Esox23
User since 10/31/01
 Chicago Cubs.. Where do we start
Displaying 1 to 15 of 11,964 posts
TODAY @ 8:11 AM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/06
Gillespie…The first thing fans do when things aren’t going good is blame the manager or the coach. Either one can only do so much for the player or the team and at some point it becomes the player that has to change his mind set to improve. 
A coach whether it be the hitting or pitching coach can make adjustments to their technique and the way they mentally prepare, but the player has to be the one that executes. 

Hitting a baseball is one of the hardest things to do in professional sports. It’s the one thing in any sport that you fail more than you succeed. If you’re successful a third of the time you go to the plate you are one of the best on any team. The fact that pitchers nowadays throw near triple digits and have multiple off speed pitches that they can throw makes it all that much harder to be successful.

Dustin Kelly has been at the major league level for the Cubs for 3 years. He was at their minor league level for two before being elevated to the majors. He’s been very successful at both levels in the Cubs organization. He’s accredited with taking guys like Bellinger who struggled with his former team and turning him into an MVP.  Most of the present roster that put up excellent numbers last year were products of his coaching. The lack of production from the Cubs at this point has little or nothing to do with the his coaching.Ultimately the players have to execute. This goes for all three phases of the game.

The changing lineups is the only thing a manager can do to put his hitters in the best position to be productive. It’s always going to be an ongoing experiment with the players in the game and the success that they’re having or capable of doing. 
I don’t necessarily agree with some of the things that I see, but I don’t know what they know or what they’re trying to do. I see things that I don’t like about the players more than the things I see out of the coaches. An example would be how Suzuki approaches every at bat. He will not swing at the first pitch no matter what. The opposing team knows this and can throw a strike right down the middle and immediately be ahead in the count. That puts more pressure on the hitter and allows the pitcher to throw pitches to the hitters weaknesses. Hoerner does this quite often too, but he is a much better hitter when it comes to making contact later in the count.  There’s others too, but these are just an example. 

It’s frustrating when you know the capabilities of the team and the success isn’t there. The lack of production on the offensive side and the inability for the bullpen to hold up is enough to drive us fans nuts. We can only hope we see them turn the corner and start being the team they should be.
Go Cubs!
TODAY @ 6:21 AM
Bug zapper 2
User since 10/7/18
Nearly all Packer / Bear games for years and years have been the Bears Super Bowl .
5/27/24 @ 10:25 PM
Gillespie
User since 2/6/19
I didn't realize being a fan meant you can't be critical of players or coaches at times.  When I sent that post last night the cubs had 1 hit through 6 innings.  There are 3-4 starters who's approach at the plate stinks and they either strike out far too often or they make a weak out.  Either the player or the hitting coach has to figure that out and come up with a better hitting approach/at bats.

IMO, it would also help if they had a more consistent batting order.  But what do I know, I'm just a fan.  The cubs have too good of starting pitching to keep losing close games because of their bullpen or lack of offense/ clutch hitting.

On a bright note, Happ is starting to make some good swings and contact.

Go Cubs Go!
5/27/24 @ 6:30 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17
It’s tough to win when you don’t have much hitting and even less pitching.  
5/27/24 @ 5:37 PM
Fonzie
User since 1/4/09
The Cubs are 1-5 so far in the ATL/STL/MIL series, just as I feared.   
5/27/24 @ 2:47 PM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
And what’s typical JJ?
All I mentioned on this thread was the Brewers fans and them sounding like this is their World Series. 
Like usual, you don’t have a clue. None of your posts make any sense. That’s what’s typical!
5/27/24 @ 2:25 PM
jawjerker
jawjerker
User since 1/14/02
And Zman is on here talking about the Brewers and their fans on the Cubs thread, typical
5/27/24 @ 1:47 PM
Fishlove
User since 4/6/24
HoHum!  
5/27/24 @ 1:32 PM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
Sounds like the Brewers fans are getting a little nervous for this series. All they’re talking about is the Cubs on their thread. It sounds like it’s the World Series for them and for the Cubs it’s just another divisional series.
 I’m sure CC will get an earful from the home crowd when he comes back to his old stomping grounds, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the Cub fans drown out a lot of it. Looking forward to seeing the sea of blue in their stands. Should be a good series as it means a lot for both teams in the standings.

Lineups for both teams listed below 
Go Cubs!
Chicago Cubs photo by Zmaniac
5/27/24 @ 12:08 PM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21
Good luck guys
5/27/24 @ 10:29 AM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
Sarcasm Carpio   

The Cubs skipper knows what he’s doing, as does the rest of the coaching staff. The Cubs out hit the Cards 8-6 in last night’s game and had 20 hits in the two game series. Giving up 1 more hit than the Cardinals in the series isn’t the coaching staff 
5/27/24 @ 10:19 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17
Even CHICAGO’s savior CC?
5/27/24 @ 9:06 AM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
Fire them all!
They have no idea of what they’re doing   
5/26/24 @ 10:46 PM
chitowncrappieman
chitowncrappieman
PRO MEMBER User since 3/4/06
Don't know MrG!.Seen enough of the pitching coach so far(does he know what he's doing)?  as well as a hitting coach??)
5/26/24 @ 10:26 PM
Gillespie
User since 2/6/19
Do the Cubs even have a hitting coach?!  Pathetic.......

The catcher position alone is good for 11 outs every 3 games.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 11,964 posts

HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
It's showtime. We've expanded the performance of our MEGA Imaging®? technology with the introduction of MEGA Live Imaging™?. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging Advertisement

MINN KOTA - UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova
UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova
The Ulterra® and Terrova® are newly upgraded to keep you at the top of your game and always in the thick of it. More maneuvers. More capabilities. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE