Esox23
User since 10/31/01
 Chicago Cubs.. Where do we start
Displaying 1 to 15 of 11,837 posts
TODAY @ 3:42 PM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/06
Looks like a little better lineup for tonight. They must be resting Hoerner another game to rest his hamstring. Hopefully Assad can limit the Braves and we can get to Morton early and often.

Go Cubs!
Chicago Cubs photo by Zmaniac
Chicago Cubs photo by Zmaniac
TODAY @ 12:47 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01
I joined a couple of Chicago Cubs fan groups on Facebook.  Every day there's a comment about a specific player who we should bring back down to the minor leagues, firing our manager, how the Cubs can't win, how great they are when they are winning, ect.  One topic that never seems to change is the "fans" trying to play manager!  Managing a big league team is way more complicated than it seems!  You have to know every player and what they're best at, plus the opposing team's players  as well. Now, luckily there is a computer for official stats, but you still need to make the decisions, as a manager!  No A.I. makes that decision for you.  I loved old school baseball where the pitcher could take as long as they want and there wasn't any clock to get the batter into the box and the pitcher to pitch within a certain time frame.  and I HATE the man on second base rule in extra innings! Oh, did I mention I don't care for designated hitters either?  The 9 on the field should have to bat. That's how baseball was made and I wish they would've stuck to that rule! Also don't get me started on the short game - where a pitcher pitches to a certain batter then leaves the game!  New rule in effect I believe last year where the pitcher must finish the inning, so we don't see that as much, but still - I wish the starting pitcher would pitch at least 7 innings and relievers would pitch 1 to 2 innings.  Oh yah, and the rule about once a player is out for an inning they can't come back into the game?  Why not???
TODAY @ 11:14 AM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
Well we got that out of the way (lol).
I’m hoping the Cubs can come home and start playing more consistently and get some wins. I think they will need to have all their players healthy (if that’s possible) to compete against the top teams in the league. Maybe when the Braves come to Chicago we can have some of our players back and have some competitive games. Getting a win tonight would be great like I said, but I don’t know if it’s possible to do given our current situation.

Go Cubs!
TODAY @ 11:01 AM
Gillespie
User since 2/6/19
Appreciate your thoughts and perspectives WR and Z.  I understand where u are coming from.  I understand and know about analytics and Billy Beane, Sabermetrics, Moneyball and all that jazz, as I too have been a student of the game.

I just don't see smart ballplayers or managers that hold them accountable.  Who bunts to move a runner or keep from striking out?  Who steals a base when the pitcher has a mental lapse and doesn't hold them on?  Who yanks a pitcher that comes in in relief and walks the first hitter on 5 poor pitches?  Who talks to the pitcher who's 0-2 misses are so bad, no hitter is going to offer at that pitch?

Give me smart ballplayers that know the game up and down the lineup and on the bench and I'll show you a winning team.  That's my philosophy anyway.

Thanks for allowing me to explain myself and for your thoughtful responses!  It still is and always will be a simple game.  As a manager, there is no need to overthink things and think you are smarter and better than the thousands who have come before you in the last 150 years!  Long live the Leo Durochers.  The Casey Stengels.  The Billy Martins.  The Jim Leylands.  The Sparky Andersons.  And even the Joe Maddons!

Go Cubbies!
TODAY @ 10:29 AM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
Gillespie, I think if you did some research on the usage of analytics in the MLB, you would find that it’s used by every team and organization. The degree of which it’s used and the money spent on an analytics department may vary, but it’s common throughout baseball. I urge you to look up “Do all MLB teams use analytics”. It’s the evolution of the game and baseball is in the forefront of its usage.

Analytics has nothing to do with teaching a player how to bunt, move runners around or make a play. That is done through one on one coaching and constant practice in those situations. What it does for the players (whether offensively or defensively) is to give them a better idea on what to expect. If you have a good idea of what could possibly happen, you have a better chance at responding in a positive manner. 

I’ll admit that this is not the style of baseball that we all grew up with, but it is where the game has taken us now. I’m only a fan of it all because it has opened my eyes to how complicated the simple game of baseball really is.

There has been quite a few articles and studies published that would help you understand the whole thing. 
TODAY @ 10:02 AM
Wacky Rig
User since 3/11/17
Pro sports have changed unless my memory is unclear.  Decades ago, I recall football players playing every down.  Basketball players on the court for 48 minutes.  Baseball players playing 162 games and pitchers going 9 innings.

Today, I see situational football with multiple substitutions on both sides of the ball.  Basketball players sitting for several minutes at a time.  Baseball bullpens used much more often.  But, baseball rules are different than other pro sports in terms of being unable to reinsert a player into the game once they were pulled out.  Why is that?  Will that rule ever change?

Until the substitution rule changes in baseball, it makes sense to set a lineup with the intention of the player playing the entire game.  In a 162 game season, it may make sense to both give players an occasional off day and play reserves in an attempt to keep them sharp.  A duty of the manager is to evaluate his players and keep his pulse on team morale.  While he wants the team to win every game, that just is not possible.  In addition, good players have bad days and less skilled players have good days.  Just as they have good at bats and bad ones.  I realize it is fun to second guess the manager but I suggest trusting his judgment over the course of the entire season.  Go Cubs!
TODAY @ 9:52 AM
Gillespie
User since 2/6/19
Respectfully disagree that every or even most MLB managers manage by that list.  Very few even come close.

It's how I was taught the game and played.  Not saying it's the only way.  But it does work well.  I despise managing for the one big hit or for the 3 run homerun.

If CC just held players accountable and practiced situational hitting, moving runners along, sticking with the hot bats, and not striking out so darn much, I'd like him a whole lot better.  I realize easier said than done, especially the part about holding millionaires accountable.

I care exactly zero if a big RBI hit was exit velocity 125 or 12.

Go Cubs!
TODAY @ 8:28 AM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
I agree with everything that you listed. Every manager in baseball is striving to win ballgames by doing everything on your list. The analytics used by every team is just a tool to help them make their decisions. It can give you the past and present information about every player, but it can’t give you the future.  Knowing the tendencies of each player both offensively and defensively gives you an insight into what might happen in the given situation, but there’s no guarantee that it will happen.

To say that CC is not a great manager just because of his playoff record isn’t being fair to him.  Milwaukee has never had a team that could go deep in the playoffs. They’ve had phenomenal pitching and some great players, but it takes healthy quality players throughout the roster to go deep in the playoffs. 

As far as the lineup last night, I wasn’t aware that Hoerner was a last minute scratch. It made a lot more sense knowing that Mastrobouni was their only option at shortstop. He actually played a great game at that position, especially given the fact that he’s never played shortstop in the major leagues. Having Wisdom start at third base makes sense because Morel is nursing a hand, knee and foot injury. 
It may have been a “B” team lineup and not the preferred lineup going against one of the best left handed pitchers in the league, but I think that CC didn’t have any other options. 

Today they try to avoid the sweep. Assad will be going for the Cubs and Charlie Morton for the Braves. I’m not overly optimistic about this game knowing that they could probably be using the same lineup as last night.  The Braves are one of the best teams in baseball right now and our record playing in Atlanta hasn’t been the best. Hopefully they can find a way to win and come back home.

Go Cubs!
TODAY @ 1:14 AM
Gillespie
User since 2/6/19
Agree with you Chi in following the gut more often.  The game is still the same.  The analytics are what's new.

I'm old school in my approach to the game:

Play good defense always
Hopefully have decent pitching
DON'T WALK BATTERS UNINTENTIONALLY!
Have 9 guys who know the game inside and out who don't make mental mistakes
Have 9 guys that can bunt at any time and in any situation
Have 9 guys that situationally hit (advance runners, hit behind the runner, sacrifice, etc.)
Have 9 guys that know the strike zone and who don't strike out very often (PUT THE BALL IN PLAY OR WALK!)
Have baserunners that know the game and how to run the bases
Play small ball
Always stick with a hot bat and a hot arm
Don't lose because of mistakes
Take advantage of the other team's errors, mental mistakes, and weak spots (poor arms, poor field play, weak mental attitude, etc.)
Beat teams by outsmarting them with knowledge of the game and of the opponent.
Sit players that make mental mistakes, fielding errors, or strike out a lot

Not a big fan of CC and his anal lytics.  He's a good manager but not a great manager.  Reference his consistent under performance in the playoffs.  The playoffs are a completely different ballgame, and one I believe you'd do better by playing small ball with good defense, not walking hitters, and not making mental mistakes.

Tonight's lineup was a stinker right from the get go.  Not sure what CC was thinking with that lineup?!

Go Cubs Go!
5/14/24 @ 10:54 PM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
There’s still a gut feeling to what they do Chi. You might say that the gut feeling is now backed up by the analytics to hopefully make the right decisions. 
It is a different game than the one we played as kids 
5/14/24 @ 10:47 PM
chitowncrappieman
chitowncrappieman
PRO MEMBER User since 3/4/06
Sorry but had to comeback and read what what some one has posted. Baseball fanatics like me! Yrs ago a team and thier manager  posted a line-up  with a hands down gut feeling. I'm tired of this computer style he does that and wow he fits it there! what has happene to the true game? When a manager could go with his gut feeling and post a line-up to his liking,exception pitchers. Tired of this A.I. Thing let's get down to real baseball like it was meant to be Sometimes I feel i'm lost and don't want to watch this sport that I truly love.
5/14/24 @ 10:38 PM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
JJ…You can’t do that because it doesn’t work. Every game is different and every series is different. That mentality would loose you more games than it would win you.
5/14/24 @ 10:34 PM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
Glimmer…I’ve been a baseball fan and a student of the game since I was in grade school (probably 60 years). The analytics used in baseball today has taken the game to a different level. There are metrics for just about every aspect of the game and there’s new ones developed every year. All organizations use it build their teams and run the day to day operations.

Counsel is an excellent manager. He’s not only one of the best field generals, but he has great knowledge of the organizational aspects of the team. As you know, he was in the office before he came down to the field and having spent time on both sides makes him different than a lot of other managers. 

When I question anything that he does it’s because I don’t know the reason. He’s a very calculating person and everything he does is for a specific reason. Not everything is going to work out and as fans we can be frustrated with what we see, but we don’t know what he knows. 

I have full confidence in what he’s doing and how he does his job. There’s a lot of variables to be considered and they change every day. I’m only a fan and want my team to win every game. 

5/14/24 @ 10:17 PM
jawjerker
jawjerker
User since 1/14/02
My 2 cents with CC, set a line up and stick with it. Understand guys need a rest but he would take guys from the leadoff spot and put them down #8 the next day
5/14/24 @ 9:52 PM
glimmertwin
User since 1/18/11
Have seen very ing  thoughts on how you Cub Fans  like CC…
Some if you distraught on his relying on stats, others not excited about line up changes… 
I can honestly say as long time casual Brewers fan that  I felt like Mike Mc carthy w/Packers, it was time  for him to move on. 
Not that i’m not appreciative on the great job he did for SO long w/Brewers. He seemed to take teams with so-so talent as high as one could ever expect.  Can understand why he let  Cubbies “ show him the money” and the cash to go after players the Brewers never had..
So are y’all pleased or p i s s e d  at job he’s done so far?
Displaying 1 to 15 of 11,837 posts

HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
It's showtime. We've expanded the performance of our MEGA Imaging®? technology with the introduction of MEGA Live Imaging™?. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging Advertisement

MINN KOTA - UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova
UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova
The Ulterra® and Terrova® are newly upgraded to keep you at the top of your game and always in the thick of it. More maneuvers. More capabilities. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE