Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21
Good job Cubs! 
TODAY @ 6:29 AM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/06
I don’t think CC has much choice but to use both those guys. They’re still down 4 pitchers on the IL and I don’t know if they had anyone else to go to. Both Ben Brown and Hayden Wesneski were available, but he probably has to save them both if they run into any trouble with their starters. 

With all the injuries that the Cubs have dealt with since the start of the season, it’s amazing that they’ve been able to stay near the top of the division. It should be an interesting month with all the divisional games and hopefully they can see some of their players return.

Go Cubs!
5/12/24 @ 11:16 PM
Gillespie
User since 2/6/19
Nice win.  Shakey bullpen.  Agree Z on the Alzolay and Lovelady comments!  Can't understand why the skipper keeps going back to Alzolay with games on the line?!

Alzolay, at this point, should only be used in 3 situations:

1.  Minor Leagues
2.  Blowout losses to get through a few worthless innings
3. Trade bait to any team dumb enough to want him
5/12/24 @ 4:48 PM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
I agree Chitown!
If I never saw Alzoley throw another pitch for the Cubs, I would be a happy man. I think most Cub fans feel the same way. I feel the same about Lovelady too.
Hendricks looked like his old self and pitched a great game for them today. 

Atlanta is going to be a tough series. Especially playing in their ballpark. The good news is that we have Shota going tomorrow and he gives us a good chance in every game. Their guy is very good too, so I don’t see it being a very high scoring game.

Go Cubs!
5/12/24 @ 4:41 PM
chitowncrappieman
chitowncrappieman
PRO MEMBER User since 3/4/06
Well the bullpen although a little shakey held on to get a win for the cubs. Henricks looked great  going 5 innings allowing 1 run i believe. Anyway just a 1/2 game back again with the cubs going to Atlanta for a tough 3 game series starting tomorrow night. GO CUBS!!!
Chicago Cubs photo by chitowncrappieman
5/12/24 @ 1:09 PM
kona77
User since 6/20/13

Z-  I stated Skenes "could be" a dominant pitcher. Have not given him any Cy Young awards yet  .  Do agree the other rookie Jones has even nastier stuff and looks like a "plus" MLB pitcher already. If those 2 guys can avoid arm issues/injuries than the Pirates will have a very good 1-2 punch for a while.  
5/12/24 @ 12:03 PM
Gillespie
User since 2/6/19
Thanks Z.  If he has that many pitches, it tells me that chances are his #2 pitch is not in the great or very good category.  And his debut was not that great either, especially the second time through the order like u mentioned.  But he is young and has lots of time to work on his pitches.

Not many pitchers in history ever had more than 3 pitches that they can consistently throw for strikes, hit their spots, and get hitters out with.

Like I said, I wish him well,  just not against the Cubbies!
5/12/24 @ 12:00 PM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
Glad to see today’s lineup has Morel in at 3rd base. After he left the game early with his knee bothering him, I was worried that he might miss some time. 
Chicago Cubs photo by Zmaniac
5/12/24 @ 11:54 AM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
Skenes throws the full repertoire of pitches. His 3 digit fastball is the go to, but he has a curve ball, sinker, slider and change up. 

I thought Jones was just as good in the game the night before 
5/12/24 @ 11:42 AM
Gillespie
User since 2/6/19
I didn't see the game.  What's Skenes' #2 and #3 pitches?  In the Major Leagues a pitcher either needs 2 GREAT pitches or 3 VERY GOOD pitches to survive.  An above average heater is not enough to survive in The Show.  I wish him well, just not against the Cubbies!

GO CUBS GO!
5/12/24 @ 10:25 AM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
I’m not sure you can label him a dominant pitcher after just one outing. He did give up 3 runs on 6 hits in 4 innings of work. Having 7 strikeouts and 2 walks was a plus, but the majority of those strikeouts came in his first time through the order. Let him get a few starts under his belt and see how he does. Having both Skenes and Jones is definitely going to be good in their rotation. 
5/12/24 @ 10:13 AM
kona77
User since 6/20/13
Just saw the highlights and that was a crazy game. Skenes looks like he could be a dominant pitcher and a challenge in the division.
5/11/24 @ 9:14 PM
topam
IceFishBaby
User since 11/26/01
C4azy game, crazier 5th.  But no white flag.  Rubber game tomorrow.  6 walked in runs, but gave back the lead in the same inning. Frustrating.
5/11/24 @ 4:45 PM
chitowncrappieman
chitowncrappieman
Well what do you know Cubs have tied the game 6-6 due to some poor piching by the pirates giving up enough walks to allow the cubs to score 5 runs to tie the game up. It's raining there now so we have a delay for awhile. Well what's the old saying? "IT AINT OVER UNTIL THE FAT LADY SINGS"!! LOL!! GO CUBS!!!
5/11/24 @ 4:29 PM
chitowncrappieman
chitowncrappieman
Looks like our cubs might take one on the chin,although they finally knocked out the kid pitching for the pirates.  5th inning cubs down 6-1 but have two runners on(1st&2nd base) 1 out 5th inning. Cubbies still have some time left though to catch up and maybe take the lead. we'll just have to see how it plays out. GO CUBS!!
Displaying 1 to 15 of 11,800 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE