MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

Dipsy Diver reels

4/26/24 @ 1:22 AM
INITIAL POST
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

I'm looking for some reels for braid dipsy rods. I converted my Tekota's to wire and need to add to the arsenal.  I was thinking about Convectors with Dragmaster washers, but not sure how good they would perform under a dipsy load. Looking for the around 100 buck market.  Too poor to buy 2 more Tekotas. Anybody have any solid suggestions?

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts
4/26/24 @ 4:36 PM
Fish-On Guide Services Of Wisconsin
Fish-On Guide Services Of Wisconsin
User since 6/18/01
I use the Coldwaters and they work fine out of the box.  They come factory with carbonite drag system.
4/26/24 @ 1:38 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
Part of the reason for the Convectors is that they offer them in a high speed version, 6.2/1. I have several on copper outfits. The drags do creep occasionally, but I've learned to leave them alone and reel in some if need be. I'm hoping the Dragmaster washers will negate this creep. Priced the Tekotas and they are double the others. Maybe the Coldwaters are offered in a high speed version??

Edit:  It appears they are offered in a high speed version for $109. Not bad. Might have to buy these. I appreciate all of the input guys.
4/26/24 @ 7:47 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
I have a couple Okuma Convectors and I'd rate them just okay.  I have one as a copper line and my drag constantly clicks.  I was getting sick of it and tightened it up a bit more than I normally would and snapped a fish off last year.  I have them so I will use them, but I would not buy them again.   Will they work for salmon though, sure.  Its a good budget reel but if I were to do it again I'd spend $15 more dollars and get the Coldwater series.  Lots of people like the Convectors though, that's why I bought them in the first place.

I bought a couple Okuma Coldwater reels this year for wire dipsies and they seem to be built better.  I would call them a step up. Cheapest I found was Amazon.  The 303 size is now $103.

Amazon Okuma Coldwater

4/26/24 @ 6:16 AM
Outa line
User since 8/9/21
Had 2 of those Convectores used specifically for dipseys. They performed flawlessly for many years. Gave em to a good friend when he bought my boat. 
Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE