SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Battle on Bago, 2018

1/29/18 @ 4:22 PM
INITIAL POST
Thefishburglar
User since 12/16/09

Less than a month away, the ice has repaired itself. Hopefullly the warm stays away this year, although 35/40 isnt bad the days of.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 37 posts
2/27/18 @ 5:49 AM
Thefishburglar
User since 12/16/09

But once again thank you volunteers for taking time out of your own schedules to make this tournament possible. 

2/26/18 @ 6:11 PM
killsnake
User since 2/17/14

Your asking the people in the tournament to weigh each fish before they register them when the people at the scales can't even use a bump board and if they did say oh well your close enough. Not saying all of them did but they all should have been doing everthing the same. The only people who got screwed where the honest ones following the rules of the tournament. Next time you go to bago weigh all your fish and see how many perch, crappie, and whitebass you get over a pound.

2/26/18 @ 5:04 PM
Thefishburglar
User since 12/16/09

Thump, we had a .97 whitebass, how does one know the weight until you try, unless you have your own digital scale.  Now I did see some fish registered in the .3 range, that seems a little goofy to bring in. I could definately see the benefit though of a weight minimum. 

A couple of years ago I believe the cut line for 2000 place was like 1.1 

One of the fun parts of the tournament is not knowing which fish are going to make the cut

2/26/18 @ 4:49 PM
Thump55
User since 7/19/04

Implementing a 1 pound minimum would have saved over 7300 fish, many of which probably didn't even get cleaned because they were too small.

BOB needs to do the right thing and implement a minimum weight, even though it will mean less people weighing in and buying beer at the tent.

I like the tournament, but they need to do the responsible thing for the fishery. There is absolutely no reason besides $ they can't implement a minimum weight limit.

2/26/18 @ 4:15 PM
hunting4keeps
hunting4keeps
User since 3/13/17

It was my first time participating and I had a great time and want to participate next year. Pulled my fist saugers through the ice and they were decent sized, which of course didn't count for the battle but will be tasty none the less. Made some rookie mistakes and lost some fish, too. Uuuugh. Bummer to think the season is almost over. A few take aways...

That was one crazy line for checking in fish! We got in it right on time. We were in line about an hour and a half, not bad. Woulda brought more beer if I knew.

Holy cow I can't believe the noise polution! I didn't expect it to be so loud with vehicles driving all over every time they heard someone found some fish and they fled to each new location, often with out concern for their fellow fishermen. 

Migr8r was right on, I was pleasantly surprised to see how clean the ice and tent area was. 

I feel like it was pretty well organized considering they don't know what the turnout is gonna be until ticket sales end Thursday night. 

The event seems to be growing fast and if they are smart they will continue to adapt and make changes to keep it a positive experience overall. I think most people had good things to say. 

2/26/18 @ 3:06 PM
CCA
User since 6/19/01

Guy measured mine three times and pinched tail everytime and then excepted it. I hate cheaters and they did affect the placing which is a shame. However, we had a great time and will try again next year. I wish it would just become a whitebass tourney and be done with the other species.

2/26/18 @ 2:50 PM
killsnake
User since 2/17/14

Just a question for people that registered fish at the Battle on Bago. When you had a fish that was close to the slot when it was measured did they squeeze the tail? I know of more than one fish that was over 18 inches with the tail squeezed but was accepted because the tail wasn't squeezed. But I also read that some people were denied with the tail being squeezed. You would think with all the prizes at stake they would have been by the book on measuring fish. Congratulations to all the winners. I'm all for the rule change but if your going to make rules changes last minute follow them. Just one person not doing it the same changed the entire outcome of the tournament prizes.

2/26/18 @ 1:10 PM
pike eyes
User since 12/28/10

BigJim you are so correct

2/26/18 @ 1:09 PM
pike eyes
User since 12/28/10

2/25/18 @ 9:31 PM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11

I fished an area that started in the morning with 6 vehicles in a small area. Someone let the word out that the fish were there and it grew to 500 vehicles by the end of Friday and just as many on Saturday. We went in to register fish and went back out hoping that after a few hours of no traffic that the fish would be biting. There was no one there late in the day. 

I was absolutely stunned that there was no garbage left behind. I saw one soda bottle that I’m guessing inadvertently flew out of a truck or something. Really quite impressed and glad to see that. 

2/24/18 @ 5:33 PM
Thefishburglar
User since 12/16/09

A Big Thank You goes out to all the BOB committee members and volunteers who make this tournament possible. 

We look forward to it every year and appreciate all the time and effort/planning that goes into making such a big event great.

2/24/18 @ 1:39 PM
JAK79KEL
User since 5/24/06

When and where do results get posted? Curious for fish and separate raffles.  Thanks. 

2/21/18 @ 9:48 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Bigjim, so i guess you're at least learning something then. Keep reading.  

2/21/18 @ 7:36 PM
Bigjim4cats
User since 12/28/17

The people who rant on here all day without giving ANY fishing reports EVER are the one you know CANT CATCH FISH

short barrel I say you definitely fall into this category

And he’s claimed to be a know it all about EVERYTHING!!!!

doesnt matter if it’s best reel, best bluegill lake, best bait for walleye, best crossbows, best flathead baits, best whitebass lure, longest turd etc. you wanna meet the worlds biggest “KNOW IT ALL” ask short barrels.

i subscribe to his posts just for the pure entertainment value after work it gives me something to read while I’m on the crapper!!! I get 5-7 emails a day giving me new insight about how great short barrels thinks he is!

Keep spending your time on here, leave the fishing to people who can actually catch them.

2/21/18 @ 1:12 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Did I miss something? Did somebody put something up and pull it?

Otherwise that's a hell of a rant for no apparent reason!

Displaying 1 to 15 of 37 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE