MORE
Musky Fishing

Tallywackers (musky bait)

7/4/10 @ 9:41 PM
INITIAL POST
fishinyankee
fishinyankee
User since 8/6/08
Ive had problems with tallywackers not running right! When im bringing them in they roll in the water and twist and turn, it gets me very mad but yet I still throw it because skis LOVE that bait. Does anybody have any ideas on how to tune them? And yes I have tried split rings. Wondering

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
6/25/17 @ 9:35 AM
PJHaley24
User since 6/25/17

If your bait is made of plastic, that's what will happen. I buy all the wooden ones I can get my hands on, because they always track straight and true. I have slay'd the Muskies in Canada with my yellow Tiger Tallywhacker. To the tune of over 20 muskies in the last 3 trips to NW Ontario...all but 3 on the Tallywhacker (wood). My biggest being 51" and 49 lbs. And a 44 inch 28 lbs Northern.

Tallywackers (musky bait) photo by PJHaley24
7/13/10 @ 1:09 PM
Unreel
Unreel
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01
I've had the pleasure of fishing with Wayne Gutch, the inventor of the Tallywacker. He tuned mine for me by bending the metal tail. I think it also makes a difference with the kind of leader that you use. Experiment with a straight single wire leader vs. a multi-strand wire leader and try different lengths. Note the difference on how much the nose gets into the water while retrieving.

7/12/10 @ 2:27 PM
Bobber-Under
Bobber-Under
User since 7/16/09
I have had the same problem with these. Some casts they work, but most they dont spin at all and I have to reel at mac-10 to get them to turn.

7/5/10 @ 10:41 AM
muskie nut
muskie nut
User since 6/26/01
Of course mess with the tail 1st before you start drilling into the bait.

I have modified several wackers by inserting a 3/8 OZ worm weight in the nose (drilling the nose of the bait to hide the weight) and placing a thru wire through the worm weight and body attaching a single hook hanger for the bigger single front hook. This allows the tail; to spin freer and you can slow the bait down more.

7/5/10 @ 7:10 AM
PJ1
User since 5/11/10
Stick with bending the tail before you start drilling holes in the bait. Be sure to only make small changes and tune the bait on water where you can test it one cast at a time. I have had my best action with a Tallywacker that is tuned to leave a trail of bubbles about ten foot long when retrieved. I have about six wackers and they run a little differently but I have two that the line tie one the nose of the bait is slightly off center causing the bait to have a slight shaking action as it is retrieved. This action along with the noise of the tail blade seem to attract more strikes than the bait that don't have this action. Experiment and let the fish tell you what they like. Good luck.

7/5/10 @ 1:02 AM
chasin-tails
User since 12/17/09
Most topwaters have to be tuned and the tallywacker is no exception. Tail rotating surface baits can be tuned by simply bending the metal tail either towards the front or towards the back of the bait. It sounds like your bait's tail is bent to far forward which will cause it to roll. Start out with slight bends because it doesn't take much to make a difference. I suggest tuning all topwaters to get the sound and action you are looking for. Sometimes tuning can create subtle changes in noise and action that can trigger strikes that otherwise would not happen. Hope this helps. I attached a picture of a night musky caught on a tallywacker.
7/4/10 @ 10:43 PM
muskie nut
muskie nut
User since 6/26/01
1) You might be reeling in too fast 2) Hang a small bell sinker off the front hook's split ring 3) Or more permanent, place lead in the belly by melting into a drilled hole or pounding sinkers into that hole or holes depending how much you need
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE