SEARCH
MORE
Fly Fishing

Gills with a fly rod

7/9/19 @ 8:07 AM
INITIAL POST
Bigsv
User since 2/18/08

Looking for others who fish gills with a fly rod. I can’t imagine that pound for pound that there is any better fighting fish out there to take on a fly rod and I would like to know if there’s any others who share the same passion and ideas. 

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
8/9/19 @ 7:10 PM
RockRiverTom
User since 4/27/02

Hi Granddad I think that’s a warmouth. Not found in too many places in Wisconsin. You’re right, beautiful fish!

8/9/19 @ 5:41 AM
GRANDAD
User since 6/1/09

Big’s here is a picture of what I think is a hybrid Rock Bass Pumpkin I caught on Big M fishing for Gills. One of the prettiest fish I have ever seen!

8/9/19 @ 5:36 AM
GRANDAD
User since 6/1/09

Big’s here is a picture of what I think is a hybrid Rock Bass Pumpkin I caught on Big M fishing for Gills. One of the prettiest fish I have ever seen!

8/2/19 @ 9:21 AM
stealthh20
User since 2/18/09

Cant say there is anything else more fun, started fishing gills with the flyrod with my dad when I was 6 or 7 years old, Im 53 now and I still enjoy it more than anything.. the occasional crappie also makes it fun. My favorites are the yellow or orange gill getter and of course a good ol' popper, black or red and white size 14. Ive also started fishing a fiberglass 4 wt rod which makes it even more of a fight!

7/29/19 @ 3:12 PM
tunes
PRO MEMBER User since 5/25/08

Yep, love it

Gills with a fly rod photo by tunes
7/20/19 @ 1:29 PM
jiggin pro
jiggin pro
User since 2/3/08

Absolutely!

7/10/19 @ 10:00 AM
Flyrod Man
User since 8/13/09

I fish for everything with a fly rod. You will always catch more fish with a fly rod.

7/9/19 @ 7:00 PM
Bigsv
User since 2/18/08

Really enjoy using small poppers whenever I can, love watching the different ways gills hit. Sometimes hard and aggressive and other times just that slow “suck it in”

Small nymphs copper John or a pheasant tail using a slow nymph type retrieve. No matter what it takes it just can’t be beat 

7/9/19 @ 1:51 PM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17

Same here learnd as a kid on a bamboo fly rod,  used to.throw small poppers and surface bugs. Also larger ones for bass, was a lot of fun. Still have the rod sitting in a rack. Great memories. 

7/9/19 @ 12:41 PM
RockRiverTom
User since 4/27/02

Agree on both bluegill and smallies as perfect fly rod fish. What kinds of flies do you use? 

7/9/19 @ 12:19 PM
7thson
User since 6/4/06

Learned this in my teens from the man who became my father in law . Best thing I ever learned ! ( specially when I saw his daughter filet gills ) . Still do it and love it ! Try smallies sometime with a fly rod , Dynamite !!

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE