SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

My Trailer and Truck

7/16/19 @ 7:21 PM
INITIAL POST
Cap'n
User since 2/19/05

When I put my truck in reverse to back up my trailer I blow the ten amp truck (2010 Tahoe) fuse designed to engage the solenoid that locks out the brakes when backing. Checking the blue wire no issues. Removed and cleaned the solenoid ground wire. Can I check the solenoid function without removing it from inside the trailer tongue?

Thanks,

Mike

Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts
7/22/19 @ 12:43 AM
Buckman
Buckman
PRO MEMBER User since 6/17/01

I know that in my 03’ Silvarado it was a 30 amp fuse, and I never blew one. Also had a 99’ Tahoe, same thing. The fuse was a square 30 amp accessory fuse. The Tahoe had the fuse already, but the Silvarado I had to add the 30 amp fusein the fuse box under the hood the first time I tried to back up with a surge brake trailer. The only time I ever had an issue was when I had a corroded ground wire. I cleaned it and it worked fine, but still never blew a fuse. Your 10 amp sounds to small to me, but I could be wrong. Just my experience. I still have the same trailer setup, but am running a Ford now and it works fine. Not sure what fuse the Ford has.

Hope this helps.

7/20/19 @ 8:10 AM
Fishn Jimmy
Fishn Jimmy
User since 7/21/01

Mike.....  most likely the brake wiring must have a different connection for the positive.. I have always taped into the back up light circuit wiring for that function without any probs..

Good Luck !

Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE