LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Pike Fishing

Do you catch more pike in open water or on the ice?

12/23/16 @ 12:22 AM
INITIAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

3 tip ups with stationary minnows? Or, 1 lure flying around covering a lot of area? When do you catch more pike per time out? 

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts
1/19/17 @ 12:21 PM
Fish4Musky
Fish4Musky
User since 6/18/13

I've never ice fished for them. So yeah...more open water lol. 

1/2/17 @ 7:34 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

I'm going to lean towards open water after the slow start to ice this year. 3 trips. 14 hours total maybe.....1 pike. Other years are much better. Just a bad start for whatever reason. I think sometimes I see more pike caught ice fishing and get the feeling that it's "better" since it's easier to fish with a group of people or the kids and just lay out boards, and see more pike in a day caught. While in the boat, I'm often alone or with kids or others fishing pan fish or bass. So, ice fishing seems more "pikey" to me, but if I isolate apples to apples, just my pike fishing, hmmm....not sure. I do have a log I keep for fun, would be nice to analyze it deeper. 

12/28/16 @ 3:31 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

It really depends on the day, lake, or season.  I'd say I'm 50-50.  I've had days where I catch Pike one after another while casting and others when I don't get a strike.  I'd say I might be slightly more consistent on the ice chasing flags as it seems like I never have a day without at least a couple.

12/27/16 @ 10:02 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

On the ice as this is the only time I chase them. Spring and fall is catfish and walleye time. Summers are spent either fishing pannies or trolling for salmon. I love to eat fish. All legal pike I get through the ice come home basically, which is about 4-8 an ice fishing season. They get fried or pickled depending on the mood.

12/26/16 @ 5:46 PM
NPike_Guy
NPike_Guy
User since 8/25/08

Always done far better in open water casting, trolling, or drifting suckers. Running for flags is fun but the lack of mobility and the fact that the pike can be anywhere in the water column under the ice makes it way harder to dial in a good bite.

12/25/16 @ 11:31 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

The more I think on this...I'd have to say all things equal with 100 focus on pike- it's slightly winter. However, there are times on rivers or backwaters, ditches whatever where my summer average easily outpaces winter. But summer can be really tough for me on big lakes unless targeting the small shallow pike. 

12/25/16 @ 7:32 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

Its pretty close for me, but prolly a bit better success on the ice

12/24/16 @ 8:10 PM
dux42
User since 10/30/11
Through the ice for me, I target pike more in the winter  but I still feel I have better success in the winter also.
12/24/16 @ 9:17 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Way more through the ice.  With that said, I target them more in winter.  Most that I catch in open water are incidental while targeting other species.

12/23/16 @ 4:53 PM
quick strike
User since 1/3/10

Good question! I've had days when you have 3 flags before you get the first fish off. But then you could get 2 within a few casts. Depends on the day. Over all, probably through the ice. I fish more in the winter.

12/23/16 @ 12:48 PM
shadling1
User since 1/17/12
Open water for me. I almost don't know how you would catch more through the ice, on average anyway, just based on the mobility of a boat. Ice fishing just has more wasted time whwre your not fishing, packing your stuff up to move, drilling holes, setting up, etc. I imagine you will get alot of different answers depending on who you ask though.
Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE