SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

Trolling rods, dual purpose?

6/26/17 @ 2:44 PM
INITIAL POST
Lundguy2
User since 4/22/15
I've done alittle bit of trolling with medium wieght spinning rods and mini planner boards and have been thinking of making the upgrade to some trolling rods with line counter reels.  Question is are you able to cast with them?  I was thinking I would like to use them for river fishing on shore the couple times a year I do go.  Kinda thought the stiffer rod and baitcasting type reel would work good for cats.
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
7/5/17 @ 10:26 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Yes you can cast a line counter reel. 

7/1/17 @ 12:45 AM
diver hunter 1987
User since 9/29/09

I used to use a Shakespeare hand held line counter with my 7 foot bass baitcasting rods trolling for walleye.  1 line counter for 6 rods

6/30/17 @ 7:49 PM
taimen
User since 10/8/09

Yes, I use my diawa 47h&47lc with 10'6"eagle claw for sturgeon/cats on the river.the big soft rod is a blast. gear that does double duty is the right gear to have.

6/27/17 @ 9:36 AM
Lundguy2
User since 4/22/15
Thanks for the info, I just wasnt sure, I guess my thinking was a reel that is designed and meant for trolling wouldn't be the best to cast out into the middle of the river to get into the deeper channel.
6/27/17 @ 8:06 AM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11
I can say that Okuma Magda line counters do work for trolling and casting without issue. I'm sure most trolling reels are able to cast. And all the trolling reels I've used have clickers. 
6/27/17 @ 7:12 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

I cast some times with a garcia Ambassadeur 5600 line counter.It has the same 6 pin centrifugal brake that all Ambassadeur reels have.

6/26/17 @ 8:08 PM
crawriverrat
crawriverrat
User since 10/27/02
Absolutely.  I have 7' ugly sticks with older levelwind Mitchell's on them.  I use them to pull boards and fish for channel cats.  They are a little light for flatheads but work great for channels.  I put 20 lb. Powerpro on them.  As far as line counters, there are ways around them.  I just pull off an arms length at a time and remember what I took off. Repeating and adjusting as necessary.
6/26/17 @ 5:23 PM
take em 26
take em 26
User since 12/29/09

If you were going to use the rods for duel purpose you could purchase a clamp on line counter. I believe the clamp on to the back bone of the rod. Also i think they make digital counters. That way your not married to one type of trolling rod. Also you cant cast the line counter reels. Good luck!

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE