SEARCH
MORE
Fly Fishing

1st Fly Rod, where to start

2/15/16 @ 10:18 PM
INITIAL POST
GoldenRules
User since 10/29/13
I am interested in fly fishing and don't know where to start. I am a complete beginner and need some direction. Primarily I think I would start using the rod for panfish and smallmouth but I wouldn't be against trying to use it to target small northern and possible throw in a weekend of steelhead fishing once a year. Can anyone recommend a good starting point. Am I completely clueless to think that the same rod can accomplish all of these goals So far I have considered the Redington Crosswater and Redington Topo in 5wt from Gander Mountain. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts
8/27/16 @ 7:20 AM
Marc Morrone
Marc Morrone
User since 9/3/08

Agreed on the 8'6" foot 5 wt. - excellent all-arounder!  I even go 8'0" as it does most of what I want and is very easy to transport in 2 pc..

7/21/16 @ 10:28 AM
Flyrod Man
User since 8/13/09

8.5 ft, 5 wgt rod, 2 pc. spend at least 150.  Look at ebay for flyrods, new or used, some good deals.  Brand names.

3/4/16 @ 9:50 PM
John.Rennpferd
User since 6/3/10
You could go two ways to get started. Buy a quality 8wt fly rod, with a good reel, and horse the smaller fish a little. The other option is a good 5-6wt, and once you get really good at playing fish with the fly rod you could even fish for larger fish, even steelhead. If you think you're only ever going to buy 1 rod, and reel get a 8wt; if you tie into something big, and fast accidentally you'll be less likely to loose tippets, and leaders.
3/3/16 @ 2:04 PM
Bozo
User since 7/29/02
Before buying a rod I would try to get some instruction from TU or some other group. Orvis does an excellent class. The federation used to do that as well. If you take the time to go to a TU meeting I bet someone will help you. You don't have to pay alot,some exspensive rods are very hard to cast. If you live in the Milwaukee area PM me.
2/25/16 @ 12:50 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01
Based on your comments I would suggest a 5wt rod. Probably the most versatile for what you want to do. Obviously that will be under gunned for Steelhead in most situations.. but I've done it! Not crapping on the big box stores, but you get what you pay for. What I mean by that is if you purchase from a Fly Shop you also get the knowledge of the shop as well. If you look strictly at the components (rod, reel, line, leaders, ect) you can most likely do better price wise at a big box store than at a fly shop (not always the case). But if you do purchase from a fly shop they are incentivized to help you, give you guidance and expertise that will be rare to find at a big box store. Not sure where you are located, but if you are near Milwaukee go visit The Fly Fishers (96th and Greenfield). Full disclosure and many on here know, I am closely associated with them, that is how I know they are good. http://www.theflyfishers.com/ Both Pat and Jared (Father / Son) are experienced professionals that not only know their stuff, but like to help educate those that are new to or expanding their own experiences. They carry both Echo and Reddington products which are very good quality and reasonable priced. They are very well equipped to put together a combo for you that will fitted best planned on the intended use. Whatever you decide to do, best of luck, and most of all have fun.
2/21/16 @ 6:17 PM
Todd Young
User since 6/25/15
The St Croix rods will get you a nice quality rod at an average price for fly rod. My guys that guide for me love them for all applications.
2/19/16 @ 8:49 PM
crawdaddy
User since 7/11/01
I have 5 and 7 wt rods. 7 wt works for pretty much everything I fish for. ..gills, carp, trout. Both are 8'6". Where do you live? I may have an extra rod or two for you to try if you want. Always enjoy helping beginners. Agree completely with cast away on early ice out bluegills. Favorite style of fishing. Have caught gills on fly in central WI same day buddies hit the perch through ice in Minocqua. ..
2/17/16 @ 10:00 PM
'da Coach
User since 12/23/08
Check out Flyrods-R-Us Smile
2/17/16 @ 2:50 PM
fetch-um-up
PRO MEMBER User since 2/19/06
I took up the long rod last year. For what it's worth, here's how I started. I attended an Orvis Fly Fishing 101 class. There is a store in Milwaukee and Madison, probably others. They give you the basics, with hands on fly casting demo. You will also get a couple coupons for gear at their store. Better deals can be found at Cabelas, either bargain cave or on line. Once you know what you need, eBay has great deals on all assorted gear. If you find someone local who also fly fishes, they will usually be helpful in getting set up.............
2/16/16 @ 9:40 PM
amaranthlost
User since 5/31/10
I started with a 9' 8wt for chasing steelies and salmon in the LM tribs but I also picked up a 9' 5wt for bluegills and bass. Now I have 2 of each and a 9ft 6wt for bass and 7'6" 3wt for fishing the driftless and panfishing smaller lakes and ponds. My first 5wt was a Crosswater combo and a Scientific Angler for the 8wt but I upgraded the reel with an Okuma Sierra for each. The combos are nice but I found that I didn't like the flyline that came with them after awhile and then decided to upgrade the reels as well. My 3wt is the Cabela's Three Forks/Prestige combo with upgraded flyline and works well. The Crosswater combos were good starter setups for me but I go cheaper for the 8wt rods now because I'm rough on them in the tribs. The Crosswater rods have worked great with for my 5wt setups, though. Line makes a difference with casting, I upgraded but you don't have to. Play around and see first. You can find some steals on line if you look around, same for the rods and reels. I keep spare spools for each reel loaded with different types of line (sinking, etc) in case I want to switch things up. It's easy to start out with a basic starter setup and upgrade components as you go. I'm still an amateur by far but you can learn a lot by playing around. I'd also look around in your area to see if there is a flytying or flyfishing club. That helped me a lot and I make some friends in the process.
2/16/16 @ 8:39 AM
1cast-away
User since 2/2/09
I'm an amateur fly fisherman, % 99 of my fly fishing is panfish. I use a cheapo 4 weight 7'6" with my grandpa's old real on it. Crappies and bluegills are an absolute blast on it. I landed a 9.5" gill on it last spring and that was a hoot. It's small enough that I don't get tired fishing with it while wading. I did by a longer/heavier one and didn't like it as much. I always hook into a few bass while panfish in too, that a riot on a 4wt! Now your not going to land steelhead with a 4wt, but check out a cheap for panfish and then get a nicer one for the big fish. Fly fishing pannies on a light rod puts the challenge back into it....and flies out fish everything 10-1 after the first warm days after ice out.
Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE