MORE
General Discussion

Grill Recommendations

5/6/18 @ 1:49 PM
INITIAL POST
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

My old gas grill is on it's last legs and need of replacement.  A few family members have gone to pellet grills/smokers and love them.  But I'm having a hard time moving on from propane mainly because of the convenience.  Ideally, I'd love a Combo gas and pellet grill but have not found any. I saw that someone started a Traeger pellet grill thread and I read those comments but wanted to hear from people who have switched from gas to pellets and get their opinions.  Are you happy that you made the switch? 

BTW, I know that wood will give the best flavor.  I have a couple of wood/charcoal grills and smokers for the weekends when I have time to make good BBQ. 

Displaying 46 to 60 of 101 posts
6/21/18 @ 4:30 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

R chaser.    Boys must have their toys!   CARPIO 

6/21/18 @ 3:27 PM
Unreel
Unreel
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

I got a sweet deal on the Weber Genesis S330 2 years ago. 38,000 BTUs, 3 burners with the sear station burner as well. Stainless steel version. They were going for about $1100. I found one at a True Value that used it one time for a special 'grilling event'. So it was used for about 4 hours. I got it for $750. My wife reminded me how much I paid when I bought a new gas stove for the kitchen for $600. Priorities!!!

6/21/18 @ 11:11 AM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

My BIL has the pellet grill with WiFi - he can turn it on and control it with his phone.  Loves it.

6/21/18 @ 10:57 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I'll look into those smoke tubes.  But I do have a Smoke Chief cold smoke generator.  I had a hole in the side of my last grill where I piped in the smoke.  I'm not real keen on drilling a hole in my new grill so the tube may be the way to go.

6/21/18 @ 10:44 AM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

I find it strange that you have charcoal in your gas grill..

Prop, the trays from Amazen have a maze configuration for longer cooks and metered smoking.. and the venting in the tubes works better in my opinion.. But I might be a bit anal in my cooking and smoking..

I also use them to "cold" smoke stuff as well.,

6/21/18 @ 10:10 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

?????????

how do you guys do it? Making something so simple into something so complicated and expensive? 

Want to smoke meat?  Handful of soaked wood chips right onto the charcoal.

6/21/18 @ 9:52 AM
Prop
Prop
User since 4/9/03

Bugle that's why I have both as well. I have the propane for the quick things and use the pellet grill for chicken and pork. Pellet grill is much better than gas for both of those. Not just because of the smoke flavor but pellet grill never flares up.

I have a smoke tube up at the lake for the propane grill that Dave mentioned. Wife bought me that few years back. Honestly putting wood chips in tinfoil does the same thing. 

6/21/18 @ 9:13 AM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

I just use alum drip grease liner

6/21/18 @ 8:48 AM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)

BT.. Get yourself one of those smoking tubes or Trays for it..

6/21/18 @ 8:37 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I ended up going with a Weber Genesis gas grill.  I may pick up a pellet grill at some point but just couldn't go away from the convenience of gas.  

6/20/18 @ 6:19 PM
Jamie G
User since 12/2/05

Thanks for the input guys!

All of the cooking that I do outdoors now is on the fire pit.....i would just like something a little more convenient and I like the idea of smoking 

6/19/18 @ 6:54 AM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)

For smoking tube and trays and a like see here:

Amazen Products

I have a couple of these and they work well. I use it with my portable Webers when camping..

6/19/18 @ 6:15 AM
Jake & Dan
User since 4/4/09

I have the Green Mountain and I think Chemist has one also. They are in the same class as Treger and Louisiana but have a better temp. controller. It also will run at a higher temperature for searing and lower temperature for smoking than some of the others.  Everyone I know with a pellet grill agrees that whatever meat you grill stays moist even when reheating later. The Green Mountain is as easy to use as your oven and as consistant. A pellet grill will not have as much of a smoky flavor as with charcoal but you can get a smoke tube for added smoke flavor.

6/18/18 @ 7:18 PM
Jamie G
User since 12/2/05
Has anybody ever had any luck with green mountain pellet grills? Ive been looking at the different ones at fleet farm and it seems like the green mountains are built heavier.  I have an opprtunity to get the Daniel Boone for $500...what do you guys think
6/18/18 @ 12:18 PM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07
I was very close to buying a Weber genesis 3 burner gas grill this spring.  I researched all the different grills and decided this was the way to go.  Just couldn't pull the trigger on it, its a lot of money to drop.  I have a Weber Q1200 table top grill with a hose hooked up to a 20 lb tank. This works 95% of the time for us.  If we have company over I just grill two different batches since everything won't fit on it.  I don't mind this, just more time for me to be outside drinking beer. We grill about 3 or 4 times a week from spring - fall. I plan to buy it within the next year or two, kind of waiting until after we move.  Less crap to move around then.
Displaying 46 to 60 of 101 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE