SEARCH
MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

When does it end?

9/21/16 @ 1:54 PM
INITIAL POST
fishinnutinwis
User since 12/26/01

Hi all.. So I finally - after many years of wait - bought my first larger boat for for salmon fishing on michigan and superior.. Sylvan 22' offshore.. Wondering if I have missed the bite/fish for the year.. It would be around a 200 mile trip one way to sheboygan for me or give or take from there if you have recommendations ... coming from park falls wi area.. would appreciate advice on whether I should just winterize it for the year or still have decent chance of boating some. I do consider myself a rookie at best , lol..

Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts
9/29/16 @ 7:56 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

It never ends, or not for long. I went fishing in a boat at the nuclear power plant on Dec. 30, 1979. We caught some fish too. A brown and something else, I think a rainbow but both sure. Fished at night too. 

9/29/16 @ 10:44 AM
Grey Beard
User since 1/27/02

Almost forgot one of the fastest limits was October 16, 2011 fishing 100fow out to180 before we could turn needing only 3 more. We were taking pictures just after 8AM starting around 6. Most came off riggers 85-110 down and a couple on 300' copper.

That as an expensive day for Boog and John because that was John's first outing and Boog's fastest limit. Now both thier boats are fully Lake MI equiped catching more than thier share of salmon when they are not guiding for walleye. 

When does it end? photo by Grey Beard
9/29/16 @ 10:27 AM
Grey Beard
User since 1/27/02

As someone else said late fall fishing is different each year. When all the water cools and if the young of the year alewife show on the shallow structure kings and browns can come fast. One day cleared 8 rods before we could turn. Problem is finding a day with low winds and few others fishing to help with location. Nice thing is even the kings seem to bite all day when you find them.

My latest trolling is the first picture taking 12 nice browns and releasing some LT in 40fow off the filter 2Jan04

Second picture is the day before deer hunting 2006 40-60fow off the Filter.

Third is the day after Thanksgiving 2009 full cores and riggers off the shipwreck. I remember the full cores because little Shane reeled those in without complaint.

9/27/16 @ 9:39 AM
fishinnutinwis
User since 12/26/01

Thanks. All positive replies. Will report when I do get out..

9/26/16 @ 6:58 PM
Scott F
User since 6/12/10

I got this brown trout on Dec. 14 from in the Milwaukee harbor.

9/26/16 @ 11:16 AM
Fishoil
User since 6/18/01

Those fish never stop eating. If you can get a boat in the water you can usually catch fish throughout the winter. I took Hockeyguy out on October 17th and have fished the Milwaukee area many times in December and January. Thanks Josh for putting me on to that many years ago! I haven't been able to get much salmon fishing in yet this year but plan on fishing the Algoma area more in the next 2 months.

9/26/16 @ 12:10 AM
Josh
Josh
User since 6/16/01

First pic:  11/08/06  Solo trip.  I kept the biggest 5 out of 16 boated in 3 hours.  Several doubles and one triple.  All caught in less than 50' of water a couple miles from McKinley Marina in Milwaukee.

Second and third pics: 12/26/04

When does it end? photo by Josh
9/25/16 @ 11:53 PM
Josh
Josh
User since 6/16/01

It doesn't end.  

11/30/03

One of my best days ever on the Big Pond.  We released just as many.  I never winterized a boat when I lived in Wisconsin.

When does it end? photo by Josh
9/22/16 @ 6:57 PM
homewrecker
User since 8/28/03

300' is about 10 miles straight east of the gap. You may not have to fish that deep.

9/22/16 @ 12:41 PM
fishinnutinwis
User since 12/26/01

Thanks for the input... I really do want to get out for the "maiden" voyage.. when you suggest out deep - can you be more specific -- basically out of sheboygan or port.. and how many miles would that depth you suggest be? Thanks again..

9/22/16 @ 7:47 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Limits of silver fish still coming into Sheboygan, you just he to go out deep after them. Can't be much easier fishing as everything is in the top 50' feet and spoons usually will get the most bites.

9/22/16 @ 6:36 AM
CCA
User since 6/19/01

Had one of my best trips ever on Christmas Eve. about 5 or 6 years ago, snowing and silvers, all 3 year olds in 40 ft. of water. Got 20 that day for the 4 of us. There is always good action out deep from Port washington from now until launch gets plowed in.

9/22/16 @ 2:13 AM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

There are some steelhead still hitting down in Racine-Kenosha out in 120+ fow. Otherwise it is harbor patrol for zombies. If Lake trout are your thing they are always there right around 100-140 fow.

9/21/16 @ 3:54 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Every year is different, but I can tell you a few years ago a fellow LLer took me out on Lake Michigan in later October and we had fantastic action, 15 fish between the three of us. I think a lot of it will depend on the weather/water temps. That's kind of a hike for you though. I guess it all boils down to if you want to get the boat wet and spend the $ on gas.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE