SEARCH
MORE
General Discussion

Raising bees

4/10/20 @ 11:15 AM
INITIAL POST
IceFishBaby
User since 11/26/01

Surprised no forum on bee keeping yet.  Getting my first package tomorrow.  Trying an 8 frame box, hear they overwinter better.  Should be a fun hobby.  Who else keeps?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 109 posts
5/19/24 @ 10:49 AM
chitowncrappieman
chitowncrappieman
PRO MEMBER User since 3/4/06
My late uncles and aunts did that also. Nothing like the pure taste of honey with out that added stuff!! Wow my farming days are trully coming back to me.thank-you my friends for reviving old memories!
Raising bees photo by chitowncrappieman
5/19/24 @ 10:34 AM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
PRO MEMBER User since 7/24/20
Yes, One Mason bee does the work of 300 honeybees
5/19/24 @ 10:28 AM
Fonzie
User since 1/4/09
When our kids were small, I used to raise Solitary bees (both Mason and Japanese Horn Faced).
After much trial and error, I just switched to buying the disposable tubes in 3/8" and 5/16" to put out in the Spring. 
Like BMRR, I bought the nice houses to protect the straws.
Finally, for me in the Spring, I found it was best to keep my over wintered houses filled with straws in a shady part of my yard. If the bee houses received too much sun and therefore warmth, the bees would emerge and become active before there were enough flowers to feed on...

Finally, remember that Solitary bees are much more efficient pollinators than Honey bees !
5/19/24 @ 9:42 AM
chitowncrappieman
chitowncrappieman
Wish i could snake,however you guys and gals are as fixed and solid as cocrete as me! One final thought with a  few pics to end this brief encounter and maybe change your mind ! LOL!!
5/19/24 @ 8:23 AM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21
Chi, Are you trying to convert Wisconsinites on the Bee thread? 🥴
5/19/24 @ 7:52 AM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
It could be we like to face them with morning, sun and blocked in the afternoon.
5/19/24 @ 5:37 AM
chitowncrappieman
chitowncrappieman
West Allis,suburb of Milwaukee right? Hywy#41 or the bypass? Really does not matter ,what matters is converting you to a cub/bear fan
5/19/24 @ 5:23 AM
44/45
PRO MEMBER User since 3/9/11
chitowncrappieman I was born and raised in West Allis. I've been traveling to the north woods on weekends for 57 year's. Now I'm considered a resident.
5/19/24 @ 4:57 AM
chitowncrappieman
chitowncrappieman
44/45 I surely miss that and herding Holsteins and milking twice a day by hand. got kicked a few times untili learned how to do it.. Boy i could tell you stories but not enough space to type it in. What part of Wisc are you from????
5/19/24 @ 4:48 AM
44/45
PRO MEMBER User since 3/9/11
BMR, I have built a couple of mason bee houses out of 3" PVC pipe yet haven't gotten any takers yet. I have it mounted under the overhang on the garage. Just wondering if location is my problem.
5/18/24 @ 7:21 PM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Houses are really packed with mud and eggs. And the one pic you can see a B just getting into the hole.
Raising bees photo by Bassmaster+recordracks 2
6/30/23 @ 9:33 PM
IceFishBaby
User since 11/26/01
Update.  Harvested 64 pounds today, 2 hives were becoming honey bound and no room to reproduce. Worried maybe of swarming.  Made 5 split so far, two hives have strong from overwintering.  Three nucs have nice queen cells, two new queens look good for potential. Still no chemicals or treatment. Genetics game working so far.
Raising bees photo by IceFishBaby
5/17/23 @ 10:38 AM
IceFishBaby
User since 11/26/01
?Kept 3 through winter out of 4 that I thought had good chances.  Split one hive 2 weeks ago, queen ?out today.  Took a picture.  Look good, need her to fly off, mate and return.  Will check again in a week.  Started a second split-but numbers ?are low, will see if it takes.  Will boost with bees next week if it looks like a queen cell is good.  Queen is pale, middle of frame, right near the ?wood area, big eyed drone bee looking right at her.
2/3/23 @ 11:44 AM
IceFishBaby
User since 11/26/01

All hives alive so far.  Mild forecast and not crazy winter yet.  Not out of the woods yet.

Anyone wanting to get into bees, now is when you need to secure packages/nucs and get gear.  On those 30 degree days, bees are out and about.  Hoping out of the 5 hives, at least 3 do get through winter and can split from there.  I am trying chemical free with genetics, so did not treat any at all last year.  So far, good.  But will see.  A risk, but so is treating and limping along weak genetics.

10/15/22 @ 8:07 AM
IceFishBaby
User since 11/26/01

Ended the year with 125 pounds harvested honey.  Made 2 overwintered hives into 7 going into winter.  Bought 2 queens, made the rest.  Did not treat once, trying genetics for veroa.  Starting to prep for winter.  Feeding lighter hives 1 to 1 sugar.  Fun year.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 109 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE