SEARCH
MORE
General Hunting Discussion

winter deer kill

4/1/14 @ 12:44 PM
INITIAL POST
freeguideservice
User since 12/4/13
anyone have any ideas or stories of deer kill off yet, snow and weather is crazy. There talking more snow for this weekend April 4th - 5th. Gonna be ugly for the deer.
Displaying 46 to 60 of 69 posts
5/18/14 @ 1:53 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
Where are you getting fawns on the cam already? That is interesting if it up north.
5/18/14 @ 9:54 AM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
User since 2/15/10
already have trail camera pics of 2 and 3 fawns jc so guess tbe winter didnt hurt them too bad.
5/17/14 @ 9:34 AM
drojsir
User since 1/30/08
I like the pics. Deer herd in my area is spotty according to what I have seen. Some spots that were very good ten years ago don't have current sign. Just scars on old trees..some of which I remember when they were fresh. Other areas seem to have a "normal" amount of deer sign. I have seen a number of wolf scats and found two deer that had been eaten. I couldn't determine how they were killed but either wolves or winter is my guess. Still lookin
5/16/14 @ 8:08 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
A pic way back in the state forest. This is one of my favorite places I have. Aeems noone ever goes there. I did find an old loggers camp close by .
5/16/14 @ 8:06 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
These pics were mostly in the Flambeau River State Forest, one was on Price county land.
winter deer kill photo by ihookem
5/16/14 @ 7:51 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
Two weeks ago I walked over 10 mi according to the GPS. I didn't find any sheds. I observed things I never saw in 25 years of scouting the area . Walking through the clear cuts that were pounded every other year were almost untouched. Along the clear cuts adjacent to the swamps it was browsed on a little bit, but very little. I could walk about 100 ft. before coming across droppings and then it was most likely from last fall and was almost never fresh. I found 2 skulls from a year ago that i missed last spring, a fawn and an older deer. This spring I found 3 wolf kills. Two were fawns and one older deer. One was somewhat fresh cause there was a bid of meat still on the bones and the hide was still intact. It was not the coldest winter in the seven years of keeping tract. The lowest low was 35 below, it was -37, and -36 below , so it was only the 3rd coldest winter. for lows. It was cold longer with deeper snow though. I am quite sure the deer moved into old yarding areas and I only know one place they might have been and it was a 2 mi. walk to it and didn't bother. I did find a lot of wolf scat from the winter with a lot of bones in it knowing full well it was from deer. For the first time in 25 years I didn't find any bear, bobcat or wolf tracks . However, I did see some fresh deer tracks far enough back in the woods I doubt they were depending on people feeding them. They were there, but slim pickings. Some of the tracks were small most likely from fawns The snow only got to about 18=20" in the Hemlock and spruce stands according to our trail cam pics all winter. They could get around but were most likely stuck in the hemlocks and spruce swamps. Amazingly we only got 1 coyote on the cam all winter and no wolves. It will be a tough year hunting up north. You won't see the hunters you are used to. It will be much like 50 yrs ago . Here are some pics of the 10 mi. walk of the wolf kills , a beaver skull I found( most likely also a wolf kill too) a big cedar a bear seems to frequent and a little creek I thought was neat. In 10 miles, I saw an orange flag about 1/2 mi. off the road with easy access. As few hunters there are way back in the woods, it will be nice to even have less. The deer will move more naturally and with less corn in the woods I am sure I will see deer in the daytime.
winter deer kill photo by ihookem
5/16/14 @ 9:21 AM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05
"The DNR does what it wants" They did what they wanted, that is to slaughter the deer. Look what it left us, especially in the north. To criticize the DNR for not allowing any antlerless tags in the north is asinine. You may have not found any dead deer, but history tells us that bad winters kill a lot of deer, and last year's winter was one of the worst winters ever on record. You will also see a huge impact on fawn production this year. So, even though you may be seeing deer, you most likely will never see a doe with 3 fawns this summer, and if a doe even has a single fawn this year it should be considered a success.
5/16/14 @ 6:21 AM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
User since 2/15/10
i haven't found much evidence of deer kill in lincoln county yet but guess the dnr does what it wants.
5/15/14 @ 5:29 PM
BeerTownFyreman
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01
Looks like it was pretty severe. DNR is proposing no antlerless tags for the northern forest zone. http://host.madison.com/news/state-and-regional/wisconsin-dnr-wants-to-suspend-antlerless-licenses/article_76a1fdf4-7caa-5c60-a11f-accbbda9f073.html "Department of Natural Resources officials say nearly 40 percent of juvenile deer the agency was tracking with radio collars in northern Wisconsin have died since Jan. 1." Don't know how many total they were tracking, but that's a large percent dead.
5/14/14 @ 4:02 PM
drojsir
User since 1/30/08
I have been out quite a bit in the eastern Forest county and western Oneida. I have found a dead owl and a porcupine and two shed antlers. What I have not found is winter killed deer. I think the turkeys may be gone apart from where they've been fed but the deer seem fine. Anybody else been out?
4/13/14 @ 8:43 PM
VIN
User since 6/16/01
Five days ago sat in the living room having coffee and from 7am to 9am counted 40 deer crossing the lake going west to east. Later that afternoon saw alot of them coming back east to west. VIN
4/13/14 @ 7:49 PM
esoxtomtom
esoxtomtom
User since 4/24/08
was up in Wabeno Forest CO. this weekend went for a ride both nights before dark ,didn't see a deer.Checked for tracks in the snow along the road no tracks.I did find 7 skinned out beavers along the road.
4/13/14 @ 7:39 PM
Kuf
Kuf
User since 8/26/07
Found 12 dead deer (11 fawns) this weekend in the Spooner area. On one 80 acre piece I found 7 fawns. In areas with lots of deer, lots of fawns died. In low density areas, I think they faired ok.
4/3/14 @ 7:15 AM
Btown
User since 4/7/10
I was up last weekend in Boulder Jct, Lando area. We have a lot of deer that hang out near the lake homes/cabins. Deer looked suprisingly healthy for as much snow as there is on the ground. 3' of snow in the yard or more with 8"-15" coming today. The trails the deer travel on are rock hard. Get 6" off to the side and you sink in the heavy snow. Some year round residents are feeding them a bit but they must be finding food on their own as well.
4/3/14 @ 6:38 AM
freeguideservice
User since 12/4/13
not to change subject to wolfs, But The thing that worries me in the far north county's is when those deer group up in the winter if there luck enough to find a place to tuff it out with a food source once the wolfs find them they will kill the whole group of deer. They rarely just take 1 for food. If they can kill them all they will every time. I am keeping my fingers crossed there is any deer left where I hunt in vilas county.
Displaying 46 to 60 of 69 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE