MORE
Fishing Equipment

Braided Line (Superline)

3/13/17 @ 3:40 PM
INITIAL POST
Mad Mike
User since 5/8/03

Hello,

I have never used braided line (superline) before and was thinking about giving it a try this year. I was going to use braid with a fluorocarbon leader. When I was looking at different superlines at the store I noticed that most were sold in 125yd packages. Since most medium to heavy action spinning reels hold much more than that, how are you supposed to line your spools with braid if they don’t give you enough? Do you have to back all of your spools with mono? So your reels would all be mono, then braid, then fluorocarbon? Seems kind of ridiculous?

Any suggestions? How do you guys do it?  Any recommendations on brands for braid or fluorocarbon leaders?  

Thanks,

Mike

Displaying 16 to 21 of 21 posts
3/14/17 @ 8:49 AM
mvanhank222
User since 12/16/13

I would try to find either a 150 yard spool (also common) or a 300 yard spool. Either way back with mono tie an Albright knot to joint the two and just put the last 75 to 100 yards of line in braid you could try that with the last 62 yards so you get 2 spools out of a 125 yard spool also but that may be a bit short, its still almost 190'.

3/13/17 @ 10:38 PM
cnrwi
User since 4/1/12

I will back with tape or mono. Some reels have braid ready spools, if you want to use just braid. I don't buy spools that are less than 500 yards which cuts down on waste.  If you have two of the same reels, or a spare spool, and you have a 125 yard spool you want to use,  tie it on to one reel or the spare spool.  Put the whole spool of braid on, then tie your mono backer on and fill the spool.  Now take the mono and tie it onto the other reel with a arbor knot, reel the line in and that reel will be perfectly filled.  I almost never fish clear water so I don't use a fluorocarbon leader.  I like fireline, power pro a little better and 832 the best, but any of them will work.  

3/13/17 @ 4:41 PM
muskie nut
muskie nut
User since 6/26/01

You have to back your spool with something.  The braid is so slick that it will slip on the spool if you don't and you won't have a way to get a big fish in.  I normally put the  braid on the spool, then fill the spool with some old mono till its full and flip the line so that the mono goes on the arbor.  The braid is expensive enough that you don't want or need to fill the spool entirely with braid.  But if you did then you will have to tie it to the spool's arbor then put a wrap or two of electric tape on it, then fill the spool up.  Just remember which ever way you go, when you got good use out of that end, flip the line around and use the other end,  You will like it.

Displaying 16 to 21 of 21 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE