MORE
Walleye Fishing

trolling crankbaits with 1oz inlines

2/4/15 @ 7:29 PM
INITIAL POST
rkloehn
rkloehn
User since 3/20/08
how long of a leader do you guys run when trolling 1oz inlines? does the 2:1 line back to feet down still apply with crank baits? thinking of switching to this setup so i dont have to run so much line back. if there are better options please tell. i do own snap weights as well but not a huge fan of them
Displaying 1 to 15 of 20 posts
5/31/17 @ 10:14 PM
muskyslayer
muskyslayer
User since 5/9/02

Why snap weights for cranks? Is leadcore not an option? Today's leadcore will give you 7ft per color on top of the depth your lure is running anyway. It is much easier to make depth adjustments on the go and dial in the feet needed to get the reaction of the fish.  Snap weights have their place when it comes to crawler harnesses but cranks and snaps are not for me.  

3/23/17 @ 9:19 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

If you are running 2 or 3mph it will not be 50%.

3/22/17 @ 10:12 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Yep run your leader as long as your rod.  Running 1-3 MPH, you depth will be 50% of the amount of lien you have out.  50' of line will get you down about 25'

3/19/17 @ 7:01 AM
walleye27
User since 1/25/07

run your leaders as long as your rods

11/21/16 @ 5:22 PM
dr fish
User since 12/31/02

I use Off Shore red releases,they have a pin in the jaws of the release that will not allow the snap weight to come off.

10/22/16 @ 10:44 AM
RickB 1950SF
RickB 1950SF
PRO MEMBER User since 5/13/13

Love Tadpole diving weights using stick baits. Easy to use and the dive charts are accurate. Have even used em for deeper suspended crappie on southern lakes. 

7/19/16 @ 12:38 PM
fishintechnician
fishintechnician
User since 8/23/11

I prefer to use snap weights over inlines when I'm pulling cranks . Seems I can control the depth better . When I'm using spinners I normally use inlines unless the waves are very big . Then I would switch over to snap weights to keep the surging down . It really depends on how deep you are fishing . I've pulled both on Erie and Green bay . Snap weights are so much easier to use then inlines (for cranks) . I was just up on Green bay for a week and did a little practicing with inlines and cranks . Ran about 6-8 feet in between the weight and the crank . I run longer trolling rods (9 & 10 footers ) so I had no problem reeling in and netting fish . The problem came on S turns when I would stall the inside boards . The weight would drop and the lip would get full of moss or mud and the lure wouldn't run properly . Stalling the inside boards almost always will trigger bites on the stalled boards or the outside boards that speed up so I am constantly changing speeds and stalling to trigger bites . Over on Erie when I'm trolling deeper water it's not so much of a problem (harder bottom?) . Precision trolling book has depth charts for snap weights but it's more of a general (get you in the area) chart . I've found that time on the water and keeping good notes is better . Inline weights and spinners is generally every 2' of line out brings the spinner down about 1 ' (40' of line out about 20 ' down (AT 1MPH) . Wind picks up or you're going faster you'll need to let more line out to reach that 20' level . Again time on the water and keeping good notes helps me there . I was running 65' out in 30 fow and the spinners would only touch on the S turns . When I would pick those back up off the bottom is when i would get bit . Let the fish tell you what they want . I'm constantly changing speed , weights , line length , blade colors , lures til I get bit then change some more . Time on the water and experimenting makes you a better fisherman . Let us know how you do .

5/11/16 @ 10:15 AM
lvtofish
User since 2/2/05

I like inline weights because they help keep crap off your lures.  5 feet is plenty of line. 

4/30/16 @ 5:08 AM
codyk
User since 4/28/02
Like everyone else, I use snap weights. I believe with a crank bait and snap weight you get 33% deeper than without a snap weight.
4/29/16 @ 6:41 AM
Don Varese
Don Varese
User since 6/20/01
When using snap weights, put a snap swivel on the weight and clip it to the line in case the main snap comes un-done, then if will just slide down to the bait. Unfortunately it's one more thing to snap when putting out baits and one more thing to unsnap when landing a fish.
4/28/16 @ 4:31 PM
fishfillet
User since 1/8/13
check out Tadpoles made by Offshore Tackle.
4/28/16 @ 1:01 PM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
User since 3/20/02
I don't think the 2:1 ratio will be accurate as the crank's own dive curve will add to the depth.
4/28/16 @ 12:03 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12
True in the snap weights, just unclip them. I have used both snap weights and in lines, can't really say I prefer one over the other. My only concern on snap weights is if you are pulling say spinners, if you get going to slow, and the snap weight can snag on bottom and pull off.
4/27/16 @ 4:05 PM
nubbz07
User since 12/31/09
I would use the snap weights myself. no extra knots to brake or leaders to tie. just one more snap on your line just like a planer board.
4/27/16 @ 12:31 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12
Personally when using in-lines, I don't go much over 5', as the other guy said, you gotta be able to wind up and net the fish.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 20 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE