MORE
General Discussion

Snakes

6/24/18 @ 7:02 PM
INITIAL POST
ttime
ttime
User since 4/4/06

What happened to all the Snakes in WI?  I used to see tons of them in Waukesha county, I go in some swampy areas fishing and or catching frogs, crawfish, clams, never seen a snake.  Used to see Water Snakes on Ashippun 

Displaying 31 to 45 of 528 posts
4/15/24 @ 1:07 PM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
PRO MEMBER User since 7/24/20
WI? I checked the thread out to see Florida stuff.
4/15/24 @ 12:46 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
PRO MEMBER User since 12/9/08
I took a brief walk about today and quickly spotted the first 2 snakes in WI for me this year.  A 4 ft fox snake and an eastern garter snake.
Snakes photo by SuspendedMusky
4/11/24 @ 2:20 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17
Close enough to a snake for me!   Lol
4/11/24 @ 12:50 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
Not a snake, but a legless lizard.  I caught this Eastern Glass Lizard today in the pine flatwoods of SW Florida.   We have the western variety in WI.
4/6/24 @ 9:22 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
Gman,
That color morph is just simply awesome.
4/6/24 @ 9:12 PM
Gman762
Gman762
User since 1/10/21
Here's a cute one. NOT in WI, but we have them. A baby pigmy rattler.
Snakes photo by Gman762
4/6/24 @ 8:58 PM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17
Plenty of snakes in the yard today.  Hank saw them for the first time today and was not happy about it. 
Snakes photo by Pool8
Snakes photo by Pool8
3/12/24 @ 7:40 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
Net,
I zoomed in on your photo.  Those are Chicago Garter Snakes based on the dark vertical lines that interrupt the lower stripe on the front 1/3 of the body.  It is a subspecies of common garter snake, found in SE Wisconsin and NE Illinois.
3/12/24 @ 2:19 PM
Get.the.net
User since 12/30/13
On a job today spotted this…. Foursome in the sun, yikes not a snake guy.
Snakes photo by Get.the.net
2/25/24 @ 1:45 PM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17
This guy came out of the mud today. Earliest I believe I've seen one. 
Snakes photo by Pool8
2/22/24 @ 2:42 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
With all the warm weather coming up, I am looking forward to getting out into the field and searching for WI reptiles again (along with photographing migrating waterfowl, open water musky fishing, pike fishing, walleye fishing, prepping for next duck season, etc, etc).

About 4 more weeks or so and I will start to find these on warm afternoons....
12/16/23 @ 4:41 PM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21
He was trying to stay away from “The Snake“ . Lol
12/16/23 @ 4:31 PM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
PRO MEMBER User since 7/24/20
Too warm for anything to hibernate. Remember a frog is an amphibian not a reptile 40° weather might slow them down a little bit but not like a reptile.
12/16/23 @ 4:29 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07
Wasn't sure where to post this, was either the snake thread or the turtle thread. 

Since snakes eat frogs, thought I'd post it here....

Today while river fishing (with some ice on the river shoreline), I see a frog sitting on a rock on the shoreline.

When I get closer, the frog jumps in the water, and I watched him swim away.

Don't frogs burrow under the water surface into the muck to hibernate through winter?

What was a frog doing sitting on a rocky shoreline when the outside temp was 42, and the water was 35?
9/28/23 @ 10:39 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
hockeyguy,
The garter snake you saw was definitely a sizeable adult.  I believe it is a pregnant female based on what I can tell from your photo.  You must have come across it just after it had swallowed its meal (large frog, toad, etc) as its meal bulge has not yet been pushed all the way back into the stomach, based on the photo.

In regard to its true size, we can infer that from the ground litter.  There are red pine needle clusters on the ground near the snake (needles in groups of 2).  Red pine needles range in size from 4-6 inches in length.  If I take the needle length at the max of 6 inches, I would estimate that snake at around 40 inches in length.  Still a sizeable garter snake.  The largest I ever remember catching (out of hundreds I've handled) was maybe 43-45 inches.
Displaying 31 to 45 of 528 posts

MINN KOTA - UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova
UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova
The Ulterra® and Terrova® are newly upgraded to keep you at the top of your game and always in the thick of it. More maneuvers. More capabilities. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
It's showtime. We've expanded the performance of our MEGA Imaging®? technology with the introduction of MEGA Live Imaging™?. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE