MORE
Waterfowl Hunting

2023 DUCK and GOOSE REPORTS.

7/24/23 @ 6:52 AM
INITIAL POST
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02

What's everybody seeing out there on this bone dry year?? Most smaller potholes are dry or just a puddle not seeing much for local hatch either atleast for ducks, some geese but very few and far between SE WI.

Displaying 61 to 75 of 139 posts
10/16/23 @ 9:13 AM
panks
User since 10/22/08
I had numerous opportunities 2 minutes before shooting hours today. Thank God I don't shoot early. First time I got checked by a warden this year.
Two shots and two Drake woodies.  Great morning.   
2023 DUCK and GOOSE REPORTS. photo by panks
10/16/23 @ 6:35 AM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02
Not seeing  much around fri pm in the rain I opted to sleep in sat am and do some garage stuff was a good call, we got back after them yesterday am and ended with 4 geese and a few missed opportunities on ducks aprox 20-25 ducks seen and several flocks of wary geese but not as many as we've seen in previous weeks. slow in se wi, hope we get another push coming. still great to be out with old friends on a nice autumn morning.

goodhuntin all!
10/15/23 @ 3:25 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
PRO MEMBER User since 12/9/08
Stuck inside all day today.  Looked like it would have been a beautiful morning out there, regardless of shooting a bird or not.  Feeling the crisp morning air, the north wind, and hearing the sound of "fighter jets" (divers) surprise buzz you would have been good enough for me.

Pic of Mr. 4 curl yesterday.  The most curls on a drake mallard I ever killed was 6. 

And another pic of the drake black duck.  Those things are just beautiful.  He would have been sent to Birdman Studios in Colorado, but his right wing wrist and 2 primaries were badly shattered and the pose my son wanted would not be possible.  
2023 DUCK and GOOSE REPORTS. photo by SuspendedMusky
10/15/23 @ 12:30 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09
Hunted Saturday day morning. Not nearly the birds around as last week but did manage a game haul of greenheads! Unfortunately I some how broke and lost my reed to my mallard call. Anyone out there know who makes custom reed inserts? Happy hunting!
2023 DUCK and GOOSE REPORTS. photo by grizwald
2023 DUCK and GOOSE REPORTS. photo by grizwald
10/15/23 @ 11:17 AM
panks
User since 10/22/08
Thanks SM
10/15/23 @ 11:14 AM
panks
User since 10/22/08
Slow morning for me.  One ringer I gave to an old timer in marsh.  His dog made a great retrieve on it.
Swans flying in circles all morning.
10/15/23 @ 7:58 AM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09
Thanks SM,  lotta season left and I know you prefer the late season bigger water action.
Another fine morning at the wood duck oasis. 
2023 DUCK and GOOSE REPORTS. photo by Fowler2
10/14/23 @ 4:46 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
My son was out in the rain this morning with a friend and got 6 birds; 2 woodies, 3 mallards, and this drake black duck.  One of the drake mallards was a big, 4 curled bird, but it was dwarfed by the black duck....so much bigger.

Panks and Fowler - nice pics.  Wish I could be out there this weekend, but I am tied up on a project.  
10/14/23 @ 11:29 AM
panks
User since 10/22/08
Two Drake Woody's and a bonus mallard today. Picture of first wood duck this morning.
10/14/23 @ 8:52 AM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09
Pair of mature Woodie's for the 2nd opener. Rather slow. Haven't seen much for the bigger birds yet. Recent rainfalls is doing well on water levels. Good timing hopefully hold some birds in the state into Nov.
2023 DUCK and GOOSE REPORTS. photo by Fowler2
10/12/23 @ 9:13 AM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09
Due North
That is a bummer. I was hunting on the north end of Nelson. Sure didn't hear much banging over that way.
10/12/23 @ 9:02 AM
hotbait
PRO MEMBER User since 5/16/16
Let it rain! Please do a rain dance for the ducks. It will be nice to have some ponds fill up. Geese - crock pot - a layer of sauerkraut - goose breast - saurkraut - goose breast - saurkraut - put on low for 6 to 8 hours. Eat the breast and toss the kraut.
10/10/23 @ 6:18 AM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02
Just started trying this method for geese, crock pot on medium to low atleast 6hrs   layer of water or broth in bottom, seasonings which ever you prefer, worcchestshire sauce and a 1/4 or less cup of vinegar mix cube and layer goose breast and put in and slow cook the meat falls apart from the vinegar you can make anything with it then. really good!
10/10/23 @ 1:08 AM
Due North
User since 10/31/10
This is not a report, unfortunately I made a mistake at the end of a duck hunt in the Hayward area on Sunday morning.  The long story,  short is I left my gun at the boat landing, and when I realized and returned for it about an hour later it was gone.  I'm taking a shot in the dark and hoping for the return of my gun.  It was left at the Wozny Rd. Boat landing on the Totigatic flowage.  It has been reported as missing to both Sawyer and Washburn counties.  Thanks for your time and if you have any other suggestions of places to post, I'm open to ideas. 
10/9/23 @ 8:20 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
Tonight, I butterflied and marinated the breast meat from 3 bluebills.  I grilled them and then cubed the meat.  I added that to grilled green beans, carrots, sweet onions, and covered it with cracked peppercorn.  It is extremely delicious.
Displaying 61 to 75 of 139 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE