SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Need a new flasher

8/16/15 @ 8:45 AM
INITIAL POST
TeamG
User since 4/28/08
Well the big garage sale is over and I sold all my old stuff so its time to upgrade. What kind of flashers should I look at and who has made to most improvements over the last 5 years? I haven't looked at the flasher market in a couple years. I have been squirreling money away for a while now so I can go big if need be.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 31 posts
12/20/17 @ 11:03 PM
LeviM
LeviM
PRO MEMBER User since 2/25/12

I have a few flashers and just got one of the new helix 7 ice combos. Have had it out 7 or 8 times and I love it. I have always ran with a handheld gps in the winter, so the thought of putting a Lake master chip in something I’m carrying with me was a big selling feature... hopefully I’m done losing handhelds. The other one I use the most (especially on Winnebago system) is a vexilar fl12 with the ez ducer on it.  Rather pricey for an add on, but for how many times I reach over to pull out a transducer, it’s been worth it. I did look into the new garmins this year, but that price is outrageous. I run humminbird on my boat so it would be a learning curve and something I could only use during the winter months. The helix is plug & play if a graph on the boat would go down.   I have a buddy whose using one of the new mega image helix’s rigged up for ice fishing and have only heard good things so far.... a lot cheaper than where garmin is at. 

12/20/17 @ 4:09 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Gill - I agree 100%. I'm looking forward to seeing the reviews of it on the hardwater this season. I'll be in the market to upgrade my vexilar either next year or the following and I'll definitely be considering the garmin!

12/20/17 @ 2:57 PM
GILLSURGEON
User since 12/1/16

If you don't consider the new panoptics from GARMIN I think you will be missing out on unique technology that nobody else offers. I'm saving now, it's a game changer!

12/20/17 @ 1:03 PM
Whatsmell?
User since 12/20/17

I have a Marcum LX5 for about 7 years now, and have not had any show stoppers, but  I am looking at upgrading and had thought the LX9 was going to be it. But i can get the LX7 with lithium shuttle, and purchase a aqua vu 715C and still be cheaper than the lx9!  looking for help on that debate, but any one looking at the LX5 unit it is rock solid, but for a few extra $ i would go to the digital series.  The LX 5 was the cats meow back then.

12/15/17 @ 6:26 PM
Polski
Polski
PRO MEMBER User since 5/11/03

Just a note to anyone looking to buy a Hummingbird Ice 55, 45 or 35. There is a rebate (MC gift card) offer available. You need to go on their website before years end. Rebates are $55, 45 and 35 accordingly.

12/15/17 @ 6:10 PM
Perch Reaper
User since 12/10/17
I've owned vexilar fl8 and fl18, hummingbird ice 55,  and Marcum lx6.....i currently use a lowrance hook 7 with the sonar mode.  It does have a flasher and a mode similar to a showdown(forgot the lowrance name for it),  but I bought it due to the gps and lake contours PLUS the fishing applications.  The Marcum lx6 has every bell and whistle you can imagine too,  just no gps, and when running and gunning perch on a 4 wheeler, this is a highly effective tool.   Just food for thought. 
12/15/17 @ 1:24 PM
arlo
arlo
User since 9/29/02

Anyone have the new Marcum M 1 ? I am seriously thinking on buying one. I found them on sale for $299 regular price $349. Pros, cons, good or bad ?

12/13/17 @ 11:23 AM
baconsbaits
baconsbaits
User since 1/12/09

I have a marcum lv1 and a LX-3tci and other then having to warrenty my LX-3tci they have been great.  Ran the lv1 for 10 years before upgrading last year, not seeing much benefit to the upgrade.  I have also had chances to use the Fl20 and fl28.  I just can't justify the extra cost over the marcums, but they are good units too, either brand does the job just fine.  Never used a humminbird flasher, but didn't care for the humminbird lcd with flasher mode, it was just way too slow.   On a side note, I did purchase a deeper pro plus wireless sonar unit.  Gonna see how that works on my phone and tablet as compared to my flashers.  It's a neat concept, I guess we will see just how well it works.  Will post a comment on that as I get chances to play with it.    Bacon

12/11/17 @ 3:37 AM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

The new graphs are light years beyond the old technology that ran slow in the cold. Your fears are unfounded. 

12/10/17 @ 9:23 PM
ariddle4me2
User since 1/16/11
I am currently looking at the Helix 7 ice model from hummingbird also.  I like the idea of mounting it the bow of the boat and networking it with my Helix 10.  I know the new Helix are generation 2.  Right now Hummingbird is giving away one specific lake mapping with each purchase.  So yes on Lake Winnebago but no on the Winnebago system for free.  My only concern is if the screen slows down at all with extreme cold weather like old LCD screens did?
12/8/17 @ 6:17 AM
cosmic
cosmic
User since 6/29/01

Never had any interference with any other flasher. I have a Helix 5 Ice with GPS. Hands down best I have had. Also have a Ice 45 and used a FL 8 for years. I won't ice fish without GPS/lake map again. They get you with the Micro SD card. I have a map SD cards but the Helix uses the micro..another 100 bucks..

11/5/17 @ 5:28 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

The hummingbirds are nice but if you have one you better hope that the knobs don't break off. That's a common gripe about them simply because the cost to fix them stings big time.  If it doesn't break then good for you....if it does your under $400 flasher has now jumped to costing you well over $500.

I have an LX7 and use it enough in the winter to justify the cost....but I also run it on my boat and it's a great open water unit. Split the cost between the two seasons and it was a very reasonable solution. Snagged mine for under $600 new in the box. 

You might want to look around and see if you can get your hands on an LX1 or LX3. Marcum introduced a new line of flashers (M-series) which replaces the mechanical LX line. Plenty of those in inventory at places who want to get rid of them in favor of the new ones. Heck, right now you can get your hands on an LX5 for under $400.

11/5/17 @ 5:11 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

I sold my LX-5 last year and need something that is affordable and works well. I was thinking an Ice-45 as I want to stay under $400. I might use it 10 times a year so $700 for an LX-7 is out of the question. I like the big screen of the 45. Any suggestions? Thanks.

10/14/15 @ 12:07 PM
hookinbiglips
hookinbiglips
User since 2/25/07
Tim check out this deal http://www.hodgesmarine.com/Humminbird-Ice-Helix-5-Sonar-Gps-p/hum409730-1.htm?gclid=CMuxk6C5wsgCFRCqaQod7YYE3g&click=19
10/13/15 @ 8:04 PM
Cheqmate
User since 4/22/14
I've just bought a Marcum LX 7 from Marine General, upgraded from the LX 5. $600 + $7 shipping. Ask for Jesse.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 31 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE