SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

fishing tournaments

5/2/19 @ 3:04 PM
INITIAL POST
hook, line&sinker
User since 4/18/07

HOW MANY FISHING TOURNAMENTS ARE TOO MANY?  82 Plus last year. Notice we now have a tournament from Minnesota in Lake Winnebago. 60 percent walleyes expire at the end of some of these tournaments.  What are your thoughts.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 27 posts
6/30/19 @ 10:49 PM
MrPig
User since 3/24/16

I know that this will sound like "not in my backyard" whining but the tournaments invading the Willow Flowage in Oneida county are really out of place,  Every description  of this fishery notes its seclusion and "Canada-like" experience.  Bass boats with their big motors tearing around and competitors pushing, shoving, and arguing at the landing IMHO don't fit that image.  Add to that that they pretty much monopolized one landing for launching and the other landing for weigh-in makes this kind of activity an unwelcome visitor at this outstanding water resource.

6/25/19 @ 9:23 AM
Peterskeeter
User since 2/6/11

"The Bass Pro Tour" or any out of state tournament can stay away. They don't care about the fish habitat, spawning areas or the LAWS of local lakes. I watched their LTB- lucky tackle box boat running wide open in the no wake zone exiting the FDL river yesterday. Very disrespectful of the local waters!

6/23/19 @ 8:35 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

I have no problem with the tournaments, bago is a very busy place with anglers and pleasure boats... ...from a publicity and conservation perspective,  it would be cool to see all walleye tournaments adopt something like the AIM tourneys... and bass tournaments to adopt the MLF tournament styles... seriously,  those types of tournaments are probably the future 

....overall,  I think tournaments are good for the sport,  and can be leaders in conserving the resources 

6/23/19 @ 5:35 PM
hook, line&sinker
User since 4/18/07

Again , lots of tournaments on Winnebago.  How does this affect the average fishermen. Will they  continue to fish or quit.

Shame to see a beautiful lake being used for money.  It's all about the money and the sponsors.

6/20/19 @ 1:23 PM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

A bass tournament on Lazy Lake is an absolute joke. The lake has a 18” size limit on it for a reason. All of those 250 hp motors tearing up the two foot deep water is destructive.

6/20/19 @ 1:00 PM
Fish repellent
Fish repellent
User since 2/4/14

After a buddy and I drove over an hour to fish 200 acre Lazy Lake a few years ago in March and found the lot full of bass rigs I have little use for them.

6/19/19 @ 2:16 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Mercury needs to keep the teams out of that stupid channel and speed the weigh in process up if they don't want the huge die-off and bad PR.

6/19/19 @ 11:45 AM
RZfishnut
User since 1/31/16

I had friends who worked the big tournament the other week cleaning fish to give away.

They said the numbers they cleaned and numbers posted sure didn't add up!

They were pretty upset they had to "kill" so many fish that were already marked down as released .

6/13/19 @ 1:15 PM
Quester
User since 1/28/07

I don't have any problem with tournaments, it's the number of them......it seems like every week!

They should prohibit the pre fishing part a week leading up to the actual tournament, no pre scouting or even in a boat on that body of water!

Going in cold turkey would make a more interesting event, not to mention it would take alot of pressure off the boat landings during the week and free up the prime spots for the general public!

6/12/19 @ 6:53 AM
esoxal
User since 6/29/01

I will only support immediate release events.  High mortality and displacement issues associated with on site weigh in events is unethical given the options available today.  

5/21/19 @ 3:35 PM
Thump55
User since 7/19/04

I only fish walleye...sorry.

edit: Well this post looks stupid now that they removed the post it was in response to.

Carry on.

5/21/19 @ 1:38 PM
Thump55
User since 7/19/04

Fact: I kill and eat WAY more walleye now as a recreational angler than I did when I fished tournaments. Way more.

Or stated another way:

The resource was better off when I was a tournament angler.

This is where your mind gets blown: If the facts above are true (which they are), actually having MORE tournaments would be better for the system.

Flame away :)

5/10/19 @ 1:26 AM
h2ofowlmedic
User since 9/7/08

With the fish donkey app and the tourney x app right now there really is no reason to have a catch, keep release later format unless it is a big tournament where they use it for media. The catch photo release format that is doable with smartphones is going to be better for fish.

5/9/19 @ 5:31 PM
eyelooking
eyelooking
User since 2/28/05

I am a catfish tournament angler fishing tournaments nation wide. I have a 2015 Crestliner Intruder Catfish Edition 2000 20 ft tournament boat which has a 80 gallon live well along with the aerators. I also have a oxygen tank with a oxygen stone. I also use live well additives along with the "Survivor" live well system while the boat is moving. I know for a fact that the fish are weighed and then released are in better shape then when I caught them. 

5/9/19 @ 4:18 PM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

Having fished bass tournaments for years and occasionally fishing for walleyes now, I can tell you the walleye are much more fragile than bass. I would think that a CPR tournament for walleye and bass would be beneficial to both species.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 27 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE