SEARCH
MORE
Trout Fishing

Landing a big one

4/24/18 @ 1:05 PM
INITIAL POST
Animated1
User since 1/20/09

I have landed some decent size trout but have never landed one over 20". Come opening weekend, I'll be hitting the rivers with the wife for her first opening weekend of trout fishing. I have a gut feeling she'll hook into a big one. Are there any tips for landing a brown trout 24"+? I have a EGO trout net but have always wondered how a big trout flopping around would stay in any trout net.

Thanks for any tips on landing the big one.

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
6/4/18 @ 10:39 AM
machoprogrammer
User since 1/19/07

I just bring it to where I will be able to net it more carefully, then get on my knees and just net it. My net isn't gigantic by any measure, but it's big enough where I could probably net a 24" fish if I was super careful. I have never landed one nearly that big in the inland streams, but I have caught some suckers that were pretty big using the same method. If I am fishing the great lakes/tribs, I use a far bigger net so it's not a problem.

I always bring an insulated fishing bag with ice in it in case I decide to keep any. I'd never keep a 20"+ plus from inland streams (unless it would die on release) unless it was a record fish (very doubtful that'll ever come up). 

5/21/18 @ 7:52 PM
trouter
trouter
User since 7/3/01

Make sure they are hooked well.

I bring them to a shallow edge and then grab them.

I do not use a net.  

I put them in a plastic grocery bag.  Then I put them in my fanny pact.  Or the pocket of my hunting jacket.

When stream salmon fishing, I bring back each salmon to the cooler in the truck.

5/1/18 @ 12:18 PM
Animated1
User since 1/20/09

That net is awesome and thanks for the feedback everyone. That net will be on my gift list for sure. I have seen browns well over 20" but never on my line and they have all been lost. If she catches one this weekend, I'll post it here. 

Thanks again.

4/29/18 @ 8:41 PM
Vermeeson
Vermeeson
User since 1/22/02

You have an ambitious agenda! My biggest one in a stream is a 21" brown in 32 years of avid trout fishing, but there are some brutes out there... Good luck! It'll be the memory of a lifetime! If you have some extra cash, take a look at the netstaff. Which would easily give you what you are looking for. I'm strongly considering buying one for steelhead fishing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wHBeon-DTM

4/28/18 @ 10:14 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

While wader fishing I have cheapo lightweight aluminum net tucked down the back of my waders. I changed out the dinky net bag with a bigger one from Netcraft which worked great on a 37"northern two years back. I still fish without a net on some brush choked accesses but I try not to forget it. "Better to have and not need.....".  I like the lip gripper idea as another lightweight option but don't have one yet.

4/25/18 @ 5:18 PM
crawriverrat
crawriverrat
User since 10/27/02

This one

4/25/18 @ 5:15 PM
crawriverrat
crawriverrat
User since 10/27/02

Ive landed plenty of catfish and carp way bigger than any stream trout with my extendable net.  Just in case that comment was aimed at me big musty.

4/24/18 @ 9:04 PM
crawriverrat
crawriverrat
User since 10/27/02

I bought an extendable crappie net.  It goes out 12 feet. That length helps a TON when fishing on the bank.  Especially when there is a steep bank.  

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE