booklet to tell you anything?  Some units will show a thick, different colored area to represent a hard bottom....other brands it is a thin color band for a hard bottom.  If I had to guess, your unit is showing a "thin" bottom color for a hard bottom; I'm basing that off of whatever the "hump" is in the picture...I'm guessing that is probably a hard bottom.  When all else fails, ask Google!

5/26/16 @ 4:01 PM
chuckc
User since 3/21/14

I am learning on my new unit as well.  On the first one, I would call it that too ( hard / soft) according to all the years of using some sort of unit as well as the instruction booklet.  I throw out a question though... seems weird, usually I have seen the shallower portions of the lake be harder with the basin filling with silt over the ages.  Seems the other way around here.

The one with suspended "fish" sure looks like fish to me, but it could also be litter in the water, like in below a dam ( turbulent water holding up leaves and such).  I would generally call them fish though.

The color view of the last one does make it seem like a stump with bigger fish above it, but my short experience with the downscan seems to show it is very good at showing the wood or rocks and even showing branches etc that are very distinct.  This one does not seem to show any of that. I wonder if it is instead a school of bait or smaller fish on the bottom ?

More of this show and tell would be very useful in learning how to decipher the screens.  How do you take a screen shot ?

ChuckC

5/24/16 @ 8:25 AM
mendota
PRO MEMBER User since 12/19/01

Really impossible to say without knowing your speed relative to the objects, and how sensitive your sonar was set.

Cone angle?  Or are these "down image" shots?

Knowing about the water also makes a difference - interpretation would be different on the Great Lakes, as opposed to Mendota, for example.

Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE