MORE
General Discussion

Hip replacement surgery

12/14/22 @ 1:16 PM
INITIAL POST
EYE_SKI
EYE_SKI
User since 3/26/19

Contemplating this procedure sooner than later. I've had a couple steroid injections lately. Dont seem to be helping. Anybody have this done recently?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 84 posts
4/19/24 @ 6:55 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07
Yeah, meds didn't allow for me to think about moving the jug lol
4/18/24 @ 8:22 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17
Portable bathroom too   
4/18/24 @ 8:02 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12
That would explain the walker by your end table.  Here I thought your mother in law had moved in with you LOL
4/18/24 @ 6:40 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07
Surgery yesterday went well. Much easier for me to get around with it being the left side this time. Doc said it was every bit as bad as the right side. Recovery isn't too bad, but Really looking forward to being fully healed!
2/28/24 @ 7:17 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07
Left hip replacement scheduled for 4/17, so just shy of 4 months. Right hip feels amazing and, just like everybody who's had it done has said, I wish I'd done it years earlier. I have a pretty high tolerance for pain and what I was under the impression was pain due to tendon tightness was actually the hip. That's completely gone on the right side but becoming much more noticeable on the left side now. And while the x ray looks like both hips were mirror images of each other, just having the right side done has seemed to increase my range of motion in the left. Can't wait to see what life with two good hips is like lol
12/31/23 @ 1:16 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07
Surgery on the 27th went well according to the doctor. Also mentioned the hip was really bad with bone spurs wrapped around the femoral head. So, here I am 4 days post op and I'm feeling pretty decent. Still taking pain meds as directed but opting for 1 every 6 as opposed to 1-2 every 4-6. Could see myself off them except for days with PT pretty soon. Getting around better each day and getting to the point where forward motion is nearly continuous, albeit quite slow, so we decided to add the tennis balls to the bottom of the walker. My dog apparently thinks we stole his lol. I need to remind him the green ones are his lol! 
Hip replacement surgery photo by hockeyguy39
12/16/23 @ 7:39 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07
Junkie4Ice, no the second one is not scheduled yet.  That's kind of my timeline as I know I'll have my 2024 deductible and out of pocket met for insurance purposes by March (thanks HUMIRA lol!!) and am hoping that I'll be free and clear of everything by mid-summer so I can enjoy coaching softball without looking like a coach who needs two new hips lol.  I would imagine the doc will have some say as well. 
12/15/23 @ 1:45 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
Hockeyguy do they have your second surgery date already set? I'd encourage you to push more towards 4 months after the initial surgery before doing the second one, if the pain is relatively manageable. I generally tell people 6-8 weeks for the bone to heal and another 6-8 weeks after that before the muscles are adequately strong enough to support the joint. Biggest thing I see is people running in to do the second hip surgery before the first hip is completely recovered, and they end up dealing with recurrent hip pain because of the added strain they put on the new hip after the next surgery.

Glad to hear they are getting you in to do it at your age though, a lot of surgeons in my area try and push off surgery as long as possible and it ends up leading to a much more difficult rehab process afterwards. The impact ​it has on the lumbar spine isn't worth the risk of possibly having to ​do a second hip surgery ​down the ​road, but that's ​just my opinion!

But hip recovery isn't too bad, you'll be happy you had it done in the long run! Best of luck.
12/14/23 @ 10:50 AM
westfieldW
westfieldW
User since 10/9/16
You should do fine hockeyguy! I have two friends that had that done and they are a lot older than you and the hardest part with the physical therapy. They feel so much better! You being young should have no problems. When you were all done you have your whole life to live without pain.
12/14/23 @ 10:01 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07
Finally went to an orthopedic surgeon to have my hip issues taken care of. 48 and I have arthritis in both hips in pretty much the exact same location. Nothing I haven't already more or less known for 4-5 years. But since no amount of PT or cortisone is going to get rid of the bone on bone action, opting for full replacement. Starting with the right side two days after Christmas, then will have the left done sometime in March or April. Add me to the long list of family members who've had it done (it's a family thing lol). Got a few friends who've had it done recently as well, and younger than I am. Nervous and looking forward to it at the same time. 
7/8/23 @ 7:01 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12
My brother had a replacement at age 42 due to a congenital issue. He's 65 now and doing fine. No sign of need for a replacement. 
7/8/23 @ 6:57 PM
Tarawa
User since 3/18/20
Thanks, recently saw an orthopedic surgeon for a second opinion..He concurred with 1st Doc that Nothing besides a replacement can be done. He was surprised I can walk without a cane, much less do my job. Did say I will likely wear it out and need it redone at my age.
7/8/23 @ 7:44 AM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01
Tarawa, my wife did, congenital issue, and sports injury. No issues with it.
7/7/23 @ 9:06 PM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01
Was 58 when I had my hip redone

7/7/23 @ 8:42 PM
Tarawa
User since 3/18/20
Any of you guys that have had a hip replacement done under 50 years old? 
Displaying 1 to 15 of 84 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE