LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

How often do you replace your fishing line?

3/6/18 @ 3:22 PM
INITIAL POST
RandyPrice
RandyPrice
User since 9/25/17

I have a few reels that the line (Berkley Nanofil) is several years old.  How often do you guys replace your line?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 29 posts
8/20/18 @ 3:03 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I mostly use braid now so I don't change it all that often.  I use fluorocarbon leaders and those I change more often, but we are talking a few feet of line.  Can't say I ever really broke the braid off before, pretty much always the fluoro, so I don't have much of a reason to change the line on the reels.  I tend to use heavier braid on the reels and lighter leaders.  I do have some that looks old though, I may change that just to be safe.  But I bet it was on there for 8 years.  I even use braid for my slip bobbers, with a fluoro leader as well.  Up front cost is more but less maintenance.

8/20/18 @ 2:34 PM
wini
User since 3/27/06

I think its more important to cut off about 5-10 feet of line every so often. That the line that takes a beating. I also watch my line carefully when using certain setups, such as a bottom bouncer.

8/16/18 @ 1:28 PM
Carp King
User since 8/7/01

I replace the mono line on my most used reels every spring and when the line gets low once again about july/august.  The braided line on my catfishing reels i replace whenever it gets low maybe every 3-4 years.  I keep my partial spools for leader material so i don't have to cut much off the spool in a season.

5/26/18 @ 10:12 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

A wise man once asked me if the hassle of respooling your line every year was worth not losing the fish of a lifetime. Since then, I re-spool more often than likely needed. Because why not?

I ice fish every weekend of the season and change my line usually twice in a season. I open water fish about 3 times a year and still change my line every year. Someday I'll catch that fish of a lifetime.

5/16/18 @ 11:57 PM
h2ofowlmedic
User since 9/7/08

Pimplyswede, I fish 2-3x per week.

5/15/18 @ 2:42 PM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02

Mono: Whenever the spool gets below and 1\8th" or so on spinning rods. I pull off about 10' several times a day and retie. Fresh mono fishes so much better. I'll go through ~1000 yards on my trolling rods in a season.

Braid: I can get 2 to 3 years out of it. More on the 65 to 80lb stuff. I turn it around on the spool when it shows wear.

Keep it all out of the sun when not in use. I guess my point is I changer my line as often as needed as opposed to trying make it last. I don't fill my spools with the line I fish with either. Always use a generous amount of cheap backing.

5/15/18 @ 1:16 PM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

I fish open water 40-50 times a year. I use Trilene Big Game ten pound test. I can fill all our rods for $8.

5/15/18 @ 12:18 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Monofilament often, depends on how often you are fishing, but at a minimum once  a year.  Braids can go longer.

5/15/18 @ 8:00 AM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09
I have reels that have the same Fireline from 10 years ago.  Each spring I just pull 3-5 yards of worn line off and re-tie.

I also have reels that have mono anywhere from 2 to 10 years old.  When I tie a new knot and it busts, I grab a different rod, and replace line later on the one that busted.

Perhaps if I fished every day things might be different, but the rising cost of everything has me being frugal.  I can't remember the last time my line broke and it wasn't because of sharp teeth.

Those of you who replace 2x/year - how often do you fish?

5/13/18 @ 5:47 AM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

I mostly slip bobber and troll/drift. The mono on the slip bobber rods I change twice a year. The power pro on the drifting rods, probably never. The reels sometimes wear out with the original line on them. 

5/13/18 @ 2:29 AM
h2ofowlmedic
User since 9/7/08

My braid rods all run a 6ft flouro leader so i only have to change that line every couple years because there is not much cut and retie with the actual braid. My flourocarbon gets changed yearly or more. Depends when it starts to cast bad.

5/12/18 @ 12:02 AM
Thomas Droste
Thomas Droste
User since 1/1/06

All of my rods with braid get re-spooled probably twice a year. Mono and floro probably once every other month. Trolling rods with mono get replaced when my baits aren't running to the desired depth (usually twice a year). This is due to break offs or frays in the line or nicks from weeds, rocks, or other structure. 

I always have a backing on all of my reels so I'm not filling up a spool and only using a quarter of it then pulling it back off.

I might add that I fish rivers a lot and also in waters with a lot of rocks and trees/wood. I fish open water all year so my gear gets more of a work out in a year than most guys' gear will see in a lifetime. Nothing gets me more upset while on the water than losing a fish due to line failure.

4/4/18 @ 2:19 PM
david639
User since 3/7/11

A bit of advice when spooling braid. I seen this on a fishing show this spring. If you have trouble braid twisting, with the line spool set vertical try spooling the line from the bottom of the line spool and not over the top, the guy on the show says it works but he couldn't explain why.

3/27/18 @ 11:59 AM
MileMark_714
MileMark_714
User since 12/26/10

I wouldn't replace Nanofil unless it started to frizz,same with Fireline.Mono and such,I replace when needed.Once a year,unless it has seen abrasion or excessive sun exposure.UV kills monofilament/fluorocarbon lines faster than you think.Like those guys that leave their rigs in boat,exposed to the sun for days. 

3/26/18 @ 5:52 PM
Btw567
User since 9/22/17

I replace line every spring and as needed throughout the year but I always leave 1/2 spool of the "old" stuff on the reel as backing.  Don't have to buy so much line that way...saves a few bucks when changing line on 12-15 reels every year.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 29 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE