MORE
Fishing Equipment

Trolling rod/reel recommendations?

7/27/16 @ 9:56 PM
INITIAL POST
Night Eyes
Night Eyes
User since 5/6/06

I'm looking for some recommendations for a new trolling rod and reel. I guess I would prefer a rod and reel combo unless you really feel piecing one together is better for this. This would be dual purpose for trolling for Pike on inland lakes and for Salmon trolling dipsies in the Milwaukee harbor area, so a line counter would be needed as well. I have just been using my inland casting setup until now, a 6' AG Premier Conolon medium action rod with a Pflueger President spinning reel. But I am looking to upgrade to a more specific setup. Budget is about $150ish

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
8/3/16 @ 9:34 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

You should be very happy with those reels, they are made by Okuma for Cabelas.

8/3/16 @ 12:37 PM
Night Eyes
Night Eyes
User since 5/6/06

Well I decided to do all my shopping in house at Cabela's. I wanted to know what I was buying and try it out first. I elected to go with the Depthmaster combo with the DM 20 reel. It had a lot of good reviews and seems to be backed up by a pretty good warranty.

7/29/16 @ 6:56 AM
Sarahtoga
User since 7/21/16

Cabelas brand DepthmasterIII 45 reel (made by Okuma) -$50 and a 9-10 foot fleet farm downrigger rod ($20). 

I've had no issues with either the last three yrs (probably 75 salmon trips). The extra $80 buys your line and lures.

If you have any issues with the reel (I have 6- no issues) take it back. Cabelas stands behind their private label products extremely well.

I have the 10ft downrigger rods because I use braided line and need the shock absorption. No Mfg issues. Broke one- human error. Chucked it and paid $20 bucks for another one.

7/28/16 @ 10:04 PM
Night Eyes
Night Eyes
User since 5/6/06

Thanks for the responses so far. I will look into them all.

How about a secondary question of reel ratio? Its something I have never really considered before. But hooking into big fish in deep water, maybe I should be. 

7/28/16 @ 3:58 PM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

For a budget of 150$ you could get a abu Garcia 6500 line counter, great carbon drag,and it still has the antibacklash controls.Team that up with a glass 7to8ft trolling rod,then you can use it for casting also.

7/28/16 @ 12:30 PM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
User since 3/20/02

Diawa Accupdepths 27 or 47 will fit your bill depending on how much and kind of line you want to put on it. Spend way more on the reel than the rod for trolling.

7/28/16 @ 11:42 AM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

You can pick up an Okuma Line Counter from anywhere between $50-$100.  They are a good line counter.  You can get them as a combo for around $75-$80 at Cabelas or Gander.  Cabelas sells both Okuma's and Cabelass brand that are specially made for them by Okuma.

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE