SEARCH
MORE
General Discussion

Vegetable Garden

6/30/04 @ 1:47 PM
INITIAL POST
Paladin
User since 6/15/01
Who's got one ? what are you growing ? and how's it coming along? Mine consists of sweet corn , cabbage , brussel sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli ,cucumbers, zucchini, peas, tomatoes , peppers , acorn squash, pumpkins, and assorted spices. The cold wet weather hasn't been very conducive to good growth so far for me. But with warmer weather in the forecast things should turn out. I hope those of you growing fair better.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 8,479 posts
4/17/24 @ 8:45 PM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
PRO MEMBER User since 7/24/20
Yeah, I still don’t have any asparagus up!
4/17/24 @ 8:44 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
Dang im jealous of the asparagus! Just in time for grilling season!
1.64" of rain in the last 2 days. Looks like I'll be replanting the garden!
4/17/24 @ 5:58 PM
SkiLLz~4~GiLLz
SkiLLz~4~GiLLz
User since 7/29/21
1st pick of the year will be enjoyed by the wife and I with dinner. Should have a nice handful come this weekend also.
Vegetable Garden photo by SkiLLz~4~GiLLz
4/17/24 @ 3:04 PM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Had to run some errands this morning when I got back a squirrel had getting in underneath the fence, dug a hole and raised havoc with some onions. I will get him he’ll be back. But I am trying my old goose waver to make it look like a bird of pray. It’s flapping around pretty good.
Vegetable Garden photo by Bassmaster+recordracks 2
4/16/24 @ 8:57 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
FINALLY got some paprika to sprout! These took roughly 3 weeks to germinate. Glad I gave it one last ditch effort!
Vegetable Garden photo by Junkie4Ice
4/16/24 @ 4:49 PM
Kayaker 8
User since 8/28/20
Planted beets and peas today.
Was rototilling another stretch of garden to remove encroaching crab grass from the asparagus patch and saw the asparagus up about 1" today.  Should be picking some by Thursday ish.
Garlic about 6" tall.

4/16/24 @ 2:30 PM
wskiph
wskiph
User since 9/3/11
Built 2 new raised beds. Planted carrots and onion sts.  More Thursday and lettuce then ...some potatoes Friday 
Then wait for warmer weather for tomatoes and peppers 
Doin summer squash this year..never tried before. 
Probably cukes too
4/16/24 @ 1:22 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01
Junkie you can separate those and get individual bulbs.  Do it right away in the spring.  I noticed I had some of those last year and I separated them, but it was later in the season.  This year they call came back.  There are some I also have planted near my raspberry bushes that I just leave in every year and every year they come back, same size and don't produce anything worth digging up, though I haven't tried to separate those.  They're just there cause supposedly the bugs don't like garlic.

I also got the rest of my onions  and lettuce that I started indoors in last night and now am hoping for rain.  Man those onion seedlings are tiny and not easy to plant!

72 pepper seeds planted last night and 18 tomato seeds.  That was 4 varieties of tomatoes and 14 peppers, of which 8 of those pepper varieties were all different kinds of jalapenos!  Looking forward to getting some bigger jalapenos this year - at least one of those should produce some larger ones!  By the way, I won't be growing anywhere near 72 pepper plants, but I over plant because people like when I give them away - coworkers, friends, family, and a few people in the neighborhood.
4/16/24 @ 9:08 AM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Yes, squash also. As long as you support them with something either have to have a tree and or netting or a pantyhose or something. We grew acorn squash that many years ago we do not grow melons.
4/16/24 @ 8:54 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
BMR yeah this area was a secondary crop I planted late that didn't produce very well last year and the bulbs I got were too small for me to even bother with so I let them go. I got bulbs out ​of them but only a few cloves each and tiny.
4/16/24 @ 8:18 AM
Polski
Polski
PRO MEMBER User since 5/11/03
Bass, did you know you can grow melons on a fence?
Vegetable Garden photo by Polski
4/16/24 @ 7:42 AM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2

sometimes they produce more cloves or still are cloves  or turn into one big bulb. With that many missed, are you sure they did not go to seed and they are coming from seeds from last year?
4/16/24 @ 5:52 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
Finally some Garlic bulbils popping! I was starting to get concerned with the lack of growth but there are hundreds popping up now. Should be set for garlic for years to come.
I'm curious what the bunches of Garlic that sprouted from missed cloves last year will do. There are several all growing close together, not sure if they'll each produce a bulb? 
4/15/24 @ 7:36 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06
Wanted to plant some early spring stuff in my 8x8 area that i protect with plastic and a heating unit if needed on freezing nights. But when I tilled, the dirt was still mud from the 6 inches of rain we got. So I spent 2 hrs digging out mud and transferring somewhat dry soil from another part of the garden there.  Planted red onions, carrots,  Swiss chard, spring mix lettuce,  spinach and radishes. I plan for the first time to use the area in fall, I hope to say I harvested lettuce in December,  haha. It's just a fun experiment. 
Vegetable Garden photo by jaybeeturtle
4/15/24 @ 6:46 PM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
I do not have any asparagus popping.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 8,479 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE