MORE
Fishing Equipment

Garmin Striker vs Helix

2/7/19 @ 1:47 PM
INITIAL POST
Squaw Bay Dave
Squaw Bay Dave
User since 12/5/18

I was considering purchasing a Helix 7 Chirp GPS/DI G2 and the Lake Master plus card for Wisconsin. My buddy has this setup and he likes it. The cost is about $500 plus $125 for the card. However, I checked out the Garmin Striker Plus 7cv which has down Imaging, side imaging and GPS for $500. Anyone want to offer there thoughts? I'm curious how their map system compares to others. 

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
2/21/19 @ 5:55 AM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

I have the Helix 5 DI GPS G2 w/ Lakemaster Pro Map chip on my boat and this winter I did the software upgrade and bought the new XI 9 1521 CHIRP ice transducer. Now I have a great unit to use on my boat to mark brush piles, weed lines and rock piles so when winter rolls around, I pull the head unit off my boat and put it on the ice shuttle and have access to all my waypoints and have the flasher feature. A friend of mine has the Striker 7 and although easier to use, is not as adjustable / customizable as the Humminbird. The biggest thing that sold me on the Helix G2 was the AutoChart Live. I fish a couple of lakes with no contour maps and in a matter of minutes, I can drive over the spots I would like to fish and make my own lake map. In the end, what really matters is how you plan on using the unit and how tech savvy you are. I want a dual purpose unit for open water and ice fishing that is capable of making my own map if a lake I want to fish is not on my Lakemaster chip. I get that with the Helix. My unit was also on sale when I bought it and had a rebate, making it within a few dollars of the Garmin. To each their own, but I love my Helix! Below are pics of a bridge that I drove over in my boat, and a school of gills ice fishing last week.

Garmin Striker vs Helix photo by Master_Piker
2/18/19 @ 11:30 AM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

FYI The Garmin Echomap 73sv is on sale at Cabelas for $500 right now.

2/11/19 @ 9:53 AM
Squaw Bay Dave
Squaw Bay Dave
User since 12/5/18

Carpio, Grace and Mr. Bass - Thanks for the info. You are correct, the display unit at FF Deforest was an SV but the placard said CV. Nice catch Mr. Bass. I will not buy the Striker without maps. I'm looking into the unit or similar that Carpio purchased. 

2/11/19 @ 8:29 AM
Graceonpoint
User since 10/24/17

I have a Garmin Striker 7 sv, that I purchased last spring.  At the time I considered the Helix, the Lowrance Hook 7 or 9, and Raymarine cant remember the model.  I decided on the Garmin because it was so much easier to use.  All the models I was considering were on display at Bass Pro Shops, with no help I could easily navigate all the features and settings on the Garmin.  The other models the sales guy had step in a show me how to to navigate through the units.   I figured unless I was planning on taking him fishing with me or memorizing the owners manual I better go with the Garmin.  

2/10/19 @ 5:39 PM
Squaw Bay Dave
Squaw Bay Dave
User since 12/5/18

Thanks for the info. I'm starting to research them more, but it's always good to hear from folks that have experience.

2/8/19 @ 12:55 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

The Garmin Striker models do not come with Garmin's mapping software and you can't add them.  You would need to get the Echomap models which come loaded with Garmin's own maps.  What the Striker models have allows you to basically create your own contoured maps.  Also to note, is that you can't use something like Navionics on a Garmin product.  I'd also like to point out that only the 73sv models would have side imaging, not the 73cv.

Having said all that, they have very nice units of high quality, are easy to use, and their maps are pretty darn good, so if you went with the Echomap model you'd probably be pretty happy.

2/7/19 @ 2:20 PM
Squaw Bay Dave
Squaw Bay Dave
User since 12/5/18

Thanks for reply.  I found the Garmin really intuitive/easy to use in the store (FF as matter of fact). Just got questions about the mapping.  

2/7/19 @ 2:02 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

I bought the Garmin 7sv . It’s advertised as “ user friendly “  I played around with both models on display at FF and liked the Garmin more. It’s new so I haven’t used it yet. I had the helix 7 and didn’t master it in one season but that’s just probably me.      CARPIO 

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE