SEARCH
MORE
General Outdoor Discussion

Morell Mushrooms

3/10/04 @ 12:02 PM
INITIAL POST
spoolingaround
User since 3/14/02
I thought that I would start this as a where and when topic. I really don't want to know exact locations. But county, day, month, type of area found such as hard woods, an old elm, etc. Also Strains would be helpful. Many people such as my self would like an idea as to of where and when to start looking. I personally have had very little success and would like to learn more. Thank You for any assistance.

Displaying 46 to 60 of 2,142 posts
3/24/21 @ 2:09 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

With the warmer temps and now rain is it getting close to time for morels?  

7/14/20 @ 11:58 AM
JigRod
User since 11/16/01

naterpotater , yes to the Chantrelles. I found a decent amount in northern Wisco this past weekend. 

7/13/20 @ 5:20 PM
naterpotater
User since 1/8/08

any go looking for Chanterelle mushrooms?

6/4/20 @ 11:01 AM
oncebitten
oncebitten
User since 12/7/17

Washington County

About 2wks ago foraging for morells with the wife we spotted what looked like it was about 100yds off the road on private property and I'm pretty sure that it was not the chicken

I should have asked for permission to get a better look maybe next time

We did get some pheasant back

6/3/20 @ 11:23 PM
Tr carper
Tr carper
User since 6/15/15

Mafia I have never spotted any of those. But I haven't been in the mushroom woods since last Friday.

6/3/20 @ 9:24 PM
Mafia
User since 1/12/14

foraging for 20+ years and own a small library on mushrooms, but have never seen these in the wild or in any books, only at the farmers market in Madison.  Great to hear these are around and wow.  Anyone north of Manitowoc ever see these ( I’m in the woods at least 2x a week spring through fall shrooming and haven’t?  Plenty of regular white to gray and yellowish when old.  

6/3/20 @ 7:24 PM
bring on the ice
User since 2/9/17

Son of a gun, it looks like these mushrooms are legit....

https://morelmushroomhunting.com/golden-oyster-mushrooms/

Now I'll be keeping an eye out for these, too.

6/3/20 @ 3:55 PM
Edward Felcohands
User since 2/24/09

Those are feral yellow oysters, becoming very common in southern wisconsin the past few years.  The rumor that i heard is that there was a huge fire at a commercial mushroom grow facility, and the spores went up with the smoke and came back down all over the place.

6/3/20 @ 2:08 PM
Mafia
User since 1/12/14

Not Oysters

6/3/20 @ 10:41 AM
bring on the ice
User since 2/9/17

Been years since I've harvested oysters, but I've never seen them so yellow or circular-capped.  Is the stalk off-center and do the gills go down the stalk?

6/3/20 @ 10:31 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

We gave up on morels this year. They have to have appeared by now. We walked the woods 5 times and never found one. Strange year. We did harvest a bunch of pheasant backs though. We plan a walk on Saturday to see if the oysters are around. 

6/3/20 @ 12:59 AM
naterpotater
User since 1/8/08

No more morels the last few hunts but the oysters are exploding, rock co

Morell Mushrooms  photo by naterpotater
5/30/20 @ 12:10 AM
Tr carper
Tr carper
User since 6/15/15

Still finding a few. Mostly big yellows but a couple greys mixed in. Took my 6 year old daughter out with me the other day. We went back to a spot i pick 14 in the afternoon before that just thinking I missed some and its normally my best spot. Sure enough as I'm walking looking off in the distance. My daughter yells daddy daddy look and right next me is a big grey. Her first time out looking for morels and she finds the first one on her own. That made me a proud and happy father. We only found 5 that afternoon. Went back to that spot today and got 2 more. So not bad picking 21 out of there considering the rough year it been for finding them. Also picked 14 out of that spot earlier in the season.

Morell Mushrooms  photo by Tr carper
5/23/20 @ 8:58 AM
ducks forever
User since 10/15/07

Went out fishing last night and i spotted a dead elm across the lake up on a ridge. i had to check it out. Glad i did! Finally found some. Ended up having to use my shirt as a bag to get them back to the boat haha

Morell Mushrooms  photo by ducks forever
5/21/20 @ 10:04 PM
naterpotater
User since 1/8/08

Has anyone ever used rice flour or any other alternative to regular flour to cook morels?, My buddy has Celiac Disease and cant have any wheat products

Side note: found these around Yellostone today, think this weekend will be the last chance to find em around here, all big yellows and alot of rot.  No new growth

Displaying 46 to 60 of 2,142 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE