SEARCH
MORE
General Discussion

Vegetable Garden

6/30/04 @ 1:47 PM
INITIAL POST
Paladin
User since 6/15/01
Who's got one ? what are you growing ? and how's it coming along? Mine consists of sweet corn , cabbage , brussel sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli ,cucumbers, zucchini, peas, tomatoes , peppers , acorn squash, pumpkins, and assorted spices. The cold wet weather hasn't been very conducive to good growth so far for me. But with warmer weather in the forecast things should turn out. I hope those of you growing fair better.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 8,712 posts
TODAY @ 4:03 PM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
PRO MEMBER User since 7/24/20
Had an issue with some kind of bug eating the carrot top. So that they are no more. Receded the garden twice. I’m not gonna do it again. It’s screened off and netted so I know it has to be a bug. They got a few in the buckets as well, which are 30 feet away and obviously a couple feet above the ground.
TODAY @ 2:11 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
Social media and forums are notorious for only showing the positive sides of life, so here are my negatives thus far -
Onions. My success rate of transferring my onion plants outdoors was terrible. To the point that I didn't want to bother weeding the section for a couple onions so I just tilled it under. Then I wasn't able to find any onion sets at fleet farm or the hmong market, so I'm just not growing them this year and will get whatever I need from the neighbor.
Garlic. Arguably one of the easiest plants to grow. Just leave them and forget them. Yet I somehow managed to overthink it and I believe I put too thick of a layer of mulch and then a layer of compost on top of that. It took them forever to pop through the compost and just don't seem to be growing as well as normal. Who knows, maybe they'll rebound by end of summer but right now they are way behind.
Sweet potatoes. My favorite to grow and I was eager to get them out. We had a night near freezing where I covered tomatoes but not the sweet potatoes. They are just finally starting to recover from that. The plants that I waited to plant until about a week and a half ago are doing far better.
Sweet corn. I had literally 3 of the seeds sprout out of three ~30 foot rows. Turns out my seeds were from 2020 (time sure flies) and they were just old. My latest planting just popped through yesterday with nearly 100% germination rate.
Everything else is going pretty smoothly, but gardening sure isn't ever a guarantee no matter how long you've been doing it. All part of the fun.
TODAY @ 1:03 PM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
The onion and potato mixture experiment seems to be working quite well
Vegetable Garden photo by Bassmaster+recordracks 2
6/3/24 @ 8:49 PM
SkiLLz~4~GiLLz
SkiLLz~4~GiLLz
User since 7/29/21
Wife taught daughters well. Strawberry Rhubarb pie.  
Vegetable Garden photo by SkiLLz~4~GiLLz
6/3/24 @ 8:13 PM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
One bottle there is many skilled gardeners  on here that can help you if you have any issues junkie for ice, Fish Love me, skills for gills, river, chaser, Polski, and Carpio and a bunch of other ones. Sorry if I missed anyone.
6/3/24 @ 7:35 PM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Got four hills and 11 plants of diva cucumber planted today. Supposed to be 12 plants but one was missing in action. Will have to pull a seed plot and throw one in there. Also got a lot of cages up for more with cucumbers and tomatoes that needed to be caged up, I have 36 inch tall potatoes. Not sure if that’s any good but they’re the ones that are mixed with the onions. I’ve been fertilizing the onions so we’ll see what happens. They have plenty of potassium and phosphate along with that powder to keep them from getting like mush I forgot what they call it but  Put a bunch of that on the taters. Looking forward to checking that out. Little lady put some strawberries in one of my flower barrels. It’ll be a good feeding post for squirrels and grackles ! She also put some lettuce for the rabbits out to eat in the spice garden, we’ll see what happens there lol. 
6/3/24 @ 6:13 PM
Onebottle
Onebottle
User since 9/11/23
Going to give this a try. 
Going to do cumbers on an arch 
Wish me luck.
Vegetable Garden photo by Onebottle
Vegetable Garden photo by Onebottle
6/3/24 @ 1:13 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01
Not sure where this one onion came from, but it's right in the middle of my two rows of garlic.  I didn't plant it there, I know that much!  It's already forming a nice size bulb.

Over the weekend it rained all day Saturday plus I was gone to a Cubs game so I didn't get anything done but yesterday I got a couple more tomatoes planted and put dirt in 5 more grow bags, which I put where the kids swingset ladder used to be.  Pictures later once it's all planted, but I'm pretty happy with how it looks.  Might be temporary for this year only if I make it into a raised bed next year, or I might keep them as grow bags in that squre.
Vegetable Garden photo by Fishlovme
6/3/24 @ 8:45 AM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
They’re thickening up!
6/2/24 @ 8:40 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
Nice rainfall after getting the pumpkin patch planted. 250 pumpkins, 50 bumpy guards, 50 butternut squash, 30 buttercup squash and 20 winter melon. Hoping for 500 pumpkins to donate to my kids elementary school if all goes well.
Vegetable Garden photo by Junkie4Ice
6/2/24 @ 7:45 PM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
One more get them at this point here it is not so bad.
6/2/24 @ 7:44 PM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Getting scapes this early is definitely not good. I have one out of about 60 plants. I will cut it and discard it immediately but it’s probably already too late. I was on a couple of day fishing adventure, and  the person watching did not watch close enough
6/2/24 @ 1:17 PM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Letting our neighbors pick some barb as long as they make me something with it.
6/2/24 @ 1:00 PM
SkiLLz~4~GiLLz
SkiLLz~4~GiLLz
User since 7/29/21
Strawberry rhubarb pie?
6/2/24 @ 10:34 AM
SkiLLz~4~GiLLz
SkiLLz~4~GiLLz
User since 7/29/21
Picking rhubarb today. 
Displaying 1 to 15 of 8,712 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE