SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

50" pike from Pewaukee

8/2/17 @ 9:35 PM
INITIAL POST
mendota
PRO MEMBER User since 12/19/01

In the July 2017 In-Fisherman, there is a picture of a massive pike that was entered in the release category, for the Master Angler awards.

The fish was reported caught on Feb 22, 2016, and from the picture, it is easily the largest pike I have ever seen from Wisconsin waters; the girth would appear to be approaching 30".  Easily over 30#, and if it had stripes rather than spots no one would doubt a 40# weight claim.  A true giant that may have been contested the 38# state record.

I've never seen any other reference to this fish.  Does anybody know of any further photos, or story behind the catch?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 26 posts
8/25/17 @ 7:36 AM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
User since 2/13/17

Being a graphic artist for 20 years before becoming a Marketing Mgr, I was actually on Adobe's PhotoShop beta testing team.

The PS job is arguably one of the worst I've seen.

8/18/17 @ 8:53 PM
mendota
PRO MEMBER User since 12/19/01

Nice sleuthing, Driftless.  Thanks for your efforts.

I wanted to believe.  Joe Erhardt (sp?) took an honest 50# musky out of that lake in the 80s, so I thought maybe...

It takes all kinds, I guess.

I wonder who he posts on here as?  Lol

8/18/17 @ 7:55 AM
Driftless Bowhunter
Driftless Bowhunter
User since 12/14/11

Not only the fish, but look at the jacket (exact same) and the mouth spreader laying on the ice!

8/17/17 @ 7:59 PM
Driftless Bowhunter
Driftless Bowhunter
User since 12/14/11

Easy to see that he just flipped the photo and photoshopped his head in the pic. Must have made him feel good to do that.

8/17/17 @ 7:49 PM
Driftless Bowhunter
Driftless Bowhunter
User since 12/14/11

Long story short, I mentioned to a buddy of mine at work about the fish after seeing it in In-fisherman. I said no way was that fish caught in southern Wisconsin. He looked at it and said that he had that same fish as a wall paper pic on his computer. That fish was caught in Canada somewhere. I contacted In-fisherman and showed them these 2 same pictures. They sent me an email back saying they were going to confront the guy from the Pewaukee pic and ask him to explain. I haven't heard anything else from them.

8/17/17 @ 4:39 PM
RawFish7
RawFish7
User since 8/7/08
Okay, Pewaukee one is definitely photoshopped. That guy is a clown. He must be really proud he faked his way into In-Fisherman. What a jacka**. How did you find that picture, btw?! I looked through pike photos for awhile and couldn't find anything. Should send both photos into In-Fisherman and hopefully they ban him from entering Master Angler entries.
8/17/17 @ 4:39 PM
MRGLAX
User since 10/20/05

Case closed.  Beautiful fish to the guy who actually caught it.  I hope In-Fisherman posts a retraction and gives the kudos to the angler who deserves them. 

8/17/17 @ 4:27 PM
Driftless Bowhunter
Driftless Bowhunter
User since 12/14/11

Do these look familiar? One was caught in Canada.....the other from Pewaukee.......hmmmmm

8/17/17 @ 11:56 AM
RawFish7
RawFish7
User since 8/7/08

I did not look at the post below mine. I was not aware he got a 47" musky mounted. That is odd that he would do that and not the pike. Makes the pike way way more suspect. Pretty skeptical now. To take the time to photoshop that picture he must have really wanted that little piece of paper from In-Fisherman lol

8/17/17 @ 10:47 AM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11
I kinda find it hard to believe that the guy got a 47" musky and had that mounted, which is a marginal trophy at best. Yet he releases a true trophy pike? And the unremarkable musky has an article but the pike doesn't? I'm skeptical.
8/17/17 @ 9:31 AM
RawFish7
RawFish7
User since 8/7/08
Okay whatever you want to believe. Why would someone go through all that trouble to make a fake entry just to get a slip of paper from in-fisherman. And just because no one heard about it doesn't mean it's fake. And there are record pike from some northern states that exceed 50" so it's not to impossible this fish is 50". If pewaukee has a good enough forage base to produce large musky isnt it possible it could produce this large of a northern pike? Also how does the picture prove its fake? I do agree it is hard to believe as a 50" northern is a very very rare fish but you never know what lurks out in our lakes and rivers so I'm not going to completely discredit the catch just because. 
8/17/17 @ 8:36 AM
RawFish7
RawFish7
User since 8/7/08
Wow, seems someone has always got to make snide comment like that. No need to be jealous just because your from pewaukee and catch catch a fish close to that form your home lake. But it's pretty obvious his right hand is behind the pelvic fin. You can see where the fishes gut is indented. And it doesn't seem to me that he is holding it to far away from his body. Also to be entered into the In-Fisherman master angler program there are quite a few things you have to supply to qualify. For a catch and release entry for example a picture of the fish on a measuring board must be supplied along with a picture of the fish and the angler. And why would someone lie about a fish like that just to be entered to win a certificate/plaque from In-Fisherman. Seems like you would have to go through a lot of effort to do that. Not worth it in my opinion.
8/16/17 @ 10:31 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Oh my goodness! Thanks for the pic. I am a skeptic no longer....Wow.

8/16/17 @ 3:20 PM
RawFish7
RawFish7
User since 8/7/08

Here it is

8/16/17 @ 7:06 AM
RawFish7
RawFish7
User since 8/7/08

There was a picture of the fish in the magazine. I'll see if I can find it online or when I get home I can get a snapshot of the photo in the magazine. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 26 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE