MORE
Ice Fishing

Ice out predictions

2/8/18 @ 5:02 PM
INITIAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

I almost hesitate to start this thread....I don't want to think of ice out....but, we can turn this into a positive and dream of just how long ice may be on this year. Been a great year so far!

Displaying 61 to 75 of 95 posts
3/14/18 @ 5:03 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Fishable ice will be here a long time this year in Northern Wisconsin. Personally, I think April 6th will be no problem for quite a few of the lakes or even most of them. Things can change, but there's a lot of ice out there and no huge warm ups. And, like mentioned, our nights and mornings have been really frigid. 

3/14/18 @ 8:07 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Yeah we've lost zero ice in the last two weeks in NW WI despite 40 degrees and sunny. With the warm temps through the weekend we will lose a lot of the snow on the lakes but colder temps next week will keep the ice solid well into April. Nights are still getting down into the teens and low twenties almost every night. Plenty of season left.

3/13/18 @ 3:06 PM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

Every time I look at the forecast, they back off from the warm up. It has to end at some point, I just hope to get in a bunch of late ice fishing before that happens.

3/13/18 @ 2:17 PM
phishin phool
phishin phool
PRO MEMBER User since 4/5/08

Make sure you have a pair of spikes tied with rope around yer neck and/or life jacket. Sure would not want you going under. Or anyone for that matter.

Good Luck!!!

3/13/18 @ 12:03 PM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
User since 2/13/17

I'm fishing one way or another the weekend of April 6th. (fingers crossed for ice)

3/12/18 @ 4:07 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

No warm ups in sight. Still 24 plus inches of ice. I do see a pretty significant warm up in early April. Time will tell. I'm just glad to have what looks like some ice fishing opportunities around Easter. Have some time off. Will be nice. Kind of hoping the snow melts and I can pull the sled a long way with ease to my spots. 

3/4/18 @ 8:38 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

time to head north JB. Every 40 miles counts. Or, go 200 miles and we'll fish together next weekend!

3/4/18 @ 8:32 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

Its getting dangerous down here in Waukesha county.  Theres a half dozen lakes by me that are walkable, but nobody is going out anymore. Prolly a good call. Lots of open water. The top 6 inches on the best lakes are waterlogged and maybe 3 to 5 inches of somewhat hard ice at the bottom

3/4/18 @ 7:36 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

So far KV, plenty of ice. That's a long ways away though, but we have about 30 inches on a lot of lakes. I know it can go quick, but not doubt we'll be fishing into early April at least. No huge warm ups on the horizon and some really cold nights ahead. I'll keep my April 20 prediction for Northern Wi. 

2/28/18 @ 7:31 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

N.pike - I was up on LVD that year we had ice for opener. I haven't been up there in 4 years now but prior to that we stayed either at the north shore campground or sunset resort for ~20 years for opener. That one year (late 90s maybe?) is the only time we were on the ice for opener but it was a blast!

If there's still ice this year let me know, i'd love to have a repeat of that year!

2/27/18 @ 6:17 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

I'm gonna hold you to that Jaybee! I really hope we can make it to the opener now! Somehow I think you'll still be ice fishing in Southern Wi for a few more days somewhere....

2/27/18 @ 3:40 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

We've had open water down by me for the past 5 or 6 days now.  I'm glad and looking forward to the soft water season.

2/26/18 @ 10:43 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

Ok tell u what, n.pike Jeff, if u got walkable ice opening day, I will definitely be there.  You are right, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity . OK, TWICE in a lifetime for you, lol

2/26/18 @ 6:05 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

I agree, probably won't be ice fishing on opening day, but you never know....I was on LVD a few years back on the opener in May. If the opener has ice this year, Jaybee you gotta get up here just to say you did it. Bucket List type of thing...

I'll stick with my April 20th prediction for up here. Looks like Southern Wi will be out of ice earlier than I originally thought.  Definitely a bummer.  If the lakes can survive the next few days though in Southern Wi, looks like some cooler nights might hold whatever ice is left at bay. This is the time of year when every 40 miles north kind of paints a different picture as far as ice accessibility. 

2/26/18 @ 3:45 PM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
User since 2/13/17

The last time I ice fished the openers were when we had 2 years of Polar Vortex. Actually, those were the only 2 years out of 16 that I've owned my home up there.

I highly doubt anybody will be ice fishing the walleye/pike opener in Vilas this year.

Displaying 61 to 75 of 95 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE