MORE
Recipies & Cooking

Venison brats

12/8/15 @ 7:43 PM
INITIAL POST
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
User since 1/22/15
First time making venison brats. Thinking of doing 10 pounds. 7 pounds venison and 3 lbs pork. I have a high mountain brat kit that doesn't have the best reviews. I also have a recipe from online that sounds good. Anyone have any experience or advise on this? Thank you.
Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
12/26/16 @ 7:20 PM
Badger-Man
User since 12/25/16

Yah...made an Excel spreadsheet for these. Drop in lbs of meat and voila.  Made/stuffed 20 lb today with cheddar.  Plan to fire up the grill for New Years Eve??

12/25/16 @ 9:16 PM
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
User since 1/22/15

Thks badgerman. Gonna give that one a try. 

12/25/16 @ 12:21 PM
Badger-Man
User since 12/25/16

These are technically "Hot Italian" but brat genre regardless.  I found this online somewhere years ago so can't claim as "mine"...fantastic. 

For 10 lb:

Grind venny with medium plate and mix 50/50 with ground pork trim.  I get the pork trim 1x ground medium plate from a local butcher; they call it "50/50" so half pork and half pork fat. I rough mix these by hand, then regrind together again using the medium plate, then into the mixer.

Spices:

• 2.9 tbsp minced garlic
  • 5.8 tbsp fennel seed
  • 1.0 tbsp cayenne pepper
  • 2.7 tbsp red pepper flake
  • 5.8 tbsp black pepper (med grind)
  • 3.8 tbsp kosher salt
  • 0.6 cup cold water

**Add 1 lb high temp cheese per 10 lb sausage for Sconny flavor.

Mix, mix, mix...then stuff into hog casings (I use Lem), vac pac and into the fridge overnight; next day freeze (or hit the grill).  I also pack some in bulk for other recipes by grilled is my fav.  Enjoy.

Note:  The venny I use is NOT trim.  Probably shocking to other deer hunters out there but I use the best cuts (sans backstraps which I grill); what I use for my Hot Italians, most would cut steaks and roasts.  Hindquarters and frontquarters meticulously cleaned of blueskin. Just my preference.

5/24/16 @ 9:13 AM
DJH
User since 4/15/02

I use Lems Brat seasoning.   Pretty sure you can get it at Gander.

I do a 50/50 mix of pork to veni.   I use 1 can of beer per 5lbs of meat.  So when I do a 25lb batch that is 5 cans of beer and 1 for me.

Mix the beer and seasoning so it is all dissolved.  Then pour into the meat and mix well.

I use hog casings.   After all stuffed, I put them in a smoker at about 200, for about 20 min to a half hour.  Need to turn half way through.   I'm not smoking to cook.  I am smoking for flavor and to dry out the casings, so they snap when you eat them.  Otherwise they tend to be a bit chewy.  They will trun a nice carmel color and casings dry.  Don't smoke too hot or too long otherwise you will melt the fat.  I then let cool and vaccum seal.

With Veni brats you don't want to pre-boil.  They are not as fatty as a regular brat.   With the smoked beer brats, it is almost a brown and serve.  You know they are done when you see them simmering inside the case.

Can't be beat.  I don't add anything else to them. 

12/9/15 @ 10:38 AM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
User since 3/20/02
My experience: You want the % of pork fat to be 30 - 50 % in the final sausage. When buying a pork butt or roast it is not all fat so that needs to be taken into consideration. Use the coarse grind for brats. Experiment - Grind leeks up with the meat/fat and add beer instead of water for a "beer leek brat". Everyone raved on those. My wife liked the ones we added sundried tomatoes and feta cheese chunks to. Natural casings are preferred for brats and other grilling sausages. We make a ton of Italian sausage and put loose into sandwich size zip locks to use for pizzas, lasagnas, etc. Have fun with it!
12/9/15 @ 8:35 AM
zeplure
zeplure
PRO MEMBER User since 2/11/02
I get my seasoning from Haughts in Menomonee Falls. The hot Italian is outstanding.
12/9/15 @ 7:30 AM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02
I have made brats several times. I used natural hog casings. My mix was 50/50 pork to venison. The seasonings I used were Sheboygan style brats I got from a local supplier, who unfortunately is no longer in business, and I am about used up on that seasonings. I have also made breakfast sausages. I usually get my ground pork from a local grocery store that has a good meat department, would order bulk ground pork made from butt roasts. The butcher there would bone and grind it for a very little upcharge over the cost of the butt roasts. Used the left over pork from making summer sausage for brats and breakfast sausage either straight up or mixed some venison.
12/8/15 @ 9:14 PM
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
User since 1/22/15
Have you used any of these recipes? Anyone you prefer. Or any tips. Gonna make bear chorizo to. Have the recipe for that.
12/8/15 @ 8:24 PM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
User since 5/29/06
http://lpoli.50webs.com All the sausage recipes you could ever want. Several diffrent ones for brats.
Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE