MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

Downrigger rods

4/7/19 @ 6:31 PM
INITIAL POST
EYE_SKI
EYE_SKI
User since 3/26/19

i run long arm big jon manuals off my Ranger.. in need of a couple new downrigger rods. whats everyones go to brand that isn't going to break the bank?  thanx

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
4/19/19 @ 1:35 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Anybody have the Bass Pro StrataMaxx trolling rods mentioned a few posts down? Description doesn't mention boards or dipseys, just medium or heavy actions. <$15 (down from $30) seems like a pretty good deal. Just wondering if there's a reason...

4/12/19 @ 5:55 PM
johnthefishermanbd
User since 1/29/13

I run the daiwa wilderness 8'6" DR rods. Best deal out there at I think 25-30 bucks a pop. Work great.

4/10/19 @ 5:28 PM
X-Ray
X-Ray
User since 3/30/15
It might be better to put into context of what the DR rod is pulling on the board.  If your pulling cranks, it is tip loaded (or top 1/5 of the rod most) and surging in choppy conditions.  I just did this last weekend and watched the rod.  The rod comes nowhere near even loading which by that I mean achieving design curvature for the rod. It had no impact on fishing and I have done this quite a bit over the years.  Now I have out of necessity pulled a full core in heavy conditions on a DR rod and it was not good.  The board can almost completely stop and then power surge or leap as the rod snaps back.  It could be my cheapie cabelas DR rods, but I mostly see tip deflection pulling cranks on walleye boards.  The full rod curvature is not being activated while pulling the board with those low loads.
4/10/19 @ 3:39 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Actually it's just the opposite, a downrigger rod is designed to have a parabolic bend when loaded in the rigger. A planerboard rod is designed to have a heavy backbone with a fast tip.

The fast tip allows the board to move over waves and such absorbing some of the shock but not transmitting it to the entire rod length giving it quick recovery and "hopping" the boards.

The long slow action of a rigger rod will bend or load evenly throughout the length of the rod before recoiling and "shooting" or surging the boards ahead. They pump and tug very hard in the holders and as mentioned tend to drag further behind the boat.

But to answer your question, downrigger rods will work, just not as well as a rod designed to do it.

4/10/19 @ 12:57 PM
X-Ray
X-Ray
User since 3/30/15

DR rods work ok for boards.  In choppy conditions you will get more board surging due to the softness of the tips.  The stiffer rod will power thru the chop where the DR rod will hang then surge.

4/10/19 @ 12:25 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

I plan to get some rods specific for my dipseys and I see there are specific planer board rods. Any reason downrigger rods would not work with boards?

4/10/19 @ 11:31 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

I'm a fan of shorter rods, easier to store even on a 30' boat. I use the Okuma Classic Pro GLT downrigger.... CP-DR-702M Usually about $30 each, mine are on their 4th season and get fished a lot.

4/10/19 @ 10:18 AM
Fishn Jimmy
Fishn Jimmy
User since 7/21/01

Bass Pro has 9' dipsy and downriggers rods on clearance.. NOW  $14.95 

reg $29.95

4/8/19 @ 5:41 AM
brtn610
brtn610
User since 12/30/07

We like the yellow eagle claw starfire rods. You can load them up really well and they are super cheap. I think $40 retail.

4/7/19 @ 7:57 PM
bite me
User since 11/28/06

Okuma white diamond 8 foot 6 medium light work very good you can pick the up for 59.00 dallars.

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE