SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Worst...winter...ever

2/9/23 @ 9:09 AM
INITIAL POST
tzeilstra
User since 8/4/08
I think with the rainstorm this morning, we can safely say this has been the worst ice season ever. I mean really...it's brutally warm for all of December, gets cold for Christmas for 4 days, then gets brutally warm again for a solid month. Then gets cold again for 3 days, now it will be warm again for the rest of winter. Awful. Need to put this season out of my head ASAP!
Displaying 76 to 90 of 181 posts
1/29/24 @ 1:43 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01
The winter of 2001/02 set the record for the least amount of days Lake Mendota was froze with 21.  I don't even remember it being froze at all that year, but that winter was absolutely the worst winter ever, but this year may come close!   Been out ice fishing 4 times this year and may only be able to get out a couple more times with the way the winter is going!  At least that winter, when I was in college at UW Whitewater I ice fished until mid-February.  I think that winter also set the record for the latest date ever we got below zero, which was in March when one snowstorm came along and produced some cold temps for a few days.
1/26/24 @ 8:41 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
There was one year but I forget how many years ago.  Pretty sure it was another strong El Nino year.  Although it may have been a little colder.  I just remember there being no snow for most of the winter and the businesses who rely on snowmobiles struggled.  The lake tops sort of melted funny and were jagged.  Then March came and we got dumped on with a ton of snow, but by then people were done with winter so it was just a huge hassle.  I'm hoping this year isn't like that...don't really want a bunch of March snow.
1/26/24 @ 8:31 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
This winter is a run and gun fisherman's dream. No lake pressure, easy travel, and comfortable conditions. That being said, 45 degrees next week in NW WI is crazy! I'm sure we've had years like this in the past but nothing that I can remember. Curious to see if we notice a positive affect on fish populations and size in the upcoming years with the lack of harvest this winter, particularly for the crappie populations which really seem to only get hit hard in winter and spring spawn.
1/25/24 @ 6:25 PM
Madgill
Madgill
PRO MEMBER User since 12/26/01
Agreed, this old timer has ice fished for over 60 years here in Madison! Never missed a year until this year. First too warm, then too cold, now too warm again with rain tonight & Fri. Extended forecast does not look good for making ice. Stick a fork in it, I'm done! I have the sense to stay off! Will buy my gills & perch at the Seafood Center.

1/25/24 @ 4:58 PM
Bull Gill
User since 2/7/02
The ice is still good by me but no one is out and am staying off have gotten to old and weak to just go can't get myself out of trouble anymore ..around here the joke fer years was I was the submarine man went thru a couple times a year  THOSE DAYS ARE GONE  ........
1/23/24 @ 10:00 PM
beanbag
User since 12/17/09
Greta Van Fleet ???

1/23/24 @ 3:41 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
Hoping to get out tomorrow for a while, maybe Thursday morning too. Yep. I'll have the boat out in 2-3 weeks. I blame Greta.
1/23/24 @ 12:59 PM
tzeilstra
User since 8/4/08
I hope everyone was able to get out at least a couple of times, because it looks like the season is coming to another abrupt, premature end. 
1/10/24 @ 3:02 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02
Any currently listed fishing outing is put on by individual users, not by Lake-Link itself. Check the threads in the General Discussions for updates from those participating.
1/10/24 @ 11:50 AM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
If the forecasted 9" of snow happens on Friday I think that will screw up ice making for a while. I am hoping that some lakes remain ice free until after the snow so they can properly lock up next week. I refuse to drive up North to do something I have routinely done down here this time of year. I'll find solace in my whiskey glass until Mother Nature affords me the opportunity to fish again. Those of you willing to travel I wish you good fortune. 

Jimmy
1/8/24 @ 8:10 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
Finally got out on my normal stomping grounds, had a good 4" of ice and after the cold this week we will be sitting good out there. Still open water just about any where that has current or deep (60'+). Fish were hungry and active without any pressure yet. Should shape up to be a good rest of the season.
1/5/24 @ 10:47 AM
tzeilstra
User since 8/4/08
Getting well into January now and no sign of ice any time soon in SE Wisconsin. Maybe within 2 weeks if we're lucky. Headed north again this weekend to scratch the itch!
12/30/23 @ 11:46 PM
Gman762
Gman762
User since 1/10/21
WI fisherman drowns in LOW.

WI FISHERMAN DROWNS
12/29/23 @ 10:39 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
PRO MEMBER User since 12/9/08
Minnesota anglers didn't expect this....Upper Red Lake fisherman stranded
12/29/23 @ 6:59 PM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09
Days are getting longer
Time to get the syrup buckets out
Displaying 76 to 90 of 181 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE