SEARCH
MORE
Trout Fishing

Upper Wolf River Trout Fishing

7/27/16 @ 5:37 PM
INITIAL POST
amaranthlost
User since 5/31/10

I'll be heading to Langlade for an annual family camping trip in a couple weeks and was planning to hit the upper Wolf for some flyfishing while I'm there as we camp right across the street from it. Does anyone have any suggestions of flies to use in the area? This will be my first time flyfishing for trout as I usually go for bass and panfish. Depending on the patterns I can either tie my own or buy some.

Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts
8/1/16 @ 6:58 PM
amaranthlost
User since 5/31/10

Thanks for the info. I looked online a bit and TU had a page on this section but it was limited on info. I wasn't sure on how good it was but the DNR listed it as a class 2 so I thought I'd try it. I was already planning on floating some terrestrials (damsels, hoppers, ants) as they're everywhere this time of year but I'll make sure to bring some of my streamers as well now.

8/1/16 @ 4:37 PM
Troy Stoeger
Troy Stoeger
User since 4/2/02

Bring your smallmouth flies, there is more smallies than trout in the Wolf up there, especially this time of year. You might try swinging a streamer or something, a brown will take that if there is one there. I grew up fishing the wolf and it was never a numbers area for trout. We caught some but there are better waters for them reasonably close. Since its right there for you, take advantage! One of the go to patterns for us, I still have a box of them.... Was a white muddler minnow. Seemed to do well on both the smallies and the trout. Otherwise, its hopper time, should be a few around or turn over a few rocks and see what creepy crawlies are in the water right now. Sorry, I cant get too specific as I havent fished this late in the year up there in at least 20 years.

Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE