SEARCH
MORE
General Outdoor Discussion

Asparagus

4/14/15 @ 9:36 PM
INITIAL POST
flyguy329
User since 1/25/06
Just wondering who picks and when you start picking. For some great reason I get a kick out of it. Last year was more of a learning opportunity and I was fairly discouraged. However, I stuck with it and managed to map out/mark on a GPS over 300 areas with plants on different road around my house...Hoping this is the ticket.
Displaying 61 to 75 of 106 posts
5/23/18 @ 2:22 PM
Prop
Prop
User since 4/9/03

I put leftover salt from the winter on the Asparagus patch as soon as things start to green up in the spring. 

5/23/18 @ 9:31 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I somehow managed to forget about my asparagus until I went to plant my garden yesterday.  Some of it was 3'+ high already.  Whoops....

5/22/18 @ 5:25 PM
wack
wack'em & stack'em
User since 3/13/10

Just pick a few lbs!!! Man my pee is gonna be funky for the next week!

5/14/18 @ 6:40 PM
Brother of the brush
User since 1/22/12

As for weed control, I've been told a layer of straw in the fall.  Any thoughts?  May also help with less frost penetration.

5/14/18 @ 2:40 PM
wack
wack'em & stack'em
User since 3/13/10

Things are spouting hot in Jefferson County! Picked approximately 5 lbs this weekend. 1/2 on my property and other 1/2 roadside! Some already seeded out!

5/13/18 @ 7:05 PM
beachcomber II
User since 12/7/13

picked my first from patch i planted about 5 years ago. big patch i planted last year has shoots coming up thick all over going to be great patch. i think it was 21 roots that i planted . my wild patches not showing any yet .  

5/11/18 @ 11:11 AM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

Alex the dog,

Nice name...those were awesome commercials.  

In the fall my asparagus gets covered up with a thick layer of leaves. When it thaws I’ll pull some, but not all, of the leaves back leaving a thin layer. The asparagus will poke through that thin layer. You don’t want to leave them too thick or it won’t work as well. For me it keeps the weeds at bay long enough for the asparagus to pretty much choke anything else out. One thing you don’t want to do is clear cut the dried up stems in the fall. Leave them until spring and cut them out then. If you do it in the fall you’ll increase the possibility of disease and asparagus beetle infestations to your established patch. 

5/11/18 @ 10:59 AM
mapper
User since 1/4/02

Alex,

While this isn't a complete cure, I burn my patch in the spring. Then I ligthtly hoe the ground and apply Preen and fertilizer. This is done as soon as the ground unthaws in the spring and before anything is growing. It works ok, but isn't a complete removal of the grass/weeds. I just pull them as I pick during the season as best as I can. After I'm done picking for the year I let the asparagus go to seed and then carefully treat the areas between the rows with RoundUp. My asparagus was planted in rows, so that helps, but it is spreading and I'm going to have to look at something else soon. Keep in mind that treating with the Preen is most likely going to stop any Aspargus seed from the year before from sprouting. I've been picking a handful everyday for the last week and a half so it is working ok.

Mapper

5/11/18 @ 4:13 AM
Alex the dog
User since 12/27/01

For those of you with garden patches what do you do for weed control?   I’ve heard about salting at anytime or preemergent Roundup for the early grasses.  I battle with grasses mid season and beyond.  This year it looks especially bad.  

TIA,

Alex

5/10/18 @ 12:14 PM
sapman
sapman
User since 8/16/01

I’ll be picking my First meal from the garden today 

5/9/18 @ 6:16 AM
wack
wack'em & stack'em
User since 3/13/10

Checked some roadside hotspots, came home with 2lbs.

4/27/18 @ 5:22 PM
Polski
Polski
PRO MEMBER User since 5/11/03

Every year I add a bunch of the seeds to my bed. I agree you should separate the seed from the berry part, crush them and soak in water for awhile then pick them out. What has worked good for me and very easy is I poke a hole in the ground with a broom stick about a foot deep. Drop a seed or two in each hole and add a little water, That's it, don't fill the hole in with dirt. The seedling will grow and come right up out of the hole. Eventually the hole will fill in by itself and the root has a nice deep start.

4/25/18 @ 5:10 AM
utahman
User since 3/9/03

try to dry them out, and separate by hand. they are very difficult to dry out. even after a year they can still be moist and gooey. Some time you can try to crush the berries in water to separate. I take a flat and fill it and sprinkle them in and cover with 1/4 inch of soil half natural and half potting soil. it might take a couple months for them to sprout. then you can cut out small squares like brownies and plant them in small clumps.

4/23/18 @ 5:11 PM
budman1987
User since 1/19/03

First 2 spears poked through the ground this morning

5/8/17 @ 3:00 PM
wack
wack'em & stack'em
User since 3/13/10

Picked about 4 lbs this weekend 

Displaying 61 to 75 of 106 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE