LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Panfish Fishing

What size jig should I use for gills and crappie on a slip bobber?

5/1/15 @ 12:34 AM
INITIAL POST
willworkforlead
User since 1/15/15
Wondering what jig size you would recommend for gills and crappie. Thinking of trying either small ice fishing spoon jigs or weighted jigs but worried certain sizes might be to big for gills.
Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts
5/23/17 @ 5:59 PM
yahay
User since 11/28/07

Shedhunter,

So, safe to assume u like the Rocket?  Looking for a horizontal bobber set up for gills.  Any advice would b appreciated.  

5/23/17 @ 11:49 AM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

At least if you DO catch a bluegill on a 100 oz jig, you know it's gonna be a dandy!!!!!

Edit - I've found bobber size matters more for crappie than bluegills, but you want one that will go down almost effortlessly, yet pop up visibly when they take the bait on the way up, and still heavy enough to cast far enough to keep the boat away from the school.

5/21/17 @ 8:14 PM
jbird68
jbird68
User since 1/24/05

I just came on here to see if people use ice jigs for open water gills. Guess I'll have to give it a try. 

4/29/16 @ 1:55 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10
I use 1/16th and 1/8th jigs for Crappie and 1/32 or smaller for bluegill. I use 100oz jigs for whale sharks in the gulf of mexico.
4/29/16 @ 9:04 AM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12
Wow a 100oz Jig, that is impressive.
4/29/16 @ 8:59 AM
shedhunter
shedhunter
User since 1/28/08
haf2fsh- The erie deerie company makes 100th oz jigs already painted in many different colors. Fleet farm carries them. Im partial to the ones that are half chartruese and half lime and i use the 1" gulp minnows in watermelon pearl color for both crappie and gils matched with 4lb and a rocket bobber --shed
4/27/16 @ 11:48 PM
shadling1
User since 1/17/12
I use ice jigs/plastic and possibly waxies for early shallow gills in only a few feet of water. For a bobber i use a small Styrofoam float from thill with a small weight in between. I have no problems casting or pitching into cover with 4lb mono. I use 8ft light action rods. When I am fishing for crappies exclusively I use 1/32oz or bigger hair jigs or jig/plastic combo on the same rod/reel set ups. Though I do have one 6ft light action rod with 4lb test that I use only for skipping a jig way back under docks and lifts. This spring that's where I have been finding my biggest crappie. I dont use a bobber much for gills or crappie after the spring unless I HAVE to. As for jig size you have to let the fish tell you how big they are willing to hit. But I regularly catch gills on jigs as big as 1/16oz and crappie on 1/8oz and even on occasion 1/4oz in deep water.
4/27/16 @ 5:25 PM
haf2fsh
PRO MEMBER User since 6/23/01
For shallow water, pitching around stumps, down trees, lily pads and docks. I use 4# line, small thrill bobber, and a 100 oz. jig with plastic tail, tipped with a waxie. Jigs can only be bought at Cabela's in bulk, and you must paint your own. Rod is a 5 1/2 ft. ultra light with Mitchell 308, but anything in that range will do the job.
4/27/16 @ 3:51 PM
wiel0059
User since 6/20/14
I use a 1/64 oz traditional Sink'n Jig from Northland 95% of the time. I put a small lead sinker about 8 inches above the jig to help it fall faster and allow me to cast better. Plus, they are super cheap and fishing crappies / gills in the spring leads to a lot of snags lol. I fish mainly plastics, but if I fish crappie minnows I'll use the same jig vs. a regular hook. It's just a personal preference / success rate thing from on the water experience.
4/27/16 @ 12:21 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12
Personally I go as small as possibly. 1/64th or 1/32nd is good. Tungsten is good because a tungsten jig of the same weight is considerably smaller than lead.
7/6/15 @ 11:51 AM
iceman007
User since 7/2/15
Id use a small 3 or 4mm tungsten jig. Tungsten allows it to get down fast while having a small profile. You can get tungsten most anywhere now days. I found this site via facebook. Good guys and reasonable priced tungsten jigs. a bonus is they're eyelets are always paint free www.kendersoutdoors.com tight lines and good Luck out there
5/10/15 @ 8:49 AM
muskrat30
muskrat30
User since 10/14/01
I'd like to error on the small side. I'd also use lighter test line, 4-6 lb test range. For a bobber, just enough. You want low resistance as they go for the bite.
5/1/15 @ 6:33 AM
Badgerloader
User since 4/10/11
My go-to size is 1/64 oz. with a #8 hook if gills are most common. If crappie are most common I will sometimes use a 1/32 oz. with a #6 hook. Using a slip bobber with a brass or glass bead on the top of the tube will help your line to slide smoothly.
Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE