MORE
Turkey Hunting

Bird Activity

4/7/13 @ 10:33 PM
INITIAL POST
trouter
BBD5
User since 10/12/11
Hey all, I read through all of the youth hunt posts and congrats to all! Awesome to see the young kids out and having success if fortunate enough. Figured I'd narrow the topic a bit though and ask for those who have been lucky enough to get out so far.. How are the birds acting? Haven't seen much for strutting from the roads and what not, birds responding to any calls or is there much gobbling on the roost etc? such as quieting up after fly-down. Just trying to get some info due to lack of scouting ability.. not wanting to mess it up and go in overcalling or anything. Appreciate any help and good luck to all!
Displaying 31 to 45 of 78 posts
3/27/16 @ 7:23 AM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02
Did some scouting yesterday morning for the learn to hunt program that I will mentor for. Got to the woods by 6:00 and was met with three different toms gobbling of which one was on the ground already. Made it to the blind with fresh tracks in the snow in shooting range of the blind. I think I bumped those two birds off the field they were in. Sat the blind for two hours, birds went silent soon after. Did some drive around looking in the nearby area and located a 20 plus bird flock with 5 toms 40 acres away. Also seen a lone tom on the back side of the set up area. All looks promising.
3/25/16 @ 6:19 PM
Granpa
User since 2/4/05
Would this be considered good activity? Zone 3
3/23/16 @ 4:07 PM
Lickey
Lickey
User since 8/29/12
Saw first strutter in Dane county on Monday
3/19/16 @ 8:23 PM
zeplure
zeplure
PRO MEMBER User since 2/11/02
Gobbling and fanning in Juneau County
3/19/16 @ 11:40 AM
percheye1
User since 6/24/01
Had my first strutter behind the house Monday and heard my first gobble yesterday.
3/13/16 @ 7:59 PM
Todd Young
User since 6/25/15
We had a beautiful Saturday morning in western Pennsylvania. The birds were excited about it also. When I see this activity I usually have to watch I don't wreck my truck. I am addicted , I admit it,and I love it.
3/11/16 @ 5:04 PM
Saroon
User since 11/14/10
Finally saw a some strutting gobblers todays. 1 was with a about 15-20 hens and appeared to be the only boy in the bunch from what I could see. I saw another smaller flock of 11 birds and 3 of them were mature strutters. Haven't heard any gobbling yet but am going to get out tomorrow morning and give a listen around fly down. Can't wait to hear the first gobble. I love it!! It's getting closer!!! I can almost feel the recoil!!!
2/2/16 @ 8:36 PM
Todd Young
User since 6/25/15
I know it's real early but the warm weather had them out and strutting here in PA. Saw 2 different groups of birds today with strutting gobblers. Gotta love it!
1/25/16 @ 7:29 PM
1cast-away
User since 2/2/09
Saw 2 Tom's strutting in a field with a bunch of other birds along hwy 29 this afternoon.
10/8/15 @ 4:58 AM
joeywadu
User since 5/13/02
Turkeys everywhere...hunted last weekend...it wasn't even fair....saw hundreds of birds...filled tags til we were blue in the face....great hatches this spring....get in my belly Wadu
4/14/15 @ 7:06 AM
yelptom
yelptom
User since 4/12/15
This last weekend for youth season in Waupaca county the birds seem to be grouped up still... there were alot of gobblers grouped together and we're unresponsive to any calling!! Hope it gets better this next weekend!
4/16/14 @ 2:17 PM
brews4995
brews4995
User since 4/2/10
Yeah they are all grouped up by me too. Last weekend during the youth hunt they were very vocal and active. Today I never heard a gobble all morning. Don't know if it was the wind or they were quiet, but they were in the field just as expected. Different spot tomorrow and hope to just cut them off on there way to field. Will try quiet approach myself and see what happens. Just too cold today. Pretty sure I said last year no more first week tags but I did it anyway, well not next year. Picked up a fourth week extra tag if the weather stays cold, I will just try then when it is nicer.
4/16/14 @ 10:59 AM
SJB
SJB
User since 7/16/01
I don't know if others are seeing the same, but man, the birds are still all bunched up. Normally in an area I was looking, I saw only afew birds, where usually this area I would see 2-3 flocks of 15 or so. And then another area down the road, see 50. So big flocks that have not broken up yet.
4/15/14 @ 6:50 PM
habbababba
User since 4/30/11
Got out last weekend in the rain. Luckily in the blind. Saw a tom come in out, probably a good 35 lbs. He was in and out of brush in a couple seconds, couldn't get a shot off. But, afterwards a pretty mature Jake came in quiet and started to strut and made him into TurkeyCue and chili. But final word of activity is they are super quiet and I think it is related to the weather, pretty sure. So keep your eyes open and finger on the trigger. Good luck to all and hope this helped.
Bird Activity photo by habbababba
4/15/14 @ 1:06 PM
wally2121
User since 4/16/08
been seeing strutting toms every morning on my drive from Dodge to Waukesha County. went for a drive around at lunch today and saw three toms all strutted up around about 7 hens...May 7th cannot come soon enough!
Displaying 31 to 45 of 78 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE