SEARCH
MORE
General Discussion

Electric Vehicles here to stay

9/8/21 @ 12:28 PM
INITIAL POST
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

I just put my reservation in for the Ford F150 Lightning, cost me $100 down payment and if I ever take delivery I dont expect it for a couple years. Hey maybe something will change and I never take delivery. I got the ball rolling anyway.  Tesla maybe. For the money the Tesla truck is a superior product at a more affordable price than the F150. 

When will Electric vehicles overtake gasoline vehicles?

Displaying 76 to 90 of 653 posts
3/26/24 @ 9:06 PM
Mister-K
User since 7/26/22
My niece owns a Tesla for over four years. Last time I checked, she had around 70,000 miles on it and she was on her third set of tires. I googled it and they said the average lifespan for their tires is between 20,000-40,000 miles. Also if I'm correct, the tire warranty doesn't cover regular wear and tear, just defects. When you buy tires with a 50,000 mile warranty on it,  if they are worn after 30,000 miles, they will not give you new ones. 
3/26/24 @ 9:02 PM
joeblue83
User since 5/15/13
Yup, i agree that ev tires ​need to be replaced more often than ice vehicles due to their weight. All 4 of my tesla tires ​replaced will be 900$.  My ram 1500 diesel go about 45k on a set of tires and cost 1200$ to replace.
3/26/24 @ 8:52 PM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/06
Actually, not only do EV tires need replacing more often than ICE tires, but the EV tires are more expensive (avg. $100) than tires for an ICE vehicle. These statistics aren’t from Facebook, but rather Kellys Blue Book, Forbes and multiple news agencies that researched the subject 
3/26/24 @ 8:36 PM
joeblue83
User since 5/15/13
Not everyone flies on a subsidized airline flight either.
3/26/24 @ 8:35 PM
joeblue83
User since 5/15/13
Have 43000 miles on my tesla. Gonna be due for new tires in 3-5 thousand miles. 50k mile warranty tires. Dont believe everything you read on facebook about ev's
3/26/24 @ 8:22 PM
Mister-K
User since 7/26/22
Everyone uses "subsidized oil" but not everyone drives subsidized EV
3/26/24 @ 8:15 PM
joeblue83
User since 5/15/13
I get that Ev's are not for everyone. I would not buy one for towing or if i lived in alaska. Range anxiety is real for a few months after buying my ev, but once you get a feeling for it, its no different than any other vehicle. There are superchargers everywhere i gave gone. ( from midwest to west coast and to florida) never had a problem finding one when needed. I 100% agree with you about subsides, but the government has forever subsidized anything and everything, including large oil companies that have been pulling in billions of profits.
3/26/24 @ 8:11 PM
Mister-K
User since 7/26/22
and you need new set of tires every 20ooo-25ooo miles( normal driving )
3/26/24 @ 8:05 PM
Wacky Rig
User since 3/11/17
Just shocking that governments need to subsidize EV’s that are more fun to drive, cheaper to maintain, and cheaper to fuel.  Sounds like a winning formula to win over consumers.  Despite the government subsidies, the demand for EV’s is falling short of market predictions.  The fact is that EV’s remain impractical for many due to both infrastructure weaknesses (especially in rural areas or tenants) and vehicle utility issues such as range anxiety.
3/26/24 @ 7:38 PM
joeblue83
User since 5/15/13
Not everyone buys a ev because of emissions output, but because (in most part) there faster and more fun to drive than most ice vehicles, require little to no maintenance, and in my case cost 76$ a month to drive 2500 miles.
3/26/24 @ 7:15 PM
Wacky Rig
User since 3/11/17
You made me promises, promises
Knowing I’d believe
Promises, promises
You knew you’d never keep.

Popular lyrics that seem fitting to the posts of 700-800 mile range for an F-150 EV in 10 years or a 50% drop in EV battery costs.  Those who want to believe will believe because they are hooked and invested in the relationship / carbon dioxide climate change narrative.

Others may question why EV ranges have hardly improved for popular EV’s in the last decade yet will magically more than double in the next one.  They may also recall a myriad of failed climate impact predictions over the last few decades.  Some based on faulty computer models built by those with skin in the game.  It is 2024 by the way and we remain here despite a continued upward trajectory in global energy consumption derived from fossil fuels!

Promises, promises…or is it Predictions, predictions?

3/26/24 @ 6:40 PM
joeblue83
User since 5/15/13
Dont know if ev's charging are taking down californias grid. Might of been lower water levels in past few years, lowering generation of hydro electric dams and all the excessive heat they have had past few years.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/1883207/heres-why-californias-grid-is-at-risk-of-blackouts-in-the-next-few-days/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=WE_DSA_New-Targeting_2024&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzKGCyoqThQMViGZHAR3M_QiHEAMYASAAEgKeBPD_BwE
3/26/24 @ 6:16 PM
Musky99
User since 8/8/11
From the LA times…..

“California has seen more outages in the last five years — 99 — caused by “major disturbances and unexpected occurrences” than any other state except Texas, according to the Fixr website’s analysis of data collected by the federal government. On average, these blackouts lasted almost 10 hours; the longest lasted two and a half days.”

My buddy’s daughter is going to college at USC, he’s shocked at how many times she loose power when he is out visiting her.
Even last year while cooking tturkey for Thanksgiving!power was off so long they gave up cooking and went to a restaurant!
3/26/24 @ 4:20 PM
mskyadk
PRO MEMBER User since 11/11/01
Time to find your red barchetta, sadly 😥 
3/26/24 @ 4:19 PM
samfox
User since 3/17/09
The grid can’t handle the load, the only reason we have the capacity we have now is from relighting/ replacing existing lighting fixtures with LED.
Displaying 76 to 90 of 653 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE