SEARCH
MORE
General Discussion

The complimentary, non-gripe site

12/30/04 @ 10:12 AM
INITIAL POST
The Cooler
User since 1/21/04
Hey all. I decided to try a little experiment. It seems that the gripe site just keeps chugging along. Someone on there nearly every day. I thought I would try to have a thread where we could talk about the positives in our fishing, lives whatever. Things we are greatful for, things we like instead of dislike...Happy things instead of what irritates us all. I have my doubts that this will last as long as the gripe site but I am hoping it will stick around for awhile and hopefully wash away some of the negative vibe running through the threads at the moment.
Displaying 30 to 44 of 3,390 posts
9/26/23 @ 10:51 AM
wiscoarborist
User since 11/6/18
Non-gripe...I got an "invitation" to "join" a Mexican travel site this morning. I accepted as it's in spanish and I've been learning...and I'd like to travel there anyway...

First pic was a mountain called "La Senora que Duerme" (sleeping lady"...And it reminded me of a few minutes from last year's motorcycle trip to CO and UT...I was in Cortez CO headed to Mesa Verde. I had pulled behind a Dollar General to check my map and pour half'a cup of coffee when a Pepsi truck pulled in. I moved so I wouldn't be in his way. He pulled up,thanked me,then we got talking. Long story short,I ended up on the back of his truck - so I could see better - as he pointed out 'Sleeping Bear Mountain' (see,there's the snout,the belly,the feet...) and left with a few bottles of water courtesy of Pepsi.

Those moments are why I prefer to travel alone. Those things rarely happen when you're in a group...Or even when my wife is along.
9/26/23 @ 10:29 AM
wiscoarborist
User since 11/6/18
Westfield...Yiour story about the float tube reminded me about my kayak in FL...

My FL kayak is an 11' Hobie AI with an outrigger,motor mount and 2.5 horse Suzuki. Over the course of my time down there I'd guess I'd been checked by at least 15 wardens as well as several feds and county deputies....Feds 'cuz I was usually in either the Everglades NP or one of several federal wildlife sanctuaries in the keys.

One day coming in and there a warden at the launch. He asks about license,I said yes,I'll get it out..."don't bother,I believe you"...He asks about fish,I told him I had 3 mangrove snapper and a 'cuda in the catch bag inside the hull. Gave him individual sizes,did he want to see them..."Naw,I believe you".

"Now",he says, "for the big question: Do you have a fire extinguisher?"

WHAT?!?  All those fish cops inspected my rig and nobody has ever asked me that before...I've got nowhere to put it...."You could zip tie it right there,to the milk crate...Behind the engine" (where  - in the event of an engine fire I'd have to reach OVER the fire to get the extinguisher)

Um...REALLY?

He said he wasn't there to bust my balls,he just wanted to see me in "compliance". I said I hated that word but I'd pick one up on my way back to camp.

All good...and that fire extinguisher is now in one of my work trucks.

Next up? lol...The story how I got a warning (and a 45 minute conversation that included him giving me several good fishing spots) for doing 20-over the suggested speed limit on my motorcycle at 2am coming out of Key West on a Saturday night....Naw. NVM...But the "story" thread seems to be about drunken deer camp shenanigans. I got none of them. 
9/26/23 @ 10:11 AM
Fonzie
User since 1/4/09
Any pics Dave ?
9/25/23 @ 9:41 PM
wskiph
wskiph
User since 9/3/11
Glimmer. Unfortunately  you hv capd lock on....which online means your yelling at people....cool it
9/25/23 @ 7:48 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01
Wife and I went for a walk last evening around dusk. When we returned we could not get to the house where the garage door was left open. There was the absolutely largest Bull Moose I have ever seen standing near the open garage door courting a Cow Moose standing on the hill above him. His rack was easily over 60" and his manhood was about the same height as my Jeep Wrangler.. LOL.. We stood a good distance from him for over an hour until he finally wandered up by her and off into the woods.. reminder to take a door key with to get in the back of the house..

What a magnificent creature !!! 
9/25/23 @ 10:04 AM
glimmertwin
User since 1/18/11
Way to go TOT. Is the sling on the arm you reel with or the one you hold the pole? I’m guessing reeling …
9/24/23 @ 8:21 PM
toughontrout
User since 12/21/20
Hey Glimmertwin, been fishing albeit with the sling on. Also plan on deer hunting too ( rifle ) You can't keep a good man down & all of your prayers certainly are helping!
9/22/23 @ 5:59 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12
Well in those good old days we were to uhh  uhm naive to realize life jackets were part of the law. I and several neighbors had rubber rafts too as well as a reconditioned row boat we pulled from the town dump and we fished in 30 feet of water. never had a life jacket either. Fun times though. 
9/22/23 @ 4:53 PM
westfieldW
westfieldW
User since 10/9/16
Z you should have seen me when I was a kid I was all over the lake with one of those rubber rafts
9/22/23 @ 3:46 PM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/06
I see your point West, but I think that the swim rafts and inner tubes would be considered as toys and not something that you would use to navigate around a lake or river. 
9/22/23 @ 3:38 PM
westfieldW
westfieldW
User since 10/9/16
What about floating rubber rafts that we all use when we were kids and inner tubes out in front of a pier. Those are more dangerous than my float tubes that's for sure   
9/22/23 @ 3:25 PM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/06
If a life preserver is required for inflatable rafts and kayaks which also have multiple air chambers, it’s not out of the question that they would be required for a float tube.
9/22/23 @ 3:15 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12
Well if they make laws regarding lifejkts in 20 foot boats why not in a 4 foot tube? Lucky you didnt get a citation.
9/22/23 @ 2:58 PM
jumpsteady
jumpsteady
PRO MEMBER User since 12/25/01
Glimmer, 
I think if West got a ticket,his last post would have been a Gripe.
Unless he likes getting tagged. 
9/22/23 @ 2:20 PM
glimmertwin
User since 1/18/11
And did ya get a ticket?
Displaying 30 to 44 of 3,390 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE