SEARCH
MORE
Trout Fishing

Crawler, spinner or Fly

4/28/16 @ 12:55 PM
INITIAL POST
Animated1
User since 1/20/09
What do you think is the best method for trout fishing? I personally like using a crawler because I feel I can work the holes over more and get into tighter spots. I also feel I can fish deeper in brushy, tree covered areas with better results. Just looking for other thoughts on this as I tend to run into trout fisherman who think fly fishing is the only way to catch trout.
Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts
6/5/17 @ 11:10 AM
Mystery Tackle Box
Mystery Tackle Box
User since 5/15/17

Crawlers, spinners, and flies are all great trout lures and each excel more in different situations. Sometimes it can be helpful to mix it up and try some less common techniques. We put together a list of 3 Unique Trout Baits You Probably Haven't Tried..But Should.

Happy fishing and tight lines!

5/26/17 @ 5:57 AM
Namvet
Namvet
User since 1/9/09

I agree with crawriverat.  I tie flies, so I get more enjoyment out of fly fishing.  That said, I'm not a purist so any method you enjoy works for me.  I prefer spinners in high water conditions and flies when water is on the low side.  Haven't used crawlers in many years, but they were always effective.  Semper Fi,  jb

5/24/17 @ 11:23 AM
IceFishBaby
User since 11/26/01

Spinner or the non-mentioned small rap/crank bait.  Catch my bigger fish on the rap, more fish on the spinner.  If fishing with someone, always have one with a spinner and one with a small crank bait.  Cover lots of water.  Fun times.

4/30/17 @ 7:01 PM
crawriverrat
crawriverrat
User since 10/27/02

I get the most enjoyment from the fly.  I cover the most water with a spinner or rap.  I catch the most fish from crawlers.  It depends on what i want to do.  I wont fish crawlers if i dont want to keep a few.

5/4/16 @ 8:28 AM
Namvet
Namvet
User since 1/9/09

5/3/16 @ 4:16 PM
crits
crits
User since 1/19/12

Crawler and Spinner are always my main go to, but last year I experimented with some plastics. I attached 3/8 oz Jig head to my line and used a piece of a bass plastic that I cut and kind of resembled a cricket. I fished it in a deep hole, probably 7- 10 feet. I would just jig it back to me much like a bass. I ended up getting a 12 inch Brown and a couple other dink brookies. Might try it again, but I always start spinners for reaction strikes and to cover some river then dig in to holes with natural baits or maybe now plastics.

crits
crits
User since 1/19/12

Crawler and Spinner are always my main go to, but last year I experimented with some plastics. I attached 3/8 oz Jig head to my line and used a piece of a bass plastic that I cut and kind of resembled a cricket. I fished it in a deep hole, probably 7- 10 feet. I would just jig it back to me much like a bass. I ended up getting a 12 inch Brown and a couple other dink brookies. Might try it again, but I always start spinners for reaction strikes and to cover some river then dig in to holes with natural baits or maybe now plastics.

crits
crits
User since 1/19/12

5/1/16 @ 10:17 PM
Bozo
User since 7/29/02
Tu has some youth fishing programs that attempt to teach young people how to fish for trout. And they teach all three methods. They all have a time and a place.
4/28/16 @ 4:31 PM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06
each way has their merits and i have no fault with people catching trout any way they enjoy. we all trout fish for our own reasons and nobody is better than someone because of the techniques they prefer. Personally as far as ease of catch i feel i can work a stream with a panther martin spinner and catch more fish than anything. it is fast fishing and you can cover lots of water and I enjoy it.
Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE