MORE
Fly Fishing

Trout streams in Northern Illinois

3/2/11 @ 1:06 AM
INITIAL POST
jbird68
jbird68
User since 1/24/05
Anyone know some good Trout streams to fish in Northern Illinois? Ended up fishing an Iowa steam last year because I din't know of any in IL.

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
6/8/19 @ 9:12 PM
Creekwhisperer
User since 6/8/19

They do exist.  If I could get the dnr to actually help protect them I would walk them thru a wonderful place in northern Illinois in a location they do not stock even if where they stock they wouldn’t overflow to here.  Also no fin clippings.  I’ve been catching them in this location for two decades.  This is a breeding steam and I wish I could get biologists to help save it I know it’s not natural them being there but they are breeding numbers over the years have dwindled who knows maybe some of you are in my same water. But for those who say no. Keep believing that and hopefully before too many people discover this anomaly it will become protected as browns are native to the location but I have not seen any of them in years just rainbows 4”- well it was 19 and I could barely get two hands around it    

June 2019.    Keep kids hooked on fish

3/2/11 @ 10:37 PM
l88m22vette
User since 2/22/10
Time to grab a beer and search some Google maps... Cool

3/2/11 @ 10:00 PM
undiscoveredsportsman
undiscoveredsportsman
User since 1/9/09
Closer pic

3/2/11 @ 9:54 PM
undiscoveredsportsman
undiscoveredsportsman
User since 1/9/09
Ummmm......No....no there aren't........ Big Smile

3/2/11 @ 9:31 PM
slydog1
slydog1
User since 2/16/09
Although i have been told there are a couple native streams 10-15 min. north west of rockford, but i haven't found them yet. I think the guy was tellin me fishy stories! Tounge Out

3/2/11 @ 9:27 PM
slydog1
slydog1
User since 2/16/09
I fished the IL spring opener last year in a creek in Chemung. It was so crowded i barely had room to cast the flyrod. I did land one and missed three. Gold beadhead yellow wolly buger. The trout are usually fished out by the second day of the opener. Ive had some great success catchin crappie and bass in the evening on couple spots i have. If your ever interested P.M. me!

3/2/11 @ 6:24 PM
inland sweep
PRO MEMBER User since 6/2/09
Now Northern Illinois has some great small mouth rivers that are a blast on the fly rod.

3/2/11 @ 4:07 PM
l88m22vette
User since 2/22/10
I agree, I hate that N. IL doesn't have any streams close to home, driving to WI or IA isn't awful but spending 6hrs in the water instead of a car for the round trip would be great. That said, fish smaller rivers/streams for other species, I know the Fox between Elgin and Montgomery has a ton (bass, pan, catfish, walleye) so unless you need trout there are still plenty of options. A fly rod doesn't have to catch one kind of fish either Wink
3/2/11 @ 1:25 PM
Flytrap
User since 1/29/08
When stationed at Scott AFB I went down to the Carbondale area a lot, camping and fishing. No trout streams, though Washington Co. Park had some nice gills and crappies.

3/2/11 @ 11:27 AM
Trout Seeker
User since 2/28/11
It's hard to believe southern Illinois doesn't have any trout streams. It's pretty hilly down by Carbondale, right? But maybe the creeks are not spring fed.

Tom Anderson-Brown

http://seekingtrout.wordpress.com

3/2/11 @ 7:44 AM
inland sweep
PRO MEMBER User since 6/2/09
I don't believe the entire state of Illinois has any true trout streams. raccoon Creek might have trout on the Illinois side in South Beliot, but I am not sure. The kishwaukee river I believe gets stocked with trout early in the year, but I doubt they last long. A couple other waters get stocked with trout. You can look here

http://dnr.state.il.us/pubaffairs/2010/march/trout.html

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE