SEARCH
MORE
General Discussion

Are you Wimpy?

3/11/18 @ 4:27 AM
INITIAL POST
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

Had a family reunion. Every year, I jokingly get called Wimpy by my family at these gatherings. The reason is, my mom was finally in her last week of battling cancer for 10 years, she had lymphoma. This was a few years back. Had some family around her bedside, and she said, “Every generation keeps getting wimpier. I’m wimpier than my parents, My son (me) is wimpier than me, and his kids are wimpier than him.” So I’m called Wimpy at the reunions, and it’s a good joke, but also true.

My mom was a kid in South Dakota in the dust bowl days of the 1930’s. She rode a horse 5 miles in sub zero weather to go to school. If it was 20 below zero, school got cancelled. She slept in an unheated attic with no insulation. Her mom and dad made several goose down comforters for her to keep warm. She said the total loft was 14 inches, measured with a ruler. She also slept with pet animals to help her keep warm. Her favorites were lambs and baby pigs. The pigs were clean and were trained like dogs to only urinate and pee outside. The lambs had an occasional accident. Eventually, her sleepover friends ended up being breakfast bacon  or lamb chops, which was pretty sad for her. But hey, gotta suck it up and carry on. 

She was tough down to the end. Her cancer doctor said the longest any patient of his survived with lymphoma other than her was 5 years, and she made it twice as long.

I was raised a free range kid. From the time I was 7 years old, I was allowed to wander the woods and streams by myself. By the time I was 11, I was packing a lunch and hunting  with bow or the .22 all day, or biking up to 20 miles to fish lakes and streams with my rod and lures in a backpack. Ran a trap line in winter. My best buddy and I would skip out of school in January on a zero degree day and check our traps. One day we had no food and were starving. The only thing in our traps was a muskrat, so we made a fire and roasted it. We were 13 years old. I built a motocross track behind my parents place with a skid steer and chain saw, it had a double jump and a supercross jump. I did wear every piece of safety equipment I could, because my Huskavarna 250 could do 70 mph and then my Maico 500 could do 90 mph. Had some legendary crashes. But I was without a doubt wimpier than my mom.  

My boys are good men, one is a commercial electrician locally and the other lives the free life on an island chain off Panama, supporting his wife and two daughters, working construction and fishing the sea . But they are definitely wimpier than me. 

What about you? Do you think everyone is inexorably becoming wimpier and wimpier?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 78 posts
3/22/18 @ 10:51 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

CD, its possible your kids guidance counselor is one of the "cool guys" who isnt on your side.  I know a small handful of counselors and did travel time with them over a period of several years. Friendly and fun but questionable people who in their 50s are still doing things I wised up on when I was 20.  The individual I still know and talk to is my neighbor near my cabin. Just talking to her, something isnt quite right with her there is a lot more to it than just my hunch which I wont go into.

3/21/18 @ 11:57 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06
Ever wonder why there is such a lack of respect shown to you today?
3/16/18 @ 7:53 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

I keep a cheapy F&F Hydraulic Jack in the back of my F150 along with a breaker bar.  I needed it for the boat trailer last summer - cheap insurance. 

3/16/18 @ 11:25 AM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

I'm sorry you got good at changing tires. That is something I prefer to be pretty inexperienced at. I changed a tire in 2007 and one in 2017. I had a pickup in there that I never touched the jack.

3/16/18 @ 7:54 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

One would think with all the advancement in technology that a better stowage jack coud be invented. All of them are un safe. Most roads and shoulders are not level and last time I changed a flat tire I had to park in the middle of the opposite lane so I had the vehicle stable and could get the tires to clear the ground. Good thing I was in a remote area with little traffic. It even says in the vehicles owner manual to always keep a tire under the vehicle in case of collapse. At least their honest if not savvy.

3/16/18 @ 6:02 AM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03

Kind of a strange perspective. So every time you go to a pool or lake with a swim suit on, you feel your walking around half nude.

I prefer to think of it as half dressed, but I’m an optimist.  

3/15/18 @ 11:50 PM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

I honestly think bottle jacks suck worse than OEM jacks.

3/15/18 @ 8:51 PM
RangerKid
User since 6/26/01

There shouldn't be any implications read into it. It never crossed my mind, that it could be taken as offensive. It was merely posted to be humorous, because of the title of this thread. Next time I'll try to keep my shirt on.

3/15/18 @ 6:50 PM
jawjerker
jawjerker
User since 1/14/02

I'm fine with my manhood so I will say Ranger has taken care of himself (if that is you )

3/15/18 @ 6:04 PM
RangerKid
User since 6/26/01

Kind of a strange perspective. So every time you go to a pool or lake with a swim suit on, you feel your walking around half nude.

3/15/18 @ 4:18 PM
fishs
User since 2/17/04

NO!!!!! Cause not many people have the guts or whatever it takes to do it.

3/15/18 @ 2:54 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

Depends on your gender I suppose  .

3/14/18 @ 10:13 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Have to agree Rangerkid. Everyone has a strong point and a weak point.  Most of us can and will do something that few others are willing to do.

3/14/18 @ 9:54 PM
RangerKid
User since 6/26/01

I think everyone is wimpy in one way or another. You can be physically wimpy, or not able to control your anger...wimpy wimpy wimpy, or have so much pride, that you can't say sorry when your wrong..wimpy wimpy wimpy, or don't have the self discipline and resolve to hold your tongue when it's best to do just that..wimpy wimpy wimpy. You get the idea. I do feel that a certain amount of adversity builds character, and that is what is lacking in many of our youth. It seems they have been given so much, in their short lives that they expect it, and are almost appalled if told no.

As for myself...NO Wimpy + sexy = me when I was 57. Bahahahahahaha

Are you Wimpy? photo by RangerKid
3/14/18 @ 5:52 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

Probably would go on easier if you can retract your junk !!

Displaying 1 to 15 of 78 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE