MORE
Dogs & Dog Training

Anything hunting dog training.

2/25/17 @ 12:24 AM
INITIAL POST
1fowl one
1fowl one
User since 12/9/10
Going training, training help, dog training pictures, where to set up, or looking to meet up and throw some marks? Anything hunting dog training related? 
Displaying 1 to 15 of 21 posts
9/3/17 @ 2:39 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

She is coming up on 19 months so prey drive has become manageable. Duff you gave me an idea so I called a breeder/trainer in idaho who purchased a litter mate of mine. He says his girl has no issues, scored a 112 in Natural Ability. I know of 2 other full sisters (not litter mates) who scored 112. So my dogs issue does not seem to be widespread issue within my breeders plan.  Frank in Idaho suggested to launch the bird much sooner and launch before I apply physical pressure to whoa. So will look at my training there.  

For wild birds she does hesitate and Ive gotten some fine points from her though with youthful inconsistency. looking forward to see what she does in the coming season.

9/2/17 @ 4:18 PM
Duffin
User since 12/16/10

River Chaser,

do you know anyone else with pup from the litter ?

does she point wild birds or flush them too?  Is there any pause on scent contact at all?

if I recall correctly your pup had over the top prey drive....

8/28/17 @ 7:42 PM
Surfer
User since 6/21/01

I was at Bong this weekend, strictly as a spectator. I have a 10 month old pup that I plan on running in Started next year, although I kind of wish I would have run her this weekend. I did watch my breeder run two of his dogs in Finished class. What a joy to watch his and the other dogs work their stuff in this class. Very disciplined dogs with obvious excellent training. Just watching them gets the adrenaline going to do more training and get out hunting!

On a side note, I hunt Bong a lot, so I went over to the area I hunt and walked back into some of the fields. Well, the grasses/weeds are extremely high this year as a result of the early rains. It's going to be hard to see your dog working in a lot of the areas. Time for the bell on the collar. I would much rather see my dog, especially this pup, at all times.

8/27/17 @ 11:26 PM
1fowl one
1fowl one
User since 12/9/10

Anyone run/test at bong (HRC) this weekend? How was it? D@mn, wish I wasn't so busy. Really miss running the girl.

7/29/17 @ 10:10 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

For the past few weeks Ive been really focusing on trying to bring out the point in my 16 month old Griffon. She seems to be missing that pointing  gene :^) Using the Mo Lindley method with pinch collar with planted pigeons. Hard to tell if she is getting the message so its frustrating.  I shot a pigeon for her today and she responded with a beautiful fetch. She is getting the hang of the fetch real well.

6/25/17 @ 11:57 AM
1-ICEHOLER
1-ICEHOLER
User since 12/14/09

Wisconsin River Chapter of NAVHDA is having a meet and greet at Sun Prairie Cabela's July 1st from 10am-4pm. Members are bringing some interesting breeds to meet public and share info on training.

4/24/17 @ 10:55 AM
JMTieds
User since 3/28/11

Sheepdog; it looks like you've got an empty middle kennel to fill yet?.... PM me if your interested in doing so, I have one black male left out of a litter of 11 pups. Will be ready to go home on Saturday May 6th @ 7 weeks and 4 days old....let me know.

Anything hunting dog training. photo by JMTieds
4/23/17 @ 4:57 PM
SHEEPD0G
SHEEPD0G
User since 5/22/12

The boys approve of their new kennel!  

Anything hunting dog training. photo by SHEEPD0G
4/3/17 @ 3:45 PM
mac da gaff
mac da gaff
PRO MEMBER User since 9/23/01

Thanks River Chaser I will work on this during the summer.

Mac.

4/2/17 @ 10:19 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

steady to flush

4/2/17 @ 9:25 AM
mac da gaff
mac da gaff
PRO MEMBER User since 9/23/01

Ne to brake my 3yr old Springer from chasing flushed birds.

What is the best training method?

3/24/17 @ 12:00 PM
SHEEPD0G
SHEEPD0G
User since 5/22/12

Now that the weather is starting to look a little more favorable we'll get back to training 3-4 days a week. It feels like it's been a long winter, only got out once a week or so to run blinds over winter so the older dog is a little heavy from sleeping in the sun all winter. It's gonna be a good summer, may run a test or 2 with the old workhorse that will be 6 in August, and the new pup turns 10 weeks old tomorrow. Not likely he's gonna see the blind this year, depends how fast he matures and if I can get him through swim by before the season starts. And I'm 3 weeks from heading down to Ainley to get my new truck kennel  

Anything hunting dog training. photo by SHEEPD0G
3/19/17 @ 11:41 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

No worries, pups a year old and progressing with training. Just funny how she puts on a show of rebellion then proceeds to carry around a fire log with no problem.  

3/17/17 @ 4:38 PM
1fowl one
1fowl one
User since 12/9/10

River, how old is your pup? He or she have all adult teeth now? What method are you using toe hitch, ear pinch..? Couple things right off the hip. IMO. change to a paint roller. Be stern and consistent. You're only going to get a couple seconds of a hold at first. And that's great. Work on it for five minutes, 2-3 times a day. It will all of a sudden click. But you will be picking the roller up a lot. 

3/17/17 @ 12:46 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Ive been working on beginners force fetch with a 1 inch diameter cedar stick. The dog acts like she cant handle it, wants to spit it out, cant hold it blah blah blah, like a rebellious teenager. So when thats over I go split firewood and she is most able to steal 8 pound logs and carry them 200 feet away, then proceed to chew them to bits.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 21 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE