SEARCH
MORE
General Outdoor Discussion

Morell Mushrooms

3/10/04 @ 12:02 PM
INITIAL POST
spoolingaround
User since 3/14/02
I thought that I would start this as a where and when topic. I really don't want to know exact locations. But county, day, month, type of area found such as hard woods, an old elm, etc. Also Strains would be helpful. Many people such as my self would like an idea as to of where and when to start looking. I personally have had very little success and would like to learn more. Thank You for any assistance.

Displaying 121 to 135 of 2,142 posts
5/17/19 @ 1:38 PM
budman1987
User since 1/19/03

Rock county this morning

5/17/19 @ 9:41 AM
Poppster
Poppster
User since 2/15/19

Where do you guys think we're at in SE wi???  Towards the end???

5/16/19 @ 10:03 AM
the Jimmer
the Jimmer
User since 1/11/05

Roughly 5 lbs last night, SW WI.

Morell Mushrooms  photo by the Jimmer
5/16/19 @ 8:59 AM
gotne3s
User since 1/30/02

Found about a pound in my yard under a recently dead elm, very sunny part of the yard.  Many more small ones that I left.  Guess I won't cut that part of the yard for a while.  Mostly blacks, with a couple yellows mixed in.  Haven't seen that before.

I'll be hitting the woods this weekend.

5/14/19 @ 10:01 PM
the Jimmer
the Jimmer
User since 1/11/05

5lbs Sunday, maybe 2 more this evening. Left quite a few small ones Sunday that were probably double in size and still in good condition. I left them again. Back in two days to grab them and hopefully several more with the warmer temps and rain that is coming. Hopefully the neighbor doesn’t wander in there, but it’s happened before. 

Morell Mushrooms  photo by the Jimmer
5/14/19 @ 7:09 PM
Poppster
Poppster
User since 2/15/19

Went back and got some more in Milwaukee cnty!!!   Couple blacks as well!

5/14/19 @ 11:42 AM
Poppster
Poppster
User since 2/15/19

Found a good batch SE wis along with all the pheasant backs ya want and some leeks...

5/13/19 @ 10:57 AM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17

The wife found a few with her father on Friday but I think this will be the week here for us with the warm up walworth county. 

5/13/19 @ 8:12 AM
Stitzo
User since 6/15/01

My dad is in southern Mi now. Has been for a couple of weeks. Sent me pics of dime size light grays. Got some 3-4” black color variations Saturday. No reason why they were there. 

5/13/19 @ 7:21 AM
Stitzo
User since 6/15/01

Darn good for you & The Missus OB!!!  

These legs have extensive timber cruising miles put on also. Absolutely zero to show for it. Ugghh. 

What’s your geographical area?  High or low ground  

Gardener’s freeze advisory here last night. Not really conducive for Morchellas.

5/12/19 @ 4:05 PM
OB.3
User since 1/6/13

Got 7lb 3 days walking with the wife.  We had 267 total.   Legs are shot!  Friends also had another pile. best start to the year in awhile 

5/12/19 @ 2:47 PM
Stitzo
User since 6/15/01
That pound plus is a good find. Usually Mother’s Day time & Memorial weekend has those meaty yellows show up. 
5/12/19 @ 12:03 PM
Stitzo
User since 6/15/01

You’ll find good mushroom info @ MSU’s (MI State U) website. Tons of info. It’s my Go-to for all things ‘Shroom.

I too used to find the early blacks/browns in Waukesha Cnty the first of May. 2010 I found them in Western Fondy Cnty on May 1st. 

I’ve been checking aspen stands & prime elms, as well as ash stands and wildish apple trees in Calumet Cnty, where I now live. Ground moisture is very good but temps are just not right yet. Forecasts for daytime 60’s might get them pushing up on sun exposed spots. Let’s hope so.  

5/12/19 @ 5:13 AM
Perch514
User since 3/20/19

I found a pound of morels in Western Dane County yesterday

5/11/19 @ 7:22 PM
tripleguy
User since 5/4/10

Cold weather is keeping them down this year in Southern WI. In past years, I've found them starting in late April through the first week or 2 in May.  I found a half dozen in Waukesha county to day. We need some warm weather and they will take off but so will the understory so they will be hard to find and probably won't have a very long run. We're about 2 weeks behind where we normally are.

Displaying 121 to 135 of 2,142 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE