MORE
Walleye Fishing

Crawler Harness Night Crawlers - Reuse?

7/10/15 @ 11:20 AM
INITIAL POST
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
Does anyone reuse their crawlers after dragging them around on harnesses for a few hours? I haven't pulled harnesses in years until this week. I was surprised when I quit for the day that the crawlers were still not only alive but quite lively. So I put them back in the container. I figure why not at $6+ for two dozen. I checked them in the frig and didn't find any dead ones. I don't want to have the whole container perish because of one or two that die because of their "injuries".
Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
7/22/16 @ 5:16 PM
chuckc
User since 3/21/14

I also use half a crawler on my rigs, which sound similar in distance between hooks.  To me there is no sense to using the whole worm unless I am on a place like Erie or Saginaw Bay, or maybe even Little Bay.  Sharpen them hooks up so fewer misses.  

ChuckC

7/21/16 @ 8:39 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

No offense taken.  I tie my own harnesses as well.  I'll put a couple together with a 3-4" space between hooks and give that a try.

7/20/16 @ 3:29 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

A dozen crawlers at the gas station on the way to the launch costs about the same as a Flicker Shad.  Do you just toss a Flicker Shad in the water when you're done fishing if it's still in good shape?

And yes, I am stingy.  I'll ponder whether or not I should have been embarrassed about it when I retire at 60.

9/29/15 @ 12:29 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
Well I gave it a try and kept crawlers that were still lively after being dragged around the bay this summer. I checked the container that I kept them in weekly and changed the bedding a few times. I did have a couple die but I caught them before they decomposed to the point where they harmed the others. I understand though that this wouldn't be worth the risk if I had a huge flat of them. No sense risking the whole bunch for a few crawlers.
7/28/15 @ 10:57 AM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12
I fish a fair amoutn and buy crawlers by the flat or 1/2 flat, never buy by the dozen of any live bait. But then again I never buy live bait either. Kind of funny, I just had this conversation with a buddy of mine last night. I baby my bait, and treat it with TLC. Crawlers, go into tupperware containers with holes poked in the lid, and stayin the cooler on ice. When I ened one, I pull it out, use the crawler and put contain back in cooler when done. I never reuse a crawler, they are cheap, toss it in the lake. To answer your question don't reuse your crwalers. At leat in my opinion.
7/10/15 @ 4:51 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12
Yes, if I will use them in the next day or so. Not if I wont use them for another 2 weeks.
7/10/15 @ 2:18 PM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01
Can't say that I have ever tried it, or even heard of someone doing it. That doesn't mean that it might not work out for you. Keep an eye on the containers for delayed mortality .Mrt.
Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE