SEARCH
MORE
Turkey Hunting

Blind or no?

4/16/19 @ 6:49 PM
INITIAL POST
fisheswithU2
User since 4/29/14

I’ve got 3 gobblers roosted in fairly open hardwoods. I want to setup under the trees they’re roosting in and catch them coming back at night. Property line prevents me from sitting farther away. My question is: will they notice a blind? Or should I sit against a large fallen tree with burlap around me? I don’t want to muck it up and miss my chance. I’d like to use the blind to hide my movement but am unsure if they’ll notice it. Especially so close to their roost. 

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
4/29/19 @ 9:36 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Turkey are the dumbest bird around.  you can set a blind up under the tree they roost in and kill one.  They have great sight and hearing....besides that they are stupid as hell and easy to kill.  you literally can set a blind in the middle of a field the morning of,  set out decoys and they'll run to them.  

4/20/19 @ 3:33 AM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

Yup...they will more than likely not even care that it is there. My brother and dad once killed a pair of toms from a blind popped up in the middle of a 60 acre hay field...literally 200 yards from any trees in the middle of the field. Called them in and shot both at 25 yards. A large turkey's brain is about the size of an almond...not much room to store a bunch of data about their day-to-day surroundings. Deer on the other hand...WAY different story! Pop it up and give a few soft clucks and scratch in the leaves the last couple hours of daylight and you should have no problem filling that tag! Good luck!

4/16/19 @ 10:49 PM
the Jimmer
the Jimmer
User since 1/11/05

Maybe just my opinion, but turkeys have little/no memory. I’m guessing they won’t even flinch at your blind, assuming you keep from silhouetting yourself inside of it. 

I’ve killed several birds from a blind on open fields after patterning them, then just pop the blind up and get the bird same day. I’d rather call them in if I have a choice, but that isn’t always in the cards. 

4/16/19 @ 7:40 PM
Tim_T
User since 6/17/11

I ambushed one many years ago doing just what you describe. Kind of a sweet season that year. Never used a call and never had to get up early.

Tim 

4/16/19 @ 7:30 PM
Kutt2
User since 10/31/15

Can you set your blind behind the fallen tree and brush it in a little to break it up

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE